mainland excursions before/after and inside passage question

guest26

As I see Denali is like 6-8 hours train ride from where cruises start/end (Anchorage?) and in Denali it requires 8 hours in a bus to see the animals. 

So all in all it is usually 6-8 hours train ride for 2 nights and back while a lot of time in bus also in Denali??  I guess it will be too much for us.

Is there any other short distance place near Anchorage  (or any place the cruise start/end) with Alaska wildlife? How is Anchorage  Conservation center? It it like a regular zoo or a different experience?

In case I want to have Glacier Bay is the route from Vancouver always  go through inside passage (which I read it exceptional)? Is the one from Seattle never goes from there? How nice is it?

The vast majority of cruises southbound from Alaska start at Seward, or Whittier. Not Anchorage. Alaska is the largest state by a wide margin, thus the extended travel times.

Most ships, but not all, sailing to or from Vancouver sail east of Vancouver Island, in Canadian waters, which many consider the "real " Inside Passage, the most scenic area. However, ships that stop at any Alaska port sail at least a portion of the Inside Passage, as the Inside Passage includes Alaska as well.

10 hours ago, guest26 said:

As I see Denali is like 6-8 hours train ride from where cruises start/end (Anchorage?) and in Denali it requires 8 hours in a bus to see the animals. 

So all in all it is usually 6-8 hours train ride for 2 nights and back while a lot of time in bus also in Denali??  I guess it will be too much for us.

Is there any other short distance place near Anchorage  (or any place the cruise start/end) with Alaska wildlife? How is Anchorage  Conservation center? It it like a regular zoo or a different experience?

In case I want to have Glacier Bay is the route from Vancouver always  go through inside passage (which I read it exceptional)? Is the one from Seattle never goes from there? How nice is it?

You need to relook at distances. Bus to Anchorage is about 4 hours from Seward or 3 from Whittier. The train is then about 8 to Denali.  Things are much further apart than you realize and the trains do not run multiple times each day. 

Posted (edited)

The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is worth visiting.  It is not like a zoo.  It covers a large scenic area and you can visit on a tour or rent a car.  It requires a lot of walking to see the animals in a more natural environment because it is spread out so the animals have plenty of space.  With a car you will have more control and will do less walking than if you arrive by bus.  Be sure to drive the loop road.  The views are amazing.  This year the entry fee was $25 pp.

It gets really muddy on a rainy day, wear good footwear.

Great video link @donaldsc above.

Edited by oaktreerb

In my opinion, Denali National Park requires 3 days. One to get there, one to travel into the park on the transit bus and then one day back to Anchorage. Using a rental car is the best way.

If you want a scenic train ride, use the train to get to the port, whether it's Seward or Whittier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKStafford said:

In my opinion, Denali National Park requires 3 days. One to get there, one to travel into the park on the transit bus and then one day back to Anchorage. Using a rental car is the best way.

If you want a scenic train ride, use the train to get to the port, whether it's Seward or Whittier.

While I agree with you, I don’t find the train to Whittier to be very scenic, the best part is from Girdwood to Seward. 

On 7/14/2024 at 6:42 PM, oaktreerb said:

The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is worth visiting.  It is not like a zoo.  It covers a large scenic area and you can visit on a tour or rent a car.  It requires a lot of walking to see the animals in a more natural environment because it is spread out so the animals have plenty of space.  With a car you will have more control and will do less walking than if you arrive by bus.  Be sure to drive the loop road.  The views are amazing.  This year the entry fee was $25 pp.

It gets really muddy on a rainy day, wear good footwear.

Great video link @donaldsc above.

I highly recommend this visit.  My bus stopped several times inside the Center so we saved a lot of walking.  The animals have lots of room to roam in their enclosures which means a telephoto lens is needed for great photos..

image.jpeg.ce4704c8dec90caff84ac48f1ecf5c78.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/14/2024 at 4:17 AM, guest26 said:

I lived in Alaska for several years and the wildlife center is a must.  These are animals that have been rescued and is a completely different experience.  They do have a good zoo in Anchorage as well.  There is a nice sea life type center in Seward also. If on a Saturday, go to the market.

• Like 2