SFO luggage storage or lounge planning guide?

I will be flying to SFO and arrive at 8:30 by Southwest, and then connect to Air Canada to YVR at 5pm. I am wondering if SFO has luggage storage service available, or how can I plan the lounge visit to kill the time?

1. I have Priority Pass, but I also have check-in luggage. I assume I need to pick it up from baggage claim first, which is outside of the security area, so I can't really go back in, is that correct?

2. How early can I check in do baggage drop at Air Canada counter? Is the counter staffed during business hour or only couple hours before flight?

3 hours ago, mkkao924 said:

1. I have Priority Pass, but I also have check-in luggage. I assume I need to pick it up from baggage claim first, which is outside of the security area, so I can't really go back in, is that correct?

That is correct-- Southwest and Air Canada don't have an interline or codeshare agreement so your luggage will go out onto the Southwest baggage carousel on arrival in SFO and you'll need leave airside to retrieve it and check it in at Air Canada. Then go back through security. 

3 hours ago, mkkao924 said:

2. How early can I check in do baggage drop at Air Canada counter? Is the counter staffed during business hour or only couple hours before flight?

Air Canada allows you to check your bags up to 4 hours prior to your flight so this is where the issue comes in-- you technically aren't eligible to check bags in until 1pm. It's possible they might let you earlier but chances are low. The only way to do what you're talking about, and spend the entire time airside in a lounge, would be to only bring carry on luggage and not check. 

There are multiple departures daily throughout the day so the Air Canada desk should be staffed continually during the day (vs sometimes where an airline only has one departure a day and the desk staff only come on at a certain time). 

The lounges do have luggage storage but take a look on the Priority Pass website-- the hours vary and some are closed in the middle of the day like the Virgin Clubhouse which only opens to service the Virgin Atlantic departures earlier in the day and later on. 

Also most Priority Pass locations have a 3 hour limit which they do enforce. 

Honestly-- if I were in your situation and had to check luggage, I would just head downtown for lunch and to hang out for a bit and then Uber back to the airport in the afternoon or get a day room at the Grand Hyatt on airport property. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

That is correct-- Southwest and Air Canada don't have an interline or codeshare agreement so your luggage will go out onto the Southwest baggage carousel on arrival in SFO and you'll need leave airside to retrieve it and check it in at Air Canada. Then go back through security. 

Air Canada allows you to check your bags up to 4 hours prior to your flight so this is where the issue comes in-- you technically aren't eligible to check bags in until 1pm. It's possible they might let you earlier but chances are low. The only way to do what you're talking about, and spend the entire time airside in a lounge, would be to only bring carry on luggage and not check. 

There are multiple departures daily throughout the day so the Air Canada desk should be staffed continually during the day (vs sometimes where an airline only has one departure a day and the desk staff only come on at a certain time). 

The lounges do have luggage storage but take a look on the Priority Pass website-- the hours vary and some are closed in the middle of the day like the Virgin Clubhouse which only opens to service the Virgin Atlantic departures earlier in the day and later on. 

Also most Priority Pass locations have a 3 hour limit which they do enforce. 

Honestly-- if I were in your situation and had to check luggage, I would just head downtown for lunch and to hang out for a bit and then Uber back to the airport in the afternoon or get a day room at the Grand Hyatt on airport property. 

Unfortunately, I do need to check in luggage. I am typically a light traveller (for business) and do carry on only, but since this is for our 7 day Alaska cruise, the carry on is not gonna fit.

I thought about going to downtown for a tour, but the bulky luggage is only thing stopping me. If there is a luggage storage at SFO then I am happy to leave my luggage there and do a short tour.

I guess I will try to beg Air Canada counter to let me check in and use their lounge (booked business class for this flight), and if that's no go, then I will drag the luggage to downtown and find a luggage storage.

Interestingly, changing flight is in my cards.

I could do a same day flight change with Southwest, and arrive SFO around noon. Now with busy summer travel, I am not sure if any flight delay will cause interruption for my second flight.

The give some perspective, I was originally planning to stay in Bay Area for couple days, but the reason of staying Bay Area is gone, so either I stay in Bay Area for 2 days doing nothing, or fly to SFO the same day of my SFO - YVR flight.

11 minutes ago, mkkao924 said:

Interestingly, changing flight is in my cards.

I could do a same day flight change with Southwest, and arrive SFO around noon. Now with busy summer travel, I am not sure if any flight delay will cause interruption for my second flight.

The give some perspective, I was originally planning to stay in Bay Area for couple days, but the reason of staying Bay Area is gone, so either I stay in Bay Area for 2 days doing nothing, or fly to SFO the same day of my SFO - YVR flight.

I was sort of thinking about getting rid of the Southwest flight; that poses all sort of difficulties with connections to Air Canada and/or United to YVR.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mkkao924 said:

I thought about going to downtown for a tour, but the bulky luggage is only thing stopping me. If there is a luggage storage at SFO then I am happy to leave my luggage there and do a short tour.

Any nicer hotel downtown would happily store your luggage for a nice tip to the bellman if you were stopping in for coffee, drink, or a meal. 

19 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I was sort of thinking about getting rid of the Southwest flight; that poses all sort of difficulties with connections to Air Canada and/or United to YVR.

This. Switching to Air Canada or a Star Alliance member like United will solve the checked luggage issue. Just make sure if you do that you link the two itineraries as they will be on separate tickets and if they're not linked your luggage will not carry over to the next flight. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 7:17 AM, mkkao924 said:

I will be flying to SFO and arrive at 8:30 by Southwest, and then connect to Air Canada to YVR at 5pm. I am wondering if SFO has luggage storage service available

The travel agency at SFO has luggage storage, but they charge an arm and a leg.

Any particular reason you're opting for Southwest on the first leg?  SFO is a United hub so they should have a flight and United will check luggage through on separate tickets so long as it is not Basic Economy and the other airline is a Star Alliance partner (which Air Canada is).

4 hours ago, BOB999 said:

Any particular reason you're opting for Southwest on the first leg?  SFO is a United hub so they should have a flight and United will check luggage through on separate tickets so long as it is not Basic Economy and the other airline is a Star Alliance partner (which Air Canada is).

My "first leg" being Southwest was because it was supposed to be a flight 2 days before the "second leg". I originally planned to stay in SF for 2 days, but that plan got squashed, so I changed the ticket to be the same day.

That being said, I can look into booking a United ticket instead. If I understand you correctly, as long as I don't book basic economy ticket, even though it has total different booking number than the Air Canada flight, I can ask for the luggage to go to YVR directly? I have never done things like this before, so I want to make sure I get it right.

Since I don't have status with United and I have checked in luggage, I may just book the United First class. My understanding is that domestic United first class cannot use United lounge. Is that correct?

10 hours ago, mkkao924 said:

If I understand you correctly, as long as I don't book basic economy ticket, even though it has total different booking number than the Air Canada flight, I can ask for the luggage to go to YVR directly? I have never done things like this before, so I want to make sure I get it right.

So both tickets will be under different reservation numbers. You'll need to call United (since that will be the originating carrier) and have that ticket linked to your existing Air Canada ticket. When you check the bag at your departure they will then check it through to YVR. 

I would highly recommend doing this over the phone ahead of time-- it can take a little bit of time and not fun to do it at the airport checking in. 

10 hours ago, mkkao924 said:

Since I don't have status with United and I have checked in luggage, I may just book the United First class. My understanding is that domestic United first class cannot use United lounge. Is that correct?

That is correct. Most US legacy carriers don't provide lounge for domestic first class with the exception of domestic transcon flights in first. 

• Like 1

Some follow up questions:

1. If I do this, where do I get the boarding pass for the SFO - YVR flight? Do I go out to AC counter in SFO to get my boarding pass?

2. Now I don't need to worry about check in luggage, I assume I am free to go into city for a few hours and come back for my second leg flight?

3. If I happen to go shopping and need to check in another luggage (within luggage limit of course), can I still do that at SFO AC counter?

5 minutes ago, mkkao924 said:

1. If I do this, where do I get the boarding pass for the SFO - YVR flight? Do I go out to AC counter in SFO to get my boarding pass?

Air Canada will have a desk airside you can get it at or you can just check in on your phone and use it as your boarding pass. If you are going to leave the terminal to go downtown you can just get it before security as well where you would normally check in. 

6 minutes ago, mkkao924 said:

2. Now I don't need to worry about check in luggage, I assume I am free to go into city for a few hours and come back for my second leg flight?

You can do that. 

7 minutes ago, mkkao924 said:

3. If I happen to go shopping and need to check in another luggage (within luggage limit of course), can I still do that at SFO AC counter?

You could by showing your boarding pass. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may need some further guidance.

I went ahead to book United flight, but when I called (during the IT system meltdown, no less), I was told that since the second ticket was booked with Air Canada, there is nothing they can do. She also mentioned such service is only provided to Gold or above member.

I am not sure if this is true, or I should try to call back again with different agent. She did say I can try to talk to airport agent when checking in, but there is no way for her to link the two booking number.

8 minutes ago, mkkao924 said:

I think I may need some further guidance.

I went ahead to book United flight, but when I called (during the IT system meltdown, no less), I was told that since the second ticket was booked with Air Canada, there is nothing they can do. She also mentioned such service is only provided to Gold or above member.

I am not sure if this is true, or I should try to call back again with different agent. She did say I can try to talk to airport agent when checking in, but there is no way for her to link the two booking number.

Call Air Canada and see whether they can adjust your flight tickets/purchase so it's all on one ticket number.

On 7/10/2024 at 11:13 AM, princeton123211 said:

Switching to Air Canada or a Star Alliance member like United will solve the checked luggage issue. 

Plus, you can buy United lounge access.  

8 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

For $60 you can pay for lounge access with United.  

Lounge access is not my major concern. Even with lounge access, I still need to go to baggage claim to pick up my check-in luggage and take it with me the whole time until I can check in with Air Canada which is 6 hours later.

I am flying business class with Air Canada so I can always go to their new Maple Leaf lounge in SFO.

The only reason I book United is so that the luggage can seamlessly transfer to Air Canada (hopefully). Otherwise I can stick with any other airlines for much cheaper.

11 minutes ago, mkkao924 said:

Lounge access is not my major concern. Even with lounge access, I still need to go to baggage claim to pick up my check-in luggage and take it with me the whole time until I can check in with Air Canada which is 6 hours later.

I am flying business class with Air Canada so I can always go to their new Maple Leaf lounge in SFO.

The only reason I book United is so that the luggage can seamlessly transfer to Air Canada (hopefully). Otherwise I can stick with any other airlines for much cheaper.

Sorry, I missed the part about flying business class.  My experience with business class is you can check in earlier than econ.  I'm also not clear on why you have to pick up your checked luggage and then recheck it.  Doesn't Air Canada and United do transfers?  

Just now, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Sorry, I missed the part about flying business class.  My experience with business class is you can check in earlier than econ.  I'm also not clear on why you have to pick up your checked luggage and then recheck it.  Doesn't Air Canada and United do transfers?  

Really appreciate your reply. That's what puzzled me. Both you and an earlier comment indicates United and Air Canada do transfers, but when I called (both of them), they seemed to be clueless and just told me to talk to airport agent on the day of travel. I am wondering if I misspoke some "magic words"?

1 minute ago, mkkao924 said:

Really appreciate your reply. That's what puzzled me. Both you and an earlier comment indicates United and Air Canada do transfers, but when I called (both of them), they seemed to be clueless and just told me to talk to airport agent on the day of travel. I am wondering if I misspoke some "magic words"?

If booked separately that might be the issue.  If they code share then they should do it.  But if two separate RSVP's might be an issue.  

24 minutes ago, mkkao924 said:

Both you and an earlier comment indicates United and Air Canada do transfers, but when I called (both of them), they seemed to be clueless and just told me to talk to airport agent on the day of travel. I am wondering if I misspoke some "magic words"?

They have an interline agreement which means they are code share. What the agent needs to do (I would go through United as thats the first flight) is have them link your United booking to your Air Canada booking. When you check in for the flight with United make sure the tag they put on the bag has YVR on it before you let them throw it on the belt.