Verandah on QV vs. QE and QM2

We have never booked Queen V but will be doing so in October while aboard QM2. We have had dinner in the Verandah on both QE and QM2. We enjoyed it on QE very much: excellent food and service and a very comfortable setting. But last winter, on the QM2, it was a completely different experience: poor, rushed service; a condescending attitude from the maître d’; uncomfortable seating; and a dinner several rungs below what we’ve enjoyed in steakhouses on land or in QE.

So if we book QV and are offered a dinner in the Verandah, will we have an enjoyable experience, as we did on QE, or will it be as forgettable/regrettable as it was on the QM2? 

Not looking for guarantees…just opinions based on parallel experiences.

Thanks!

I think I read before about your QM2 experience. For me, I've not noticed a difference between the 3 Verandahs, but the key aspect in your case, if I have read it correctly, is the poor staff hospitality on QM2. I didn't have a problem there, but it's a widely held view that QV has the best staffing overall. The nature of the human condition is that you can't really guarantee that everyone will be on top of their game when you appear. The location on QM2 is also a bit unfortunate, thanks to the door to the outside deck, something rather obviously not present on QV and QE. I've only been to Verandah for lunches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

The location on QM2 is also a bit unfortunate, thanks to the door to the outside deck, something rather obviously not present on QV and QE.

Unless I've missed something, the Verandah bar area is literally the only access to the outside deck that doesn't require you to go up or down a deck. Am I right?

I wasn’t massively impressed with the table we were allocated in the Verandah on QM2 last month - third table in a row of 4 and the space between the tables was not much bigger than in the main Britannia restaurant.  This might have been because we ate fairly late but I don’t want to eat at 6 or 6.30. The food was enjoyable but as I have said before, I wish they would update the menu a bit. In June last year, the Maitre d’ moved us to a window table on QV as a couple dining early had just finished - and offered the same to another pair of guests who arrived just after us. The only disadvantage with the window tables is the banquette seating which is very deep and too low for me. I needed several cushions to prop me up! Overall, I preferred QV - the dining room is much nicer in my view and I thought the service was more polished but that may just have been down to luck. 

• Like 2

We have had very good experiences with the Verandah Restaurant on QV with one major exception on our cruise in May but that concerned my wife's gluten free diet. The service, food and atmosphere is really delightful and I say that travelling in PG, too. It makes a nice change especially at lunch.  I don't think you'll be disappointed. 

But having "done" the Verandah in QV, QE and QM2, I can say personally that QM2's is sadly the complete opposite on every level and for the reasons you cite. It has the atmosphere of the waiting room of a colonscopy clinic.  I'd rather use our "free" meals there at one of her pop up restaurants when we're aboard next January. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

We have had very good experiences with the Verandah Restaurant on QV with one major exception on our cruise in May but that concerned my wife's gluten free diet. The service, food and atmosphere is really delightful and I say that travelling in PG, too. It makes a nice change especially at lunch.  I don't think you'll be disappointed. 

But having "done" the Verandah in QV, QE and QM2, I can say personally that QM2's is sadly the complete opposite on every level and for the reasons you cite. It has the atmosphere of the waiting room of a colonscopy clinic.  I'd rather use our "free" meals there at one of her pop up restaurants when we're aboard next January. 

I'm afraid I have to disagree.  The waiting room at our colonoscopy clinic has more space between 'customers' and better service than we experienced in the Verandah.

After one disappointing dinner in the QM2 Verandah, we went to the pop-up restaurants which we enjoyed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, MadisonBay said:

I'm afraid I have to disagree.  The waiting room at our colonoscopy clinic has more space between 'customers' and better service than we experienced in the Verandah.

After one disappointing dinner in the QM2 Verandah, we went to the pop-up restaurants which we enjoyed.

This exchange certainly shows why US medicine is so expensive.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I enjoyed the food in the Verandah on the QM2 in February, but sadly agree about the service and maître d’. I had booked the time and date for lunch months before the cruise. I had done it for then as it was my partners birthday. We showed up at our time and were taken to our seat. Once sat a waiter came up and asked us something about what wine we wanted and how we wanted our steak - apparently that day it was some kind of wine and steak event which we were completely unaware of and were not informed of. We informed them that we had booked and paid for lunch on that day months ago, not any wine and steak thing. And even though there was only about three other tables being used we were asked to leave. We explained the situation to the maître d’ at the front and he offered no apology or any kind of compensation for our birthday lunch being ruined, all he said was we could come back tomorrow. Which we did, and when we showed up he asked us if we had a booking and acted like he didn't remember so I explained what happened and again no apology, he just acted like we were the ones in the wrong and was dismissive and just looked at his screen and said "ok we can fit you in". And that was it. And after that the table service was pretty poor and the whole thing felt rushed, we were never asked if we wanted another drink after the first one. The whole thing was a disappointing experience, outside of the food itself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No help to offer, but I am very sorry that happened to you on a special occasion! At least for us it was just “dinner as usual.” Just SO not worth it when we get good food with friendly, courteous, efficient service in the main dining room.

• Like 7

Thanks. We actually found that we got far better service in the Chefs Galley, and didnt even have to pay for that. The guys and girls in there were great, that became a favourite of ours.

• Like 2

Glad I didn’t dine in The Verandah Restaurant on QM2 as it was kind of a weird setup with the thoroughfare to the Terrace Pool in the middle of it. Whenever I passed through, there weren’t many people in there and no one particularly looked like they were enjoying themselves. It put me off.

I did see a sign for the Chef’s Galley, and peeked in there, but it seemed to be like a small cafeteria so it didn’t look very welcoming. I couldn’t figure out what it was so I kept on going. I wonder if there was an information book in my room which explained all the dining venues? I don’t recall seeing one.

34 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I did see a sign for the Chef’s Galley, and peeked in there, but it seemed to be like a small cafeteria so it didn’t look very welcoming. I couldn’t figure out what it was so I kept on going. 

Yes, a lot of people miss the Chefs Galley completely (on my first trip on QM2 I never ventured in there). I think a lot of people think its one of the ones you have to book or pay for as its right next to one that you do. But you just show up and they seat you. In the evening its an Italian pasta and pizza restaurant. Only a basic menu, but I loved the food and the service was always excellent. During lunch it serves hamburgers and gourmet hot dogs.  I generally went there when the menu in the MDR didnt have anything that really appealed to me. 

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Jim_P said:

Yes, a lot of people miss the Chefs Galley completely (on my first trip on QM2 I never ventured in there). I think a lot of people think its one of the ones you have to book or pay for as its right next to one that you do. But you just show up and they seat you. In the evening its an Italian pasta and pizza restaurant. Only a basic menu, but I loved the food and the service was always excellent. During lunch it serves hamburgers and gourmet hot dogs.  I generally went there when the menu in the MDR didnt have anything that really appealed to me. 

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much! I had no idea that’s what it was. Even better that it’s not revenue dining! I kind of thought that it might be a crew or officer’s area. I shall give it a try next time!

Editing to add:

Also… that may explain the positive comments on the pizza. Whenever I read them I thought “I tried the pizza and it was horrible” so I thought I must be trying the wrong pizza. Obviously, I was!

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 2

Back in 2010 the Chef's Gallery was an extra cost [$10] demonstration kitchen - serving a 'Canyon Ranch' menu selection. I think that was also the season the Kings Court pop up was introduced [at $15 per person].

At dinner time, I don't think if follows the evening dress code despite offering table service. I think any purchased bottles of wine may be able to find you.

We had a lovely dinner in the Gallery back in 2022 as the Northern Lights ship's tour was leaving during our normal 'late seating' in Britannia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I wonder if there was an information book in my room which explained all the dining venues? I don’t recall seeing one.

Yes, it's in a black binder in the drawer under the table top. Some stewards will leave it out on embarkation day so you see it. The book inside the binder isn't terribly specific though. The Daily Programme I guess isn't that inviting as such, but does at least give the timings and location.

• Thanks 1

Thank you!  Yes, I was thinking it would have been nice if they’d left it out, for me, since I am kind of a newbie. 

Speaking of “for me”… I remember holding my young grandson when my father popped round the day my Aunt and Uncle were leaving. I said to him “Say goodbye for me.”  After he left my grandson said “Nanny? Your father’s name is “Formy”?  😂

• Like 2