Taking supplements to Europe question

Hello!  I tried searching this topic online and here on the forums first, but my Google-fu is failing me for once.

I already knew to strip down my prescriptions/supplements to their bare minimum, and I verified with my doctor that my prescriptions won't need a Schengen certificate for the EU flight or ports of call.

But I also wanted to take my bottle of Beano (alpha-galactosidase enzyme) supplement which is OTC in the US.  I've confirmed it's likely OTC as well in EU, but I also don't want to run afoul of any laws, and I've heard the horror stories of people getting banned for trying to take stuff that is illegal with them.

So my question is twofold:

1. Anyone have any details on Beano specifically?

2. Has anyone maintained a master list of which supplements should not be taken from the unregulated wild west of the USA to the rest of the world on cruises?

Yes. I am a walking drugstore when out of the US - Beano, Gas-X, Allergy Meds, Aleve, Dayquil gel caps, Nyquil gel caps, Metamucil, multivitamins......

I learned on a trip to Australia over 20 years ago when I had gotten the flu, went to a doctor who only had meds with Codine in them (which I can't have). I learned to carry the things I know since you rarely can get the same meds in other countries. Just recently in Iceland my husband needed cough syrup - we were able to get some at a pharmacy, but he did not react well to it (and since the box was not in English, we couldn't tell exactly what was in it). Thankfully we were flying home the next day.

I've always keep the Beano in the little travel container/tube in a "cosmetic" bag in my backpack with various other pills. I've travelled throughout the world and never had an issue and have never gotten a certificate for them (I honestly never thought that I needed it).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 2ndhoney said:

Yes. I am a walking drugstore when out of the US - Beano, Gas-X, Allergy Meds, Aleve, Dayquil gel caps, Nyquil gel caps, Metamucil, multivitamins......

I learned on a trip to Australia over 20 years ago when I had gotten the flu, went to a doctor who only had meds with Codine in them (which I can't have). I learned to carry the things I know since you rarely can get the same meds in other countries. Just recently in Iceland my husband needed cough syrup - we were able to get some at a pharmacy, but he did not react well to it (and since the box was not in English, we couldn't tell exactly what was in it). Thankfully we were flying home the next day.

I've always keep the Beano in the little travel container/tube in a "cosmetic" bag in my backpack with various other pills. I've travelled throughout the world and never had an issue and have never gotten a certificate for them (I honestly never thought that I needed it).

We have also travelled the World extensively and have never found an issue finding the correct medication. DW discusses the Canadian or British drug name (not trade name) with the Chemist and they have always managed to identify what it is called in that country.

BTW - many countries have restrictions on OTC medications, not just prescription medications. Some that I recall are Indonesia, Singapore, Oman, Egypt, etc. This information is readily available on the UK Foreign & Commonwealth website and the Canadian equivalent, I expect the US provides a similar service.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MMOcruiser said:

Hello!  I tried searching this topic online and here on the forums first, but my Google-fu is failing me for once.

I already knew to strip down my prescriptions/supplements to their bare minimum, and I verified with my doctor that my prescriptions won't need a Schengen certificate for the EU flight or ports of call.

But I also wanted to take my bottle of Beano (alpha-galactosidase enzyme) supplement which is OTC in the US.  I've confirmed it's likely OTC as well in EU, but I also don't want to run afoul of any laws, and I've heard the horror stories of people getting banned for trying to take stuff that is illegal with them.

So my question is twofold:

1. Anyone have any details on Beano specifically?

2. Has anyone maintained a master list of which supplements should not be taken from the unregulated wild west of the USA to the rest of the world on cruises?

Haven't used that product, but before every trip I research the requirements of the countries we are visiting, which includes visas, passports and medications. I use the UK & Canadian Govt sites, which are updated frequently, so I expect the US Govt has a similar website. These websites are the closest to a master list that I am aware of.

When countries do have restrictions, you may need to know the actual drug name rather than the trade name.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

BTW - many countries have restrictions on OTC medications, not just prescription medications. Some that I recall are Indonesia, Singapore, Oman, Egypt, etc. This information is readily available on the UK Foreign & Commonwealth website and the Canadian equivalent, I expect the US provides a similar service.

Yes... a real surprise to us was that Japan ABSOLUTELY prohibits the regular, original formulation of Sudafed tablets.  In the USA, this is now available "sort of" OTC, but one needs to ask for it to be given to you from BTC ("Behind The Counter" 😉 ) even though there is no Rx needed.  However, in at least some (all?) states, there is a limit on how much one can purchase per day, and they take personal ID information.

There is a true OTC version of "Sudafed" called "Sudafed PE".  We never thought it worked at all for us, so we'd always keep some old-fashioned Sudafed in the house and with us when we traveled [until that trip to Japan!].  I wondered how the "PE" version could have been approved.  (I have a background in clinical trials and policy.)

And surprise:  Very recently, they decided that the Sudafed PE tablets won't continue to be sold. However, apparently that formulation IS effective when used as a nasal spray, so that will still be available.

NOTE:  My info about the availability of the two formulations may not be completely up to date.

In any event, we got permission to bring our personal mini-pharmacy with us to Japan (two different types of approvals were needed overall), including for controlled substances and injectables (not controlled)... except for that original formulation Sudafed!

We always go to the official website of the country we plan to visit for specific information.  That also usually includes how to request permissions, when needed.

And when in doubt, we just email that agency in that country to ask about overall permission or quantity restrictions.

GC

• Like 2

Thank you for all the information!  I knew about the original Sudafed being illegal in Japan because my husband has traveled there frequently (and I also knew that the Sudafed PE doesn't work as well..... or at all, in oral form.)  

3 minutes ago, MMOcruiser said:

Thank you for all the information!  I knew about the original Sudafed being illegal in Japan because my husband has traveled there frequently (and I also knew that the Sudafed PE doesn't work as well..... or at all, in oral form.)  

It’s not just Japan that prohibits pseudoephedrine. Double check me with the appropriate country’s official sites if traveling to Australia, NZ, or Egypt (this isn’t an all inclusive list).

Perhaps take a spray (Afrin) instead - https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2023/09/why-are-ineffective-oral-decongestants-still-on-store-shelves/

• Like 1

On 7/15/2024 at 8:59 AM, CPT Trips said:

It’s not just Japan that prohibits pseudoephedrine. Double check me with the appropriate country’s official sites if traveling to Australia, NZ, or Egypt (this isn’t an all inclusive list).

Perhaps take a spray (Afrin) instead - https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2023/09/why-are-ineffective-oral-decongestants-still-on-store-shelves/

You can purchase cold/flu medication with pseudoephedrine in NZ from a chemist - they have just changed the rule.

I don’t know whether or not there is a rule about bringing it in for personal use from overseas. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sailingkiwi said:

I don’t know whether or not there is a rule about bringing it in for personal use from overseas. 

That’s good to know. In October 2023 it wasn’t permitted. We were on a small group tour and upon clearing customs/immigration one of our group was asked whether he had any medications and one of the questions was whether he had any cold medication. His answer, “no” ended the conversation.  

It certainly wouldn’t hurt to check beforehand. 

• Like 1