B2B - changing rooms

Hi All!  We have upcoming B2B cruises.  We are considering an upgrade offer for the second cruise (none available for the first cruise), which would mean changing rooms.  Is there typically a down time between leaving the original room and having access to the new room, or is there the possibility we'll be able to retain Room #1 until Room #2 is available?  It's not a huge deal, but trying to plan as I have remote work that day.

Thank you for any insight!

Your cabin stewards will make it happen in the easiest way possible. They will bring a luggage cart or two, so you don't have to pack your hanging clothes. If possible,  you will simply take your drawers from one cabin to the other. They will plan it out for you, so there is minimal down time. I wouldn't plan on doing any work between say, 8am and 11am, until the move is complete. 

• Like 2

Your room stewards will know when the occupants of your future room will be departing the ship. With any luck, those occupants may leave early.  In any case, the movement of your belongings to your future room will happen soonest.  Make sure you keep your passport in your current room and not let it be moved with your belongings.  Your belongings will be locked in your future room (you will not get a key to this new room) and you may remain in your original room until the normal meeting time (usually 9:30 AM) for all B2B passengers. Your stateroom key will be in the mailbox of your new room when you complete the check-in process for your next segment.  Note that your new stateroom may not be fully refreshed since you will be back onboard much earlier than the new incoming passengers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a different experience since I didn’t know that my hanging clothes could be moved and had packed everything. My bags were moved to the new cabin for me sometime while I was waiting with all the in-transit guests. But there was down time after that was done and when the new cabin became available. I walked by the cabin several times and saw that it still wasn’t ready but did see my bags on the bed. I can’t remember how long it took but it was ready after I had lunch. BTW, this was May last year on the Volendam. 

• Like 1

Mid June on the Koningsdam

We changed cabins, as did friends we were traveling with.

You can move once the new cabin is ready.

We had to pack everything that was not on hangers.  Our move went well.  Went for breakfast and back to the cabin and realized we were in the way, so left for a bit.  When we checked, everything had been moved.  We picked up our new key at the guest services desk.

Our friends had packed everything, and left on an excursion.  Their cabin steward was aware of the move.  They were told they didn't have to stay.  When they returned, the new cabin was empty. No one knew where there things were.  No one took any responsibility for what happened.  They were told they should have stayed, and their cabin steward didn't know they were changing cabins.  After 4 hours of waiting, their belongs finally appeared at the new cabin.  We suspect their belongings were moved, to the wrong cabin, and they waited for someone to report they had someone else's belongings in their room. 

HAL simply put the blame on our friends, and accepted no responsibility.  

We are almost 5* mariners, and were very disappointed with the treatment of our friends.  Same cabin steward, and he definitely knew the plans. HAL never apologized.

So just be careful with the move and make sure you and the staff know exactly what is to happen.

• Like 1

Our experience differs from @Tbay and @Sharon in AZ Last spring on board ms Nieuw Statendam we packed contents of drawers and "loose articles" in our suitcases and left all hanging clothes in the cupboards and went ashore. In the meantime our cabin stewards moved everything to the new cabin, so after embarking (with our transit pass) everything was ready (and perfectly so) in our new cabin. Within a few weeks we will transfer again during a B2B and you will understand we hope to have the same experience.

It reminds me to print new luggage tags to be sure that our suitcases can be properly identified (and the hanging clothes will join them 😉).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Our experience differs from @Tbay and @Sharon in AZ Last spring on board ms Nieuw Statendam we packed contents of drawers and "loose articles" in our suitcases and left all hanging clothes in the cupboards and went ashore. In the meantime our cabin stewards moved everything to the new cabin, so after embarking (with our transit pass) everything was ready (and perfectly so) in our new cabin. Within a few weeks we will transfer again during a B2B and you will understand we hope to have the same experience.

It reminds me to print new luggage tags to be sure that our suitcases can be properly identified (and the hanging clothes will join them 😉).

Good tips ....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MAVIP said:

This was exactly our experience on the NS in Copenhagen in April.  We were moving just a couple cabins away, so the same stewards were on both ends, making it easier on them!

• Like 1

We changed cabins last Sunday on turnaround day on Westerdam. We received our new keycards several days early with instructions that Housekeeping would help us move packed suitcases and hanging clothes, and that they won’t move loose items like stray toiletries.

As soon as our new cabin was ready for us, an officer and a steward showed up to our old cabin with a standard type luggage cart with an overhead hanging rack. All of our packed luggage and hanging clothes were moved in several trips.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2024 at 5:45 AM, MAVIP said:

Good advice. Might have helped.

• Thanks 1