Docking in NYC

doglover214

We are on the Quebec to Ft Lauderdale cruise on October 26th. 
On November 1st, we dock in NYC. Last year, we stopped in NY and the ship docked in Brooklyn. 
Can anyone tell me where the Serenity will be docking? Crystal reps didn’t know, so I’m reaching out to many who have the ability to find out such things and know where to look. 

According to the Cruise Ship Terminal website, the Crystal Serenity will be docked at the Manhattan Cruise terminal at 12th Avenue and 48th Street on Nov1/2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone tell me how the situation is with cabs at the terminal.  Will we have any trouble getting one --- need to get to La Guardia for an afternoon flight.

Or would you recommend we book private transportation instead of relying on a taxi to the airport.

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, Just2guys said:

Can anyone tell me how the situation is with cabs at the terminal.  Will we have any trouble getting one --- need to get to La Guardia for an afternoon flight.

Or would you recommend we book private transportation instead of relying on a taxi to the airport.

Thanks.

I defer to others that sail in and out of the Manhattan piers more frequently than I, however, our experience has been “it depends”. Primarily it depends how many other ships, as well as their size, are also disembarking the same time as Crystal.

On our last disembarking in Manhattan, we walked across the street, to the other side of 12th Avenue, and hailed an Uber from there. The ride share drivers seem to discourage pickups on the pier-side ramps.

Also consider the day of the week and the time of your LGA departure when determining ground transportation from the Manhattan piers.

Rob

• Like 2

I've never had a problem with a car pickup at the pierside, other than general congestion.  One tip is to have your morning pickup on the UPPER level, where departures go out from.  In the morning, it's almost empty, while downstairs has loads of busses, vans and cars picking up passengers coming off the ship.  And reverse that for departures.  (Same as you would do at airports)

I've used car services with no problem.  My service of choice is Dial 7.  One nice thing with a car service is that you can specify the size of vehicle you want, rather than the chance of taxis.  Also, car services will give you a fixed price, regardless of any traffic delays - while a taxi has the meter running.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Uber allows you to pick class of vehicle and size.

For two people and a few pieces of luggage Uber Black works well.

Taxi’s - no thank you!

1 hour ago, Just2guys said:

Thanks.

Rob has it right.

It can be a piece of cake or chaotic.

Getting to the terminal a cab is fine.

Leaving I would arrange transportation but my preference is to do it with Crystal. Pay more? Yes. But they will get you to where the vehicle is.

JMO.

Keith

On 7/16/2024 at 10:29 PM, doglover214 said:

We are on the Quebec to Ft Lauderdale cruise on October 26th. 
On November 1st, we dock in NYC. Last year, we stopped in NY and the ship docked in Brooklyn. 
Can anyone tell me where the Serenity will be docking? Crystal reps didn’t know, so I’m reaching out to many who have the ability to find out such things and know where to look. 

Crystal apparently verify 45 days before.  The Schedule may change at the port, but seldom does.  You just look at NYC cruise schedule.  

• Like 1

Aloha. I agree with my fellow posters about NY docking. Been blessed to have been born and raised in Manhattan and cruising since 1971. The experience is magical but can also be a headache lol. You will be docking on a Friday and that is the NYC Marathon weekend.  I always check the events and traffic calendars daily when we are not in Hawaii where we divide our time. That said crosstown traffic will be heavier than normal as it is also a business day so prepare your flight times accordingly since unless you fly our of Newark you will have to cross the entire island to reach LaGuardia and JFK. It is easier to access your transportation across the terminal on 12th Avenue than at the pier itself.  If they change the pier to Brooklyn then it is chaotic there also but travel to the airport will be a tad easier.  Either way be prepared, give yourself plenty of time and stay in vacation mode and you will be fine. My wife jokes that I am generally in vacation mode all the time because I have learned to go with the flow as the city is dynamic and craziness is the norm! Enjoy.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. I agree with my fellow posters about NY docking. Been blessed to have been born and raised in Manhattan and cruising since 1971. The experience is magical but can also be a headache lol. You will be docking on a Friday and that is the NYC Marathon weekend.  I always check the events and traffic calendars daily when we are not in Hawaii where we divide our time. That said crosstown traffic will be heavier than normal as it is also a business day so prepare your flight times accordingly since unless you fly our of Newark you will have to cross the entire island to reach LaGuardia and JFK.

A sharp and savvy driver will go up the West Side Highway, across at the GW, then south on the Deegan to the Triboro Bridge and Grand Central Pkwy into LGA.  Fighting across Manhattan may be geographically shorter, but only 96th St comes close to being the same time frame - again using the Triboro.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

A sharp and savvy driver will go up the West Side Highway, across at the GW, then south on the Deegan to the Triboro Bridge and Grand Central Pkwy into LGA.  Fighting across Manhattan may be geographically shorter, but only 96th St comes close to being the same time frame - again using the Triboro.

You are correct generally but with all the roadwork on the bridges and “roving” repairs it’s always a hit or miss. The main problem is the marathon weekend. I normally leave the city during UN Week, Marathon Weekend and some other times. I personally don’t like the major deegan but do agree there are options. Driving this weekend was actually a pleasure. My daughter lives near Carnegie Hall and I got a parking spot too lol!!

• Like 3

Plenty of yellow cabs at Manhattan Cruise Terminal. I agree with Major Deegan route avoiding cross town traffic. As it is Friday should be no disruption due to Marathon. It is a fixed rate to LGA. I believe under $50 plus tolls.