Trade Routes - Bergen to Barcelona: Itinerary excursion help: Monet's Garden and other tours for the mobility challenged

nikitty

Hello!

I will be on the Trade Routes of the Middles Ages from Bergen to Barcelona on August 31st with my mom and I've booked all our tours but am trying to decide if I need to adjust them as my mom has mobility issues.  My mom uses a cane and can walk but she walks slowly so it's not feasible to do demanding excursions with a large group that require a lot of walking/keeping up.

I included a list of tours we've booked, most free and one upgraded (as well as others we are considering.)  All with Viking.
If you have had experience on any of these tours, I'd really appreciate any feedback on whether the ones mentioned are worth doing in general, too strenuous, or if we should consider booking our own tours.  And of course, if there are other tours on the list that I may have overlooked, feel free to suggest.  (My mom loves gardens, art and cultural type of tours. She isn't that interested in historic monuments, palaces, castles, etc.)  

The one I'm struggling with the most is Monet's Garden and really need advice for this one. We did this tour last year on Princess and it was a nightmare.  It was a long bus ride from Le Havre and by the time we got there, the guide told us we only had only about 90 mins in the garden. I didn't even have time to see the water lilies! The problem was the bus parked so far from the entrance it took about half an hour each way.  My mom walks very slowly but we would have made it back to the bus with time to spare, as I factored the "commute" back to the bus into our allotted time. However the tour guide gave very confusing directions and we got lost on the way back so had to face irate passengers who had some choice words for us. 🙄 

We would like to avoid the same situation so I'm wondering if we should bother doing Monet's Garden as from the description listed for the Viking tour, it sounds like it's almost the same exact itinerary. Monet's Garden first, lunch at a restaurant, and then a walk through Rouen.  I would much prefer more time in Monet's Garden so I'm not sure if doing a repeat will net different results. Could anyone weigh in with their experience of this tour?  We are also docking in Le Havre so I believe that might change things in terms of timing as I know some Viking tours dock in Honfleur.

Also, if anyone has done a private tour from Le Havre, was it worth it and if so, do you have recommendations for tour operators?  That said, if anyone is on this cruise on Aug 31st and is interested in booking a private tour of Monet's Garden (or other tours in general) please let me know (and feel free to DM too!) I'd love a lengthier tour of Monet's Garden and if time permits, a short jaunt through Honfleur. 

The only other tour that we are strongly leaning towards is London.  Is that worth doing?  I am curious to know how much free time is given in the city as my mom wants to visit Covent Garden and visit a specific restaurant and I'm worried about the time constraints.  I've included a list of tours I've booked/am considering and highlighted my notes in bold wherever I had specific questions.

This is a long list so any feedback on even one of the tours that stood out is most appreciated!

BERGEN

Booked: Panoramic Bergen (INCLUDED)
Explore Norwegian City by Motor Coach and On Foot
Discover the main sights of Bergen during a panoramic drive and a leisurely walk.

Moderate - Walking portions may be long and somewhat challenging with occasional step-ups, stairs and inclines. Total time walking or standing normally ranges from 1.5 to 3 hours.

Considering: A Snapshot of Bergen
See Bergen both up close and from a bird’s-eye perspective on this expansive tour.

Moderate - Walking portions may be long and somewhat challenging with occasional step-ups, stairs and inclines. Total time walking or standing normally ranges from 1.5 to 3 hours.

AMSTERDAM
Booked: Amsterdam Canal Cruise (INCLUDED)

Explore Norwegian City by Motor Coach and On Foot

Discover the main sights of Bergen during a panoramic drive and a leisurely walk.

Considering: Best of Holland: The City
Canal Cruise and Walking Tour to Van Gogh Museum
Tour Amsterdam by foot, savor a buffet-style lunch on a canal cruise and view van Gogh masterpieces.

BRUGES

Booked: (INCLUDED)

A Half Day in Bruges On Your Own
Experience Belgium’s Fairy-Tale Medieval City
Discover medieval Bruges as you encounter this quaint, picturesque city, one of Belgium’s jewels.

Considering TWO here:

Discover Brussels
A Tour of the Capital’s Iconic Landmarks

OR:

Bruges Sightseeing & Canal Boat Cruise 
(This one sounds like it might be too physically challenging, but it sounds amazing!)
Serene Waterways and a Leisurely Stroll Through Picturesque Bruges
Demanding - Physically challenging activities, including extensive walks, hiking, riding, water sports, and high altitude activities. Activities by foot may contain difficult, unpaved surfaces and/or multiple stairs and steep inclines. Total time walking or standing may exceed 3 hours.

PARIS

Booked: (PAID) In the Footsteps of Claude Monet
Make a Pilgrimage to the Cradle of Impressionism
Witness all that inspired the brilliant impressionist Claude Monet, from Giverny to Rouen.

Considering: Paris On Your Own INCLUDED 
(We are not booked on this one but have been reading threads that it's not worth the commute.  Is it apx. 3 hours once you are in the city to do whatever you like?  My mom wants to go to a cafe and do some shopping.  Not sure that is enough time to do what we want and it could prove stressful with her mobility issues.)
Follow your own interests in Paris, from must-see treasures to lesser-known gems, on this independent excursion.

Easy - Walking portions are generally over easy surfaces with few steps or inclines. Total time walking or standing is normally not longer than 1.5 hours.

Also Considering: Explore the Medieval Town of Honfleur
(I saw that a few have mentioned this town is beautiful, but I'm not sure I can convince my mom to forgo Monet's Garden and/or Paris! 😆  Are there any private tours that offer both Monet's Garden and Honfleur that are highly recommended?)
Explore the charming seaside city of Honfleur, a once-thriving trading hub near the mouth of the Seine River.

PORTSMOUTH

Panoramic Portsmouth
Scenic Drive Through a Maritime City and Surroundings
Step back in time as you embark on a scenic drive through the historic city of Portsmouth and its nearby villages.

Easy - Walking portions are generally over easy surfaces with few steps or inclines. Total time walking or standing is normally not longer than 1.5 hours.

VERY SERIOUSLY considering Panoramic London

(Is this one worth it or should we consider a private tour?  My mom has just expressed her desire to go to London and check out Covent Garden and a restaurant she really wants to visit. How long is the free time on this tour?)

See Europe's Busiest Capital
Discover London, a bustling capital in which the historic past and the vibrant present come alive.

FALMOUTH

Historic Truro by Foot
Ancient Streets of Cornwall’s Only City
Experience the charms of Truro, Cornwall’s only city and a historic gem.

Considering: 

Everything is sold out except The Lost Gardens of Heligan but that one says demanding.
My mom would love to visit a garden.  Does anyone have any recommendations for private tours? (The Trebah Garden is sold out.)
Also, the Picturesque St. Ives looked interesting but not sure if it's worth it to check that out rather than the included excursion.

PORTO

Porto by Foot
An Enriching Overview of the City of Port Wine
Get to know the city built on port, the fortified wine for which it is named.

Considering: 
Nothing from the tours stood out. There is a tram ride but not sure if it is worth it considering the steep cost when you could just ride on a tram by yourself.  Are there any private tours that are worth taking?

Granada (Málaga), Spain

Málaga Overview & Walking Tour
(I worry that this one might be too strenuous!)
Hillside Castles and a Beloved Old Quarter
Explore the seaside Andalusian city of Málaga, one of the oldest cities in the world, by motor coach and on foot.

Considering:

Possibly the Picasso museum

Murcia (Cartagena), Spain

Ancient Roman City of Cartagena

Stunning Archaeological Discovery
Enjoy a scenic drive to Cape Palos, part of a small peninsula formed by long-ago volcanic activity.

Considering: 

The tapas tour is sold out. This looks wonderful! Has anyone taken a private tapas tour and can recommend (or other tours worth worth looking into?)

BARCELONA

Iconic Barcelona
See the Highlights of This Beautiful City
Discover Barcelona’s most iconic landmarks on a relaxing drive and a leisurely walk around this impressive city.

Considering: 

The Artists of Barcelona
Art and Architecture of the City’s Greats: Miró, Picasso & Gaudí
Learn more about the lives and works of Barcelona’s three most famous artists.

We visited Giverney and Monet’s Garden recently on a Viking river cruise. The bus parking was quite a way from the actual garden. We walked through the village of Giverney, and then stood in line for entry, with a crowd.  Once in the garden, we could walk at our own pace. Our guide took us through the house with some narrow stairways, this part was optional. Then we were guided to the Water Garden, which was accessed by an underground tunnel with stairs. There was a circular path around the water, and then we had free time for about 45 minutes. It’s an amazing place, I hope you and mom can visit it. 

• Thanks 1

The tour description you posted was exactly what we did back in 2019, so it hasn’t changed much.  It was a lot of walking, and the tour of Monet’s home involves stairs.  However, it is one of the few excursions I would do again if I took this cruise as it was excellent.  For your mom though, it’s not an easy excursion.  If you really want to do this, you might want to contact for a private tour to see if there are other options of getting you from the parking lot to the gardens.  There may be a drop off for mobility challenged tourists in a private vehicle.  I would research to see if this is an option for you.  

As much as I loved all the stops on Trade Routes, IMO it is one of the more difficult cruises to do if you are mobility challenged.  I have walking issues myself, I rarely choose demanding excursions and will try to stick to easy or moderate.  I know that after doing several consecutive moderate tours, I bailed on one port.  It was a crappy day and I needed a day to recover.  

• Thanks 1

We were on a Viking river cruise in April/May and there were several mobility challenged passengers, my husband being one.  He was recovering from a knee replacement.  The cruise director jumped right on it and organized easy walking tours in as many ports as he could find transportation and guides.  

You might call Viking or do a live chat to see if that’s possible.  We only had 184 passengers on our cruise and about 15-20 did the easy walking tours when they were available.  He was the best cruise director we’ve had on over 20 cruises.  I hope you are able to see the sights you are interested in and have a wonderful cruise.

maureen

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nikitty said:

Hello!

I will be on the Trade Routes of the Middles Ages from Bergen to Barcelona on August 31st with my mom and I've booked all our tours but am trying to decide if I need to adjust them as my mom has mobility issues.  My mom uses a cane and can walk but she walks slowly so it's not feasible to do demanding excursions with a large group that require a lot of walking/keeping up. <snip>

You are wise to request specific excursion info from posters here who have done the tours. I can't help you with any of the specific ones, as we tend to use private excursions, but based on some recent experience with a Viking tour classed as "moderate", I would advise caution unless someone has described your tour in detail.

Ours was in Taipei - it used the standard "moderate" language that you've included to describe the tour. It turned out that to reach the lunch restaurant required climbing of a reasonably steep slope and 100 stairs (the only access option was to hire a taxi up/down) - very difficult for many of the pax, much less anyone with mobility problems. In my view, the tour difficulty was grossly misrepresented.

Encouragingly, one of the first people up the stairs was a woman with two canes and a leg brace - quite the inspiration. BTW, the tour was great, just a tough surprise for lots of people. 

Only you know your mother's capabilities, but based on what you've written, I would not even consider a Viking "demanding" tour. Despite the cost, you may be best served to look at private tours as your first choices.

Best of luck sorting this out! 🍺🥌

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We’ve been on this cruise as well as VR to Normandy and have taken Viking’s tour of Monet’s garden twice. It is as you described. On the river cruise we arrived right at opening and our excellent guide knew to take us to the pond first before the crush of tourists. On our ocean cruise we arrived later and it was packed. 

Paris is too far. You will be spending all day on a bus and very little time in Paris. 

We highly recommend Honfleur. Before going we met someone from France and they told us to make sure we see Honfleur, and they were 100% correct. It was one of the best walking tours of the trip. The medieval buildings are picturesque and it has the largest wooden church in France, similar in style to the famous Nordic wooden churches. It was build by shipwrights so the interior is like the hull of a ship. We also visited a small art museum that features Normandy artists.

Portsmouth is a great stop. We took the included tour and it can drop you right at the entrance to the old dockyard. There you’ll find the Mary Rose museum, one of the best experiences we’ve ever had on any trip. It’s an amazing sight. Google it.

You also can visit Nelson’s flagship Victory. That too was an amazing experience. IMO going to London is like the Paris excursion. You spend most of the day in transit. When in London it’s just a bus ride around town with a stop at Westminster for a bathroom break. So much to see in Portsmouth, it’s a better use of your time.

The Bruges excursions are about the same except one has the canal boat ride. Personally we took the time exploring the city but if you are mobility challenged, it might be a better way to see the town. You can’t go wrong with any Bruges excursion.

We found Porto disappointing. Not enough time to do anything. If I had a do over, we’d take the streetcar excursion. The Viking excursion takes you on a private historic tram car with a guide so not the same as just hoping on one yourself.

In Barcelona we too Gaudi’s Houses of Modernism. One of the best Viking excursions we’ve ever taken.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree this cruise is quite demanding.   In our experience Brugges was also quite a walk into town from the bus.    In Barcelona I would also try to add Jewels of Modernism or maybe a private tour that includes the inside of La Sagrada Familia...Viking's tour that includes Park Guell with the Sagrada would be too much. IMO both the trips to Paris and London spend too much time on the bus.  While Monet's garden is always a delight including the long walk from the bus and walking around Rouen will be a lot of walking in one day.

• Thanks 1

My late husband and I did many of these places and tours when we did our Viking River cruises.  All are worthwhile but with good knees and feet.  I am doing it again in September on the Viking Sky and am looking forward to the trip as a solo, but this time with common sense.  My choices will be a last look at Stonehenge, a flight over the fjords, watching some flamenco dancing and a Cornish village. Will I see the spirit of Poldark? Very slow and easy.  I am also packing my easy cane and an ace bandage or two. Have fun. You are so fortunate to have your Mom to travel with, Monets village was pretty but like a lot of must sees, once is usually enough.  I would not rule out a private tour if it eliminates some of the extra hassle.

• Thanks 1

My wife and I did the Trade Routes cruise, and liked it very much.  But, there is a lot of walking.

Cartagena in Spain was a delight, but it is a walking tour. The streets are cobblestone, so some folks might have problems with that.  The Roman amphitheater and museum was amazing, but it also has steps, lots of steps.  My recollection is the bus drops you / picks you up a few blocks from the theater, but over a good sized hill and rampart.

Agree on Porto, no "there" there. But the ship docks miles from the city, so you need the bus or arranged car unless you want to arrange a semi-private tour like something from Secret Food Tours or the sherry folks.

• Thanks 1

I’ve found that Viking tour activity levels might be based on people who live in cities, frequently walk longer distances and do not use private transportation on a regular basis.

Compared to many of us, myself included, whose furthest daily walk is out to the garage to get into the car!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HUNKY said:

I’ve found that Viking tour activity levels might be based on people who live in cities, frequently walk longer distances and do not use private transportation on a regular basis.

Compared to many of us, myself included, whose furthest daily walk is out to the garage to get into the car!

My most “demanding” Viking excursion was on an expedition cruise in Chile and they really meant it.

IMG_4785.thumb.jpeg.ecceff86e4084f517bf4ce04ab2203d9.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One possible option is consider the possibility of renting a mobile scooter or light weight wheelchair for the trip for walking excursions. Also Viking sometimes offers a modified tour for less able/slow passengers. Don’t know if ocean cruises have them but river cruises do. Contact Viking and check if they can provide further info on availability of rentals or tours.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Pegct said:

Also Viking sometimes offers a modified tour for less able/slow passengers. Don’t know if ocean cruises have them but river cruises do.

On our VO cruise last year we received a letter in our stateroom that on our particular cruise they were rolling out a pilot program for slower walkers for some excursions. I don’t know if it has been implemented fleet wide but they are certainly aware of the need.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Maybe do a private excursion to Monet's garden.  The mini bus dropped us right there at the gate and you might get there sooner than the crowds/buses, etc.  I guess though it will depend on the time of the year.  I think the issue is there is not enough room around there to get a bus/s real close.  Having said that it, like a lot of places in Europe, is not real accessible for the differently able.

Edited by rmalbers
  • Thanks 1

In Bruges, all coaches must offload passengers outside the city center ( believe was about a 15 minute walk to the city center - we were on viking river gentle walkers group so YMMV.  

• Thanks 1

I vote for a private tour to Giverny. Maybe look on viator or tours by locals?

Getting around the gardens is not that simple, but perhaps interview a few tour guides and hopefully one will seem appropriately aware. We actually rented a car in Honfleur and did it ourselves. It’s a wonder we actually had a great day, tons of time in gardens and the farmhouse, despite a challenge at the car rental place and trying to navigate the road signs as well as the stick shift. Our ship was overnighting, so we didn’t worry (too much) about getting back.

Some travel experiences are uniquely wonderful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for all your wonderful, very insightful messages!

By the sounds of it, a river cruise is something worth looking into as it seems a few of you have stated what amazing tour guides you've had on these excursions.  The river cruise was actually the reason Viking came onto our radar but we were a little concerned about water levels affecting the itinerary so thought it best to skip this year. 

Getting on and off a river boat was also a concern as we were told that sometimes you need to cross over a few boats to get to the dock and we don't know exactly what that looks like.  I think it just means walking through different boats and walking across a small ramp?  However, one travel agent described it like we would be walking on a plank which obviously wouldn't work and might have thrown us off a tad.  😂

If anyone has done a private tour for Monet's Garden or London and wanted to share their experience, please let me know (or is on this particular cruise and wants to book one with us.)  If we have to walk that long walk again to Monet's Garden, that simply won't do. We didn't have time to see Monet's home or the water lilies and only saw the garden from the entrance to the gift shop, and had to then make our way out.

I think we are going to skip Paris and Monet's Garden and go with the Viking tour of Honfleur (unless we get a group together for Monet's Garden.)

My mom really wants to visit Covent Garden and it looks like we get dropped off there for free time so we'll probably do Panoramic London.  

At any rate, still deciding on some of the other tours but I will be going through the comments after I speak to my mom and will be replying soon.

Thank you again!  💝

• Like 1

On 7/17/2024 at 9:08 AM, CDR2001 said:

We visited Giverney and Monet’s Garden recently on a Viking river cruise. The bus parking was quite a way from the actual garden. We walked through the village of Giverney, and then stood in line for entry, with a crowd.  Once in the garden, we could walk at our own pace. Our guide took us through the house with some narrow stairways, this part was optional. Then we were guided to the Water Garden, which was accessed by an underground tunnel with stairs. There was a circular path around the water, and then we had free time for about 45 minutes. It’s an amazing place, I hope you and mom can visit it. 

Your guide sounds amazing!  On the Princess cruise, our guide pointed at where we needed to walk and said to meet us at a certain time at the bus to depart. She gave us instructions but we got lost.  We missed the house and the water lilies. 

45 minutes is not a lot of time but you got to see everything by the sounds of it which is wonderful!  Did you also go to lunch and Rouen on this tour?  It sounds like the river cruise tours have better access.  I think I remember reading that you got early access as well?  I might be remembering incorrectly as it was a few months ago when I was doing research but it really sounded like an amazing tour!

We were there last year so I think if we were to do the same exact tour again (as it sounds very similar) we will skip unless we can find a private tour that we can split with a few people.

On 7/17/2024 at 10:31 AM, Mich3554 said:

The tour description you posted was exactly what we did back in 2019, so it hasn’t changed much.  It was a lot of walking, and the tour of Monet’s home involves stairs.  However, it is one of the few excursions I would do again if I took this cruise as it was excellent.  For your mom though, it’s not an easy excursion.  If you really want to do this, you might want to contact for a private tour to see if there are other options of getting you from the parking lot to the gardens.  There may be a drop off for mobility challenged tourists in a private vehicle.  I would research to see if this is an option for you.  

As much as I loved all the stops on Trade Routes, IMO it is one of the more difficult cruises to do if you are mobility challenged.  I have walking issues myself, I rarely choose demanding excursions and will try to stick to easy or moderate.  I know that after doing several consecutive moderate tours, I bailed on one port.  It was a crappy day and I needed a day to recover.  

Thanks for letting me know about this being a difficult cruise in general for the mobility challenged! 

This itinerary does have some very interesting places from a cultural perspective that were attractive to us which equates to cobblestone streets and winding, steep roads.😆

I am definitely trying to stick to easy/moderate but some of those demanding ones are very tempting.  We have chosen demanding ones before with my mom opting to stay on the bus but that can be for awhile and it's not really much fun for her so we try to avoid that option as much as we can nowadays.

What port was the one that you bailed on? Was that on another cruise or the Trade Routes one?

On 7/17/2024 at 11:08 AM, msualum said:

We were on a Viking river cruise in April/May and there were several mobility challenged passengers, my husband being one.  He was recovering from a knee replacement.  The cruise director jumped right on it and organized easy walking tours in as many ports as he could find transportation and guides.  

You might call Viking or do a live chat to see if that’s possible.  We only had 184 passengers on our cruise and about 15-20 did the easy walking tours when they were available.  He was the best cruise director we’ve had on over 20 cruises.  I hope you are able to see the sights you are interested in and have a wonderful cruise.

maureen

I love that your tour director did this for your hubby!  It sounds like a river cruise would be a great option for us.  I don't know if you saw my message from yesterday but one of the reasons we have avoided river cruises is 1) concerns about water levels  2) unsure about getting off the ship when there are other boats that you have to walk through.   

Did you (or your hubby) find it difficult getting off the ship when you had other boats to walk through?  I definitely would love to consider this in the future.  Just curious, do you always do river cruises or ocean cruises too? If so, do you have a preference?

On 7/17/2024 at 11:09 AM, CurlerRob said:

You are wise to request specific excursion info from posters here who have done the tours. I can't help you with any of the specific ones, as we tend to use private excursions, but based on some recent experience with a Viking tour classed as "moderate", I would advise caution unless someone has described your tour in detail.

Ours was in Taipei - it used the standard "moderate" language that you've included to describe the tour. It turned out that to reach the lunch restaurant required climbing of a reasonably steep slope and 100 stairs (the only access option was to hire a taxi up/down) - very difficult for many of the pax, much less anyone with mobility problems. In my view, the tour difficulty was grossly misrepresented.

Encouragingly, one of the first people up the stairs was a woman with two canes and a leg brace - quite the inspiration. BTW, the tour was great, just a tough surprise for lots of people. 

Only you know your mother's capabilities, but based on what you've written, I would not even consider a Viking "demanding" tour. Despite the cost, you may be best served to look at private tours as your first choices.

Best of luck sorting this out! 🍺🥌

Thank you for your feedback!  Yes I am avoiding demanding this time around.  I've learned my lesson from other tours before.  (See my previous messages.)  100 stairs is a lot for someone mobility challenged!  I mean, I would consider myself able bodied but I think 100 stairs might be a lot for me as well. 😂

Was this a Viking tour? It seems like that type of description would cause some irate customers as that should be plainly stated.  I do think Monet's Garden should be considered "demanding" if there is a long walk to the gardens and not much time to actually go through it.  Then it becomes a race which we found strenuous.   

14 minutes ago, nikitty said:

Thanks for letting me know about this being a difficult cruise in general for the mobility challenged! 

This itinerary does have some very interesting places from a cultural perspective that were attractive to us which equates to cobblestone streets and winding, steep roads.😆

I am definitely trying to stick to easy/moderate but some of those demanding ones are very tempting.  We have chosen demanding ones before with my mom opting to stay on the bus but that can be for awhile and it's not really much fun for her so we try to avoid that option as much as we can nowadays.

What port was the one that you bailed on? Was that on another cruise or the Trade Routes one?

It was the port after we went to Stonehenge.  It poured the day in Stonehenge, and while that was a fabulous tour too, but the rain really tested my waterproof jacket and shoes.  I remember that was a long day as we had lunch, then went to see the Magna Carta…..so a lot of walking.  
Looking at the route, I bailed on Falmouth and had done Giverny the day before Stonehenge.  Those were 2 of the excursions I really wanted to go on, so considered Falmouth worth the price.  

On 7/17/2024 at 1:15 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

We’ve been on this cruise as well as VR to Normandy and have taken Viking’s tour of Monet’s garden twice. It is as you described. On the river cruise we arrived right at opening and our excellent guide knew to take us to the pond first before the crush of tourists. On our ocean cruise we arrived later and it was packed. 

Paris is too far. You will be spending all day on a bus and very little time in Paris. 

We highly recommend Honfleur. Before going we met someone from France and they told us to make sure we see Honfleur, and they were 100% correct. It was one of the best walking tours of the trip. The medieval buildings are picturesque and it has the largest wooden church in France, similar in style to the famous Nordic wooden churches. It was build by shipwrights so the interior is like the hull of a ship. We also visited a small art museum that features Normandy artists.

Portsmouth is a great stop. We took the included tour and it can drop you right at the entrance to the old dockyard. There you’ll find the Mary Rose museum, one of the best experiences we’ve ever had on any trip. It’s an amazing sight. Google it.

You also can visit Nelson’s flagship Victory. That too was an amazing experience. IMO going to London is like the Paris excursion. You spend most of the day in transit. When in London it’s just a bus ride around town with a stop at Westminster for a bathroom break. So much to see in Portsmouth, it’s a better use of your time.

The Bruges excursions are about the same except one has the canal boat ride. Personally we took the time exploring the city but if you are mobility challenged, it might be a better way to see the town. You can’t go wrong with any Bruges excursion.

We found Porto disappointing. Not enough time to do anything. If I had a do over, we’d take the streetcar excursion. The Viking excursion takes you on a private historic tram car with a guide so not the same as just hoping on one yourself.

In Barcelona we too Gaudi’s Houses of Modernism. One of the best Viking excursions we’ve ever taken.

This is very helpful information!  From the sounds of it, a river cruise really does have it's advantages for Monet's Garden.  Did you find that to be the case for other tours as well on a river cruise?

I showed my mom your post and she has now changed her mind and we are going to do Honfleur.  I will google the dockyard in Portsmouth.  She prefers art/culture/shopping so not sure if this would be of interest to her.  

From the London tour, it sounded like we would have a few hours in town and we would be dropped off at Covent Garden.  That doesn't sound like your experience as you mentioned you only had time for a bathroom break?  If that's the case, we have to cancel it as my mom really wanted to visit Covent garden to do some shopping and then have lunch at a restaurant there. 

This is what it states for the Panoramic London tour which we booked:

Pass famous landmarks, including iconic shopping districts, Trafalgar Square and the National Art Gallery. Continue past Whitehall and Downing Street, the official residence of the British prime minister, then drive along the mall to Buckingham Palace, the London residence of Britain’s sovereigns since 1837. Stop at Parliament Square to see the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben and Westminster Abbey before heading to Covent Garden, where you may explore the array of craft stalls and boutique shops, and experience the buzz of London’s famous Theaterland district. A recommended experience is to treat yourself to a pint at one of the traditional English pubs and soak up the atmosphere; this excursion allows you to explore some of London’s treasures at your own pace.

I went to Bruges in 2019 and I do remember a long walk into town so that would not work.  We are on the included tour which is the "Half Day in Bruges On Your Own."  It does say that your local escort will walk you to Walplein, a charming, centrally located cobblestone square.

My mom was actually more interested in the "Discover Brussels" tour which says it's moderate, but there seems to be a lot of time driving on the bus which would work well for her.  

Also, I had booked the included Porto tour so I think we will definitely change it now thanks to your information!  

Just curious - you mentioned the Gaudi's House of Modernism tour. Is that the Jewels of Modernism tour?

This one says it is demanding.  Did you find it to be the case? Just wondering if she sat and was able to rest a bit it would be doable.  Her favorite thing is museums so I know she would enjoy it but I'm concerned about the level of difficulty.  I am including the description below:

Jewels of Modernism

Explore Barcelona’s Colorful Architecture

See two impressive examples of the beautiful and interesting modernist buildings for which Barcelona is renowned.

View the Palau de la Música Catalana, one of the world’s leading concert halls and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Enjoy its beautiful exteriors and take in its striking interiors. Privileged Access allows you to discover parts of the building not accessible to all. Drive along the elegant avenue Passeig de Gràcia, lined with architectural masterworks, exclusive shops and quality restaurants. Here, visit Casa Amatller, industrial chocolatier Antoni Amatller’s house renovated by artist Josep Puig i Cadafalch. Casa Amatller and neighboring Casa Lleó i Morera and Casa Batlló comprise the “Manzana de la Discordia” (Apple of Discord), so named because the three buildings show very contrasting styles. Enjoy a chocolate bar while your guide explains the intriguing facades before you.

On 7/17/2024 at 2:59 PM, deec said:

I agree this cruise is quite demanding.   In our experience Brugges was also quite a walk into town from the bus.    In Barcelona I would also try to add Jewels of Modernism or maybe a private tour that includes the inside of La Sagrada Familia...Viking's tour that includes Park Guell with the Sagrada would be too much. IMO both the trips to Paris and London spend too much time on the bus.  While Monet's garden is always a delight including the long walk from the bus and walking around Rouen will be a lot of walking in one day.

Thanks for this info!  I appreciate your insight about the walk into Bruges!  I wrote in my previous message asking some questions about the Jewels of Modernism tour but by the sounds of it, it wouldn't be too challenging? It says demanding so that was my concern.

I agree with you about Monet's Garden being a long walk!  And Rouen on top of it.  My mom managed fine but she was very slow so it was good that we could walk freely on our own for that portion without having to keep up with a group.  We had some lovely time to sit in a cafe and people watch so the end of our tour was not stressful at all compared to the beginning.  😆

On 7/17/2024 at 7:14 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

My most “demanding” Viking excursion was on an expedition cruise in Chile and they really meant it.

IMG_4785.thumb.jpeg.ecceff86e4084f517bf4ce04ab2203d9.jpeg

Wow!  This would be almost too demanding for me I'm afraid. I also wouldn't have packed the right footwear.  I hope they included this type of information in the tour description. 😁

I have not considered an expedition cruise because it sounds like most of the tours are quite strenuous.  Even for me. 😂