Bring liquor aboard on Legend out of Dover

41 minutes ago, jsglow said:

So just to be clear Blerk. A table set up means nothing in particular.  Certainly anyone could voluntarily store their port purchased liquor. The change was that Security could not compel such behavior. So they simply always remained silent. There was no smuggling involved.

To make it crystal, there were tables set up at every port on our Carnival Legend cruise last month, and they were manned and collecting liquor. You could carry beer and wine on. I know this because I asked Carnival security. Carnival certainly can compel you to turn it in. Experiences this year are different than prior years. Last year is ancient history.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

To make it crystal, there were tables set up at every port on our Carnival Legend cruise last month, and they were manned and collecting liquor. You could carry beer and wine on. I know this because I asked Carnival security. Carnival certainly can compel you to turn it in. Experiences this year are different than prior years. Last year is ancient history.

Certainly possible. Glad we sailed last year as that whiskey and scotch were tasty!

Edited by jsglow

This doesn't affect me on this cruise since I didn't bring anything to worry about, but I did pose the question. 

I just went through the security check point in Dover, and questioned both Carnival staff and security staff about this.  They both said they weren't sure LOL.  The one man said "if someone is overtly carrying a massive amount they may be questioned.  But it's a shifting science."  Gotta love the British explanations.  So, it still looks like the answer is yes, no, maybe, not sure, umm.  

I'm all checked in, and just waiting to board. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m on board now, carried a bottle of rum and vodka on with zero problems. I had it in my backpack and the lady at security joked that it’s a good thing you brought something to mix with your coke (carried on three 8 packs which seems to be the size of packs that you find in UK). 

I’ll update if at ports they have a collection table, but two bottles is all I need. I’ll get coke at one of the ports, but know that it’s not an issue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, johnboy036 said:

I’m on board now, carried a bottle of rum and vodka on with zero problems. I had it in my backpack and the lady at security joked that it’s a good thing you brought something to mix with your coke (carried on three 8 packs which seems to be the size of packs that you find in UK). 

I’ll update if at ports they have a collection table, but two bottles is all I need. I’ll get coke at one of the ports, but know that it’s not an issue.

Thanks for the update, enjoy your cruise.

8 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

This doesn't affect me on this cruise since I didn't bring anything to worry about, but I did pose the question. 

I just went through Yep. the security check point in Dover, and questioned both Carnival staff and security staff about this.  They both said they weren't sure LOL.  The one man said "if someone is overtly carrying a massive amount they may be questioned.  But it's a shifting science."  Gotta love the British explanations.  So, it still looks like the answer is yes, no, maybe, not sure, umm.  

I'm all checked in, and just waiting to board. 

Yep. The times they are a changin'. By next year I think there will be more changes and people will by wishing for the good old days. There is too much revenue, both to Carnival and to the treasuries being lost. Carnival seems to have established a presence in Europe now. Until the latest protests over tourists.

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Yep. The times they are a changin'. By next year I think there will be more changes and people will by wishing for the good old days. There is too much revenue, both to Carnival and to the treasuries being lost. Carnival seems to have established a presence in Europe now. Until the latest protests over tourists.

Interesting on how some over there are not happy with the increase in cruise tourism.  They were begging 18 months ago.

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Interesting on how some over there are not happy with the increase in cruise tourism.  They were begging 18 months ago.

They are mostly upset about housing being less affordable as landlords convert properties to short term rentals. But cruisers are an obvious target since so many are dumped out at one time.

We've been to Barcelona twice this year for cruises, had the same driver both times from the airport to our hotel, and had interesting conversations both times.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

They are mostly upset about housing being less affordable as landlords convert properties to short term rentals. But cruisers are an obvious target since so many are dumped out at one time.

We've been to Barcelona twice this year for cruises, had the same driver both times from the airport to our hotel, and had interesting conversations both times.

I bet

When we sailed out of Dover last year I didn't see any evidence that they were checking.  They didn't have a post-security liquor store  like they do in other embarkation ports though, so it could have been a fluke.  FYI, if you want to take wine or beer onboard, don't buy it in England.  The ABV has been reduced on those products due to tax issues.  I kept wondering why every time that I ordered wine or beer with dinner in London and Dover that I never got tipsy.  I bought wine to take onboard and noticed that Cabernets typically have a 12% ABV, and red blends less than that.  Beer was almost all in the 3-4% range.  I had a martini that wasn't strong either, but I never checked the ABV on actual liquor.

Today in Amsterdam:

20240806_052228.thumb.jpg.9c7ea2e1343546c326bae2bbc7798594.jpg

It's interesting that after they tell you what IS allowed, they go on to say "Items will not be confiscated and are to be consumed for in-stateroom entertainment only.  Guests cannot take liquor bottles with them to public areas."

This wording sounds like you are fine bringing liquor from port to your stateroom (and it won't be confiscated), just don't wander around the ship with the bottles in your hand.  You can mix your drinks in your room and bring them along with you,  but you cannot take the bottles out of the room.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I also found it funny that say you can't bring "Uncleaned, unsanitized, shells with odor of a living organism."  It doesn't say Uncleaned, unsanitized, shells, or  anything with odor of a living organism.

I learned from experience many years ago that it's not so much living organism that you have to worry about having an odor.  It's after they are dead, in your suitcase, in which case "odor", just doesn't begin to describe what hit me🤢.

I found an old rusted ship's pulley in a tidepool in Alaska, and thought it would be a cool souvenir.  Well apparently hidden under some of the rust and lumps were small barnacles, that didn't survive the trip home🤢🤮🤢.  The suitcase had to be thrown out as well as the clothes. 

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers

Here is what I found on my recently completed cruise from Dover by port.

Dover - No issue at all bringing own liquor on board at embarkation. Port staff readily saw that I was carrying on two bottles.

Edinburgh - collection table up with enforcement.

Copenhagen- didn’t see a collection table but forgot to really look. 

Berlin - collection table up

Gothenburg - collection table up 

Amsterdam - No collection table 

Rotterdam - No collection table and security screening was done by port security inside cruise terminal.

Brugge - No collection table 

It seems enforcement went from highly enforced to non existent as the cruise progressed. So it’s a mixed bag. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, johnboy036 said:

Here is what I found on my recently completed cruise from Dover by port.

Dover - No issue at all bringing own liquor on board at embarkation. Port staff readily saw that I was carrying on two bottles.

Edinburgh - collection table up with enforcement.

Copenhagen- didn’t see a collection table but forgot to really look. 

Berlin - collection table up

Gothenburg - collection table up 

Amsterdam - No collection table 

Rotterdam - No collection table and security screening was done by port security inside cruise terminal.

Brugge - No collection table 

It seems enforcement went from highly enforced to non existent as the cruise progressed. So it’s a mixed bag. 

Is the Berlin port, Warnemunde? Thanks for all the info👍

52 minutes ago, johnboy036 said:

Seems clear there is no EU rule against enforcement.

1 hour ago, johnboy036 said:

Yes, I was being lazy and didn’t want to type it out 

What did you do at that port? Ship excursion or on your own? I know it’s a drive/train ride from W port (see I didn’t want to spell it out either😁)any info is appreciated 👍

11 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

What did you do at that port? Ship excursion or on your own? I know it’s a drive/train ride from W port (see I didn’t want to spell it out either😁)any info is appreciated 👍

Jumping in here.  I would recommend doing a ship excursion or with a reputable agency like Viator.  Just too much distance from the port to Berlin.  Also, there is a really nice area very close to the port (we did after).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

We booked a trip through Viator that was an all day trip to Berlin via bus. It operated by Verperio. They had a number of different tours and about 9 buses picking up at the port. It operated seamlessly and was about 60% less than the comparable ship excursion that went by train to/from Berlin for their bus tour. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

@ninjacat123 Which sailing are you going on?  I'm a lurker over on "The Tribe" 😁 and I've followed some of your live reviews.  DH and I will be on the July 20-Aug 1, 2025 sailing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katastrophe512 said:

@ninjacat123 Which sailing are you going on?  I'm a lurker over on "The Tribe" 😁 and I've followed some of your live reviews.  DH and I will be on the July 20-Aug 1, 2025 sailing!

Craig and I will be on Miracle June 8 to 20, 2025. I’ll be doing a LIVE on that cruise and our Bermuda cruise in less than three weeks!! Never been to Bermuda and we are so excited!!🥳🎉💃🏻🕺❣️