Sun Princess--VISA REQUIRED??

SusiMMV

Hello!  My daughters and I are sailing on the Sun Princess in May of 2025...itinerary is Athens, Santorini, Montenegro, Corfu,Sicily, and Barcelona--loved the itinerary, until I realized that because Montenegro is a Non-Schengen country, we will need a multiple entry visa.  While Princess would not advise on this, they gave me the contact info to their Visa provider, CIBT, who after much research said we need to get multi-entry visas from the Greece consulate, in person, as that's the first Schengen country we are visiting.  Does anyone have experience with this, and does this information sound accurate?  CIBT will not assist with this type of Visa, so we are on our own.  Help, please.  🙂

image.png

Posted (edited)

Hello, which Country is your Passport? Did you read the sentence before the highlighted one?

Requirement does NOT apply to Aussie, Canadian, NZ , UK and US passport/citizens.

I believe the EU is introducing an E visa which was delayed? 

Edited by wallyj

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately, that is not correct--although I'm from the USA, the "rule" is that if you visit a non-Schengen country between Schengen countries, then you DO need the visa. Montenegro is NON-Schengen, which is the issue and brings the question into play.   This is also what Princess' Visa supplier, CIBT, said.  HOWEVER, I'm looking for others who have done this sailing without a visa...

The verbiage regarding US, Canada, Austrailia NOT needing one is in reference to the statement right before it--

Edited by SusiMMV
insuffiecient info

The EU will supposedly finally implement the ETIAS the first half of 2025.  This has been in works for years and has been postponed for at least 2 years already.  It's an electronic travel authority which requires visitors holding passports of certain countries to register their identity and passport and obtain authorization prior to entering the EU.  This is supposedly to eliminate the added step of getting passports stamped after using an e-gate for passport control, aside from the vetting aspect.  The USA is not excluded and US passport holders will be required to apply.  You will be denied boarding at the airport when boarding your flight to the EU if you don't have one.

All I can say is keep up to date with the website below.  This program has been postponed for years and who knows if it will finally be implemented in 2025.  Princess is covering themselves by putting this requirement in the cruise booking this far in advance.

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/index_en

I'm predicting that it will be like the ETA program for Australia and New Zealand and hopefully doesn't cause too much of a burden like said programs.

• Like 1

Hi @SusiMMV, it has been a few years but I have sailed on Princess that visited Montenegro and other EU countries on my U.S. passport and did NOT require any VISA’s. Do you know when this Schengen to non Schengen VISA requirement was introduced/enacted? 

As the Passenger, you are required to obtain any required Visa’s even if given erroneous information, but if I saw that statement, I would believe as US passport, the Visa requirement does not apply to me.

I have to disagree.  If you are a US passport holder, you do not need a visa.

It says on your travel summary:

This requirement does not apply to Australian, Canadian, New Zealand, UK, or U.S. Passport holders.

That is the sentence right above your highlighted sentence.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info.  No, I do not know if a change went into effect, and this is how I originally read it as well.   I questioned the visa company Princess uses on this exact verbiage, and they still insist a visa is needed, that the "no visa needed" does not carry over to the multi-entry situation-- which seems so over the top.  They won't assist as it's "more complex" to get a multi-entry visa, and it requires an in person appointment at the Greece consulate in Chicago and an interview.  I just cannot believe this is true--but can't get a good answer.  

10 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

The EU will supposedly finally implement the ETIAS the first half of 2025.  This has been in works for years and has been postponed for at least 2 years already.  It's an electronic travel authority which requires visitors holding passports of certain countries to register their identity and passport and obtain authorization prior to entering the EU.  This is supposedly to eliminate the added step of getting passports stamped after using an e-gate for passport control, aside from the vetting aspect.  The USA is not excluded and US passport holders will be required to apply.  You will be denied boarding at the airport when boarding your flight to the EU if you don't have one.

All I can say is keep up to date with the website below.  This program has been postponed for years and who knows if it will finally be implemented in 2025.  Princess is covering themselves by putting this requirement in the cruise booking this far in advance.

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/index_en

I'm predicting that it will be like the ETA program for Australia and New Zealand and hopefully doesn't cause too much of a burden like said programs.

Yes, this is another issue, or may be in 2025.

But, OP is quoting the information on their Travel Summary, and it clearly states it is not required for US passport holders.

The ETIAs is different, but important for the OP to watch for.

Thanks for the info.  No, I do not know if a change went into effect, and this is how I originally read it as well.   I questioned the visa company Princess uses on this exact verbiage, and they still insist a visa is needed, that the "no visa needed" does not carry over to the multi-entry situation-- which seems so over the top.  They won't assist as it's "more complex" to get a multi-entry visa, and it requires an in person appointment at the Greece consulate in Chicago and an interview.  I just cannot believe this is true--but can't get a good answer.  

3 minutes ago, SusiMMV said:

They are mistaken.  You could call and speak to someone else.

But, this verbiage has not changed.  It’s been the same for the last few years.

You can call the consulate directly in NY and ask them.  Make sure it is not a new employee, like CBIT might have been.

Montenegro Consulate in New York
  • Address. 801 2nd Avenue 7th Floor. 10022. New York.
  • Phone. +1-212-661-5400.
  • Fax. +1-212-661-5466.
  • Email. consulate.newyork@mfa.gov.me

@PacnGoNow--I was told by CIBT, who handles visas for Princess, that the NO VISA language does not apply to visiting a NON-SCHENGEN in a SHENGEN itinerary--that sentence stating that US/Canada/Australian citizens do not need Visas applies to the former statement--the first one in the paragraph--NOT the statement regarding the mulit-entry with the example of Italy-Turkey-Spain.  Does that make sense??

@PacnGoNowso, this is the confusing part!  It would not be a visa issued by Montenegro, but by Greece as that's the first Schengen country we are visiting.  It's my understanding that we would not necessarily have trouble in Montenegro, but simply visiting a NON-Schengen country could cause us issues when re-entering Greece, Italy, Spain later in our cruise.  I am so confused.

You've been reading the section incorrectly.

That whole section in your cruise personalizer is referring to visas for the Schengen countries. If you're not from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the US or UK, you need a visa. If you exit the Schengen area (like going to Montenegro) and re-enter, the kind of Schengen visa you require will be a multiple entry visa.

If you are from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the US or UK, you do not require a Schengen visa of any kind.

We just did this last month on the Sun Princess.

Stop, relax.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I believe the person you spoke to was wrong. Americans and Canadians don't need a visa for Schengen countries, nor for Montenegro. I see nothing about a requirement to get a visa if leaving and re-entering on the Schengen visa page for the EU. 

https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/policies/schengen-borders-and-visa/visa-policy/applying-schengen-visa_en

And anecdotally, I've been on a cruise that did a similar itinerary to this and didn't have to get any sort of visa (as a Canadian).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SusiMMV said:

@PacnGoNowso, this is the confusing part!  It would not be a visa issued by Montenegro, but by Greece as that's the first Schengen country we are visiting.  It's my understanding that we would not necessarily have trouble in Montenegro, but simply visiting a NON-Schengen country could cause us issues when re-entering Greece, Italy, Spain later in our cruise.  I am so confused.

Then, you can call the Consulate of Greece and ask.  They are all over the US, just google it.  NY, Chicago, Atlanta, LA, etc.

We are not here to give immigration advice, but merely give advice or guidance where to go.  Just trying to help.

Based upon the wording in my Travel Summary, I would not get a visa. 

But, I understand your concerns because you’re getting conflicting information from CBIT.  

• Like 1

@beg3yrs

Thank you!  I also thought this was incorrect, and asked Princess, who referred me to CIBT, who told me I did indeed need the visa!  But, you are saying the whole thing is referring BACK to those who need visas in the first place?  That makes sense.  What DOESN'T make sense is why in the world the Visa processing company, who Princess refers guests to, doesn't understand this.  Ha.  Thanks again for helping to clarify.

1 minute ago, SusiMMV said:

@beg3yrs

Thank you!  I also thought this was incorrect, and asked Princess, who referred me to CIBT, who told me I did indeed need the visa!  But, you are saying the whole thing is referring BACK to those who need visas in the first place?  That makes sense.  What DOESN'T make sense is why in the world the Visa processing company, who Princess refers guests to, doesn't understand this.  Ha.  Thanks again for helping to clarify.

CIBT only makes money when they process a visa for you. Make sense?

• Like 1

The confusion is Mentenegro does require a visa for multiple entries.

On your cruise, just like ours in 2018, you are making a single entry.

We did not require a visa then and you do not need one now - unless you intend to go back and enter Montenegro again.

Entry to many countries via a cruise is different 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SusiMMV said:

@beg3yrsit would, except they referred me to the Greek consulate and said it was something they could not assist with!  LOL 🙂

Also go to your Roll Call and ports of call on this site.   I’ve done similar cruises and no Visa needed for Canadians or US.  But things can change.

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2024 at 12:00 AM, SusiMMV said:

Unfortunately, that is not correct--although I'm from the USA, the "rule" is that if you visit a non-Schengen country between Schengen countries, then you DO need the visa. Montenegro is NON-Schengen, which is the issue and brings the question into play.   This is also what Princess' Visa supplier, CIBT, said.  HOWEVER, I'm looking for others who have done this sailing without a visa...

The verbiage regarding US, Canada, Austrailia NOT needing one is in reference to the statement right before it--

You dont need a visa

Ive just done it on Sun Princess....there were 4 of us. No visa.
And we got off the ship

If you needed a Visa, youre TA would say or Princess wouldnt bother going there.

(It probably wont be going to Santorini by the way)

Edited by LittleTinker