Money Saving Laundry Hack

I squeeze my cruise dollar and try to get as much out it as I can, so I’m happy to use the self-service laundromat onboard. (The absence of such a facility on RCI ships is a bugbear. 🤷‍♂️) Rather than pay through the nose for powder on the ship, I used to bring a small ziplock bag of laundry powder from home but we're trying to pack lighter (and that necessitates more laundry).

When we visited the USA a couple of years ago I purchased a packet of Tide Pods and have kept these exclusively for travel use. Imagine my dismay a few weeks ago when I went to retrieve them from the laundry cupboard and discovered that they’d started leaking! 😱 They obviously have a finite shelf life. Fortunately some were in a seperate zip lock bag and those ones hadn’t  leaked and so I used them on our trip. The ones in the leaky collection will be used at home in the next week or so. 

I considered purchasing laundry detergent sheets but the Choice website didn’t have much good to say about them. 
Today I was in my local Coles and they carry several brands of laundry detergent "pods" including Tide. But a plastic tub of 18 Cold Power Triple Caps is currently on a half price special so it works out to just over 47c each. 😁

0D60EBB2-6C28-4DBD-9F78-6AD96705235B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What we did on our Celebrity Solstice cruise in 2018 was we packed some large plastic pegs that were on a plastic / rubber hoops and the chairs on our balcony had a rail across the back

so we’d wash out our smalls in the bathroom sink and hook the pegs up to the chair rail and hang the stuff on the pegs. In the early April Queensland sun the washing was dry in no time 

People on cruise critic said celebrity frown upon doing that sort of thing, but our room steward didn’t say anything, so we got away with it.

I don’t know what Princesses policy is on this, but we’ll give it a go on our December cruise and see how we go

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I use the laundry sheets. Just add a couple extra in. I buy them from random places like Reject Shop and online. I have one pack that's  3 years old. No deterioration. 

Otherwise yeah I do powder in snack size zip loc bags.

I find my washing powder performance needs onboard is not as high as at home with the outdoors, tradesman grease etc etc

But great tip just the same! It's  always good to have options!

Edited by Mycruiseobsession
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

considered purchasing laundry detergent sheets but the Choice website didn’t have much good to say about them. 

I have been using laundry detergent sheets for years - work amazingly well. Along with fabric softener dryer sheets - both light as a feather and last years. Even tear pieces of detergent sheets off to dissolve in hand basin to wash smalls 😏

These are $11 at Woolies for 60. Great value I think.

Rose 🌹

IMG_1303.jpeg

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I don't think we'll risk bringing some white laundry power with us in a zip lock bag.... knowing our luck we'd get stopped at Sydney airport and they'd search our suitcases and pull out a bag of 'white powder'... 😆

mind you we're staying in Sydney at the Hilton Pre Cruise and might find a coles or other small supermarket near by where we can buy some laundry powder?

but from memory I just used the bar soap in the bathroom on Celebrity to do our hand washing

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Sparky74 said:

Glad to hear that people are having success with laundry detergent sheets. 
The Choice website isn’t complimentary. 
https://www.choice.com.au/home-and-living/laundry-and-cleaning/laundry-detergents/buying-guides/laundry-detergents#why-don-t-choice-test-laundry-sheets

390378B4-6803-4F00-947C-CBF964AA776F.png

Probably all very true, but honestly our clothes never get particularly dirty on a cruise, so just need the freshening wash described above 🤔 Even on the WC last year they were more than sufficient and packing space/weight was crucial. 

I dont use at home, just use a regular liquid detergent … sheets just suit the portability, packing, short term needs of cruising 😏

cheers, Rose 🌹

• Like 3

Another vote for laundry sheets

Sure, they perhaps have a lower dose than regular liquid or powder - but I'm only using them basically to freshen up clothes , not to get stains or grease from industrial work wear.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Muffinz said:

…we’d wash out our smalls in the bathroom sink and hook the pegs up to the chair rail and hang the stuff on the pegs. In the early April Queensland sun the washing was dry in no time…

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Shower gel or shampoo works well for socks and undies.

27 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

I have been using laundry detergent sheets for years - work amazingly well…

I too have washed our smalls in the handbasin, using shower get or shampoo as detergent. We used to bring a "pegless clothesline" which consisted of two lengths of elastic twisted together with a hook on either end. You have to get a bit inventive to hang it up (stay away from the smoke defector and fire sprinkler 🌧) and it does make the cabin look like a Chinese laundry! 
I think the cost of a balcony cabin would outweigh the cost of using a clothes dryer but you do you. 🤷‍♂️
These days we’re trying to travel with less clothes full stop so it’s not just underwear to be washed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

Another vote for laundry sheets

Sure, they perhaps have a lower dose than regular liquid or powder - but I'm only using them basically to freshen up clothes , not to get stains or grease from industrial work wear.

Exactly, combo of water, agitation, soap sheet, rinse n spin is more than enough to freshen clothes on a cruise … 🎊

Rose

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

These days we’re trying to travel with less clothes full stop so it’s not just underwear to be washed. 

I can tell you with 2 teens I end up using the washing machine  and dryer at least once per 7 day cruise. Usually by day 3/4

And that is with me trying to pack as light as possible. Somehow they always manage to have secret extra clothes and are spilling something on them or the son's BO is outrageous 😳 

If the clothes don't dry enough in the dryer cycle I just hang everything up on coat hangers. It works really well in rooms that have an open wardrobe. 

It works out less than the cost of beer so I think one full load a week is okay.

We do try to save at every opportunity but the handwashing or forfeiting the dryer cycle is something after 11 cruises I no longer wish to do! 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

I too have washed our smalls in the handbasin, using shower get or shampoo as detergent. We used to bring a "pegless clothesline" which consisted of two lengths of elastic twisted together with a hook on either end. You have to get a bit inventive to hang it up (stay away from the smoke defector and fire sprinkler 🌧) and it does make the cabin look like a Chinese laundry! 
I think the cost of a balcony cabin would outweigh the cost of using a clothes dryer but you do you. 🤷‍♂️

We travel with less clothes and that means more washing and rinsing, we use blow up hangers, the pegless twisty elastic clothes line and have clothes that dry quickly (I.e golf polo's, etc)

• Like 4

What we did on our Celebrity Solstice cruise in 2018 was we packed some large plastic pegs that were on a plastic / rubber hoops and the chairs on our balcony had a rail across the back

so we’d wash out our smalls in the bathroom sink and hook the pegs up to the chair rail and hang the stuff on the pegs. In the early April Queensland sun the washing was dry in no time 

People on cruise critic said celebrity frown upon doing that sort of thing, but our room steward didn’t say anything, so we got away with it.

I don’t know what Princesses policy is on this, but we’ll give it a go on our December cruise and see how we go

We find it is easier to dry inside your cabin, as long as your aircon is working correctly. Dry air beats humidity, and hanging them up near the aircon adds a bit of breeze. First we wring out as much water as possible, then wrap them tightly inside a dry towel, then hang them up in the cabin.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We travel with less clothes and that means more washing and rinsing, we use blow up hangers, the pegless twisty elastic clothes line and have clothes that dry quickly (I.e golf polo's, etc)

Good old microfibre and polyester..

• Like 2

From memory.. it was $1.50 on the ship for laundry powder. You've found pods at 47c. We're saving about $1 a time for what.. about 2-3 loads of laundry max on an average cruise? So we're getting excited about a saving of $2-3 dollars? I've never understood that one.. lol. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have always remembered cleaning guru, Shannon Lush saying on her weekly radio segment that using the recommended dose of washing powder was a marketing trick of the soap makers to increase sales and make you wash clothes more often than needed. Choice is probably getting donations from the industry.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/home/interiors/laundry-tricks-and-tips-to-help-you-wash-your-clothes-quicker/news-story/9d41f6bf13835302ecbc23dfed96f8ec

• Like 1

Some years ago I helped an elderly couple in the laundry room.  They had travelled from Vancouver to Beijing and then down to board ship at port.  They had their laundry powder from home in ziplock bags.  They had been through customs in Canada and then China with white powder in ziplock bags.   Don’t think I would risk that to save a few dollars.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Over from NZ said:

From memory.. it was $1.50 on the ship for laundry powder. You've found pods at 47c. We're saving about $1 a time for what.. about 2-3 loads of laundry max on an average cruise? So we're getting excited about a saving of $2-3 dollars? I've never understood that one.. lol. 🤣

Pretty sure it's  gone up to $2 

But hey every dollar adds up

I will save in one area so I can splurge in another (Yes I think using the dryer is a splurge!) 

Same with things like bringing cans of softdrink on board, some do some don't etc...

On longer cruises I have ended up doing a lot more washing loads.

But my laundry sheets are a lot cheaper than the pods. So to me it's worth it.

We all have our own version of budgeting, no right or wrong way. Just what works for you 😊

• Like 3

2 hours ago, yarramar said:

I have always remembered cleaning guru, Shannon Lush saying on her weekly radio segment that using the recommended dose of washing powder was a marketing trick of the soap makers to increase sales and make you wash clothes more often than needed. Choice is probably getting donations from the industry.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/home/interiors/laundry-tricks-and-tips-to-help-you-wash-your-clothes-quicker/news-story/9d41f6bf13835302ecbc23dfed96f8ec

Actually, Choice suggests using half the recommended amount of laundry powder. 

26 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Choice is probably getting donations from the industry.

Although I disagree with Choice on the topic of laundry sheets I would say this is incorrect - their whole premise is built on being independent from company moneys. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Sparky74 - CHOICE isnt the only consumer products comparison Co. these days - check these reviews out - and come on over to the "laundry sheet" side 😏

https://healthessential.co/pages/he-article-laundry-topfive-researcher-aus?

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 2

I never intended to open such a can of worms!

I just wanted to let people know that I’d found these pods on special at what I thought was a good price. 
I hope I haven’t offended anyone. 
If you get good results from laundry sheets, great!

If you carry a small plastic bag of laundry powder from home, great!

If you book a suite so you have extra room to hang your wet washing, great!

😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2