Room Selection - False Advertising

We are cruising on the Pacific Explorer in October. Instead of opting for the more economical "Go Package," I chose the "Value Package," which promised "Room Selection." I even paid extra for a Midship room. Despite numerous emails, hours of online chats, and multiple phone calls, they are refusing to allow me to choose my room. They will allocate one closer to the sailing date.  They are citing the good old Terms & Conditions stating "Subject to Availability," but it's clear that rooms are indeed available. My concern is their false advertising of room selection, with other customers also paying for this service. When I requested a partial refund for the unfulfilled service, they declined.

I understand they have changed owners, and their indifferent attitude towards customer feedback is evident from their poor reviews. But given this is a clear breach of the fair trading laws, how are they able to get away with it? Can anyone provide contact information for the department responsible for room assignments? They have refused to disclose any contact details. Alternatively, does anyone know the escalation path to reach a manager with the authority to address this issue? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

PS I have paid in full and checked in. 

• Like 1

I'm afraid I can't help you with your query as to whom you can escalate this matter. However, we have never had any problems selecting an exact room on any of our P&O cruises. Indeed for our next cruise I cancelled our original booking when the price dropped and then re-booked the SAME room at the reduced price. This transaction was done over the phone. Whether or not your difficulty is a result of the Carnival takeover I don't know as in my situation it was well before the takeover announcement and at this stage we have only paid the full deposit.

• Like 1

They haven't changed owners/management at this stage, as that doesn't happen till March.

We haven't hit a snag like that, as we nominate cabin numbers in the area we want, and our T/A books them that way. My understanding was that you made the booking, then logged into your cruise control to choose your cabin.

How long ago did you book? If you booked recently, the value package would be difficult to deliver with a late booking. It is likely you will still get a cabin that fits your booking, minus the promise of choosing it. If you booked late, there would be too few to choose from. You should, at least, be assigned a midship cabin.

Sorry, I can't help with specific contacts. They are not easy to get to, and never have been.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, arxcards said:

They haven't changed owners/management at this stage, as that doesn't happen till March.

We haven't hit a snag like that, as we nominate cabin numbers in the area we want, and our T/A books them that way. My understanding was that you made the booking, then logged into your cruise control to choose your cabin.

How long ago did you book? If you booked recently, the value package would be difficult to deliver with a late booking. It is likely you will still get a cabin that fits your booking, minus the promise of choosing it. If you booked late, there would be too few to choose from. You should, at least, be assigned a midship cabin.

Sorry, I can't help with specific contacts. They are not easy to get to, and never have been.

58 minutes ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

Try NSW Fair trading since that's  where the Carnival Office is based.

That might be a good place to start but I think you probably need to go the the same department in the port of registration.  Good luck.

2 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

That might be a good place to start but I think you probably need to go the the same department in the port of registration.  Good luck.

I have made one complaint via them a few years ago, and it was NSW as the headoffice is based there.

Australian Consumer Law has these things covered as the bookings/sales are made as an Australian purchase.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

I have made one complaint via them a few years ago, and it was NSW as the headoffice is based there.

Australian Consumer Law has these things covered as the bookings/sales are made as an Australian purchase.

Well, once again I learn a new and valuable thing.  Every day's a school day.  Thanks.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

Just making a complaint now. They are still selling tickets so they really are scamming people out of extra money with no intention of providing the service. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was intrigued by your problem because I've always chosen my cabin (when going down that path) as part of the online booking process, before payment is made.  It's odd that you were able to complete your booking without choosing a room.

I went onto the P&O website and did a dummy booking through to the page where you choose either the 'Go' or the 'Value' package.  There's a little green dot to click on for the T&Cs, and it says the following, I hope it's of use to you:

Room Selection

The GO Package offers a guaranteed room fare type. This means P&O will guarantee you a room within the selected category, but will allocate that room on your behalf anytime between two months and four days prior to departure. With Value and Premium package, you are able to select your room in Cruise Control once you’ve completed your booking. Note: Room selection is subject to availability.

I found that by calling P&O every day and wasting their time, you can get some service. One of the guys realised I had called up so many times and in total over 100 minutes, they finally relented.

• Thanks 1

I too have never had any trouble selecting a room.  I have always booked through a P&O Personal Planner and just told him which room I wanted.  I would look at TA's web pages to see which cabins were available and let him know.

I had also read that you could choose your cabin in Cruise Control as per stated above but never had to try it.  I fully understand Go gty bookings are different but if you have a Value fare you should be ok.  Have you tried Cruise Control or put a request on the P&O page for help.

With Value and Premium package, you are able to select your room in Cruise Control once you’ve completed your booking. Note: Room selection is subject to availability.

26 minutes ago, colourbird said:

I found that by calling P&O every day and wasting their time, you can get some service. One of the guys realised I had called up so many times and in total over 100 minutes, they finally relented.

I did the same with Princess to resolve a problem. Eventually got a result and some generous OBC as a sweetener.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, colourbird said:

Conservatively  I have spent 6 hours with online chats, phone conversations and emails. Probably more. I have now filed a complaint with the NSW Fair Trading.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I too have never had any trouble selecting a room.  I have always booked through a P&O Personal Planner and just told him which room I wanted.  I would look at TA's web pages to see which cabins were available and let him know.

I had also read that you could choose your cabin in Cruise Control as per stated above but never had to try it.  I fully understand Go gty bookings are different but if you have a Value fare you should be ok.  Have you tried Cruise Control or put a request on the P&O page for help.

With Value and Premium package, you are able to select your room in Cruise Control once you’ve completed your booking. Note: Room selection is subject to availability.

I have never had a problem before either. I read the T&C carefully and on my booking no mention of "they would allocate" just subject to availability and they are available. No option to do it in Cruise Control and as previously mentioned online chats, emails and phone conversations are going nowhere. 

• Like 1

My issue is the false advertising. People are getting duped into paying more money for a service they are not getting. Further, I was told that if I paid in full this feature would be available. I normally don't pay in full until the last minute to take advantage of any price drops. Again wasted money,  I have filed a complaint with the NSW Fair Trade website. 

Below you will see the message I keep getting. 

booking.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clairebearinaus said:

I was intrigued by your problem because I've always chosen my cabin (when going down that path) as part of the online booking process, before payment is made.  It's odd that you were able to complete your booking without choosing a room.

I went onto the P&O website and did a dummy booking through to the page where you choose either the 'Go' or the 'Value' package.  There's a little green dot to click on for the T&Cs, and it says the following, I hope it's of use to you:

Room Selection

The GO Package offers a guaranteed room fare type. This means P&O will guarantee you a room within the selected category, but will allocate that room on your behalf anytime between two months and four days prior to departure. With Value and Premium package, you are able to select your room in Cruise Control once you’ve completed your booking. Note: Room selection is subject to availability.

I didn't get the GO Package it was the Value Package which cost more money. The only condition is subject to availability. They are available and they can't contract out by hiding T&C in the fine print. 

5 minutes ago, LxLx12 said:

I didn't get the GO Package it was the Value Package which cost more money. The only condition is subject to availability. They are available and they can't contract out by hiding T&C in the fine print. 

I have been reading this thread from the start and wanted to post a comment earlier, BUT I have been busy planning a couple of cruises and talking to my family members and my TA (pardon me) about room selection.

I am surprised that P&O is making it difficult for you to choose a room when you have booked the Value Package that clearly has Room Selection as one of its (limited) benefits. We always book the Go fare and actually booked two P&O cruises earlier this week and were able to choose our cabin. 

Today I have been planning cruises for family members. One is on a cruise we have already booked so we would like them to be near us. They need a cabin that will accommodate three people so that limits availability. We are waiting to hear now which of our selected cabins is available. I selected particular cabins that have an in-built additional bed from when the ship was the Star Princess, not the ones where P&O retrofitted bunks. This is all on the Go Fare.

You mention that you have spent a lot of time on the phone/on line chats etc and the issue still hasn't resolved. P&O have made it difficult for you and I am sorry that this will affect your general cruise experience.

I don't know where you can go from here. If you can't select a cabin, will they refund the difference between the Value Fare and the Go Fare?

49 minutes ago, LxLx12 said:

My issue is the false advertising. People are getting duped into paying more money for a service they are not getting. Further, I was told that if I paid in full this feature would be available. I normally don't pay in full until the last minute to take advantage of any price drops. Again wasted money,  I have filed a complaint with the NSW Fair Trade website. 

Below you will see the message I keep getting. 

booking.jpg

I don't think the issue is false advertising. I think it is badly trained staff who haven't been able to help you.

• Like 1

How frustrating.  It's as if there's a glitch in their system blocking you from doing what you should be able to.  

It looks like if you were able to convince them to refund your fare back to the GO price, it would be more or less cancelled out by the loss of OBC.  But I understand there's a principle at stake too.

20 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have been reading this thread from the start and wanted to post a comment earlier, BUT I have been busy planning a couple of cruises and talking to my family members and my TA (pardon me) about room selection.

I am surprised that P&O is making it difficult for you to choose a room when you have booked the Value Package that clearly has Room Selection as one of its (limited) benefits. We always book the Go fare and actually booked two P&O cruises earlier this week and were able to choose our cabin. 

Today I have been planning cruises for family members. One is on a cruise we have already booked so we would like them to be near us. They need a cabin that will accommodate three people so that limits availability. We are waiting to hear now which of our selected cabins is available. I selected particular cabins that have an in-built additional bed from when the ship was the Star Princess, not the ones where P&O retrofitted bunks. This is all on the Go Fare.

You mention that you have spent a lot of time on the phone/on line chats etc and the issue still hasn't resolved. P&O have made it difficult for you and I am sorry that this will affect your general cruise experience.

I don't know where you can go from here. If you can't select a cabin, will they refund the difference between the Value Fare and the Go Fare?

I have never experienced problems with room selection on cruises before and most companies in the travel industry have really good customer service. The experience with PO Cruises has been very poor. With a group of friends, we booked a Comedy cruise for later in the year which was then cancelled and now this issue.

Making a formal complaint about false advertising might get them to sort out the issue. I have requested they refund the difference between the two packages and the extra cost for midship. 

Regardless of the outcome, we will enjoy our trip. 

All the best for getting your preferred rooms allocated. 

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think the issue is false advertising. I think it is badly trained staff who haven't been able to help you.

Normally I would agree but when you have chatted online with four different people, spoken on the phone to another two and had 5 emails I think it's a deliberate strategy. They are not able to help but put me on hold to talk to the department that allocates rooms - they will not give me a contact number/email for this department so I've been going around in circles. 

9 minutes ago, clairebearinaus said:

How frustrating.  It's as if there's a glitch in their system blocking you from doing what you should be able to.  

It looks like if you were able to convince them to refund your fare back to the GO price, it would be more or less cancelled out by the loss of OBC.  But I understand there's a principle at stake too.

I wish it was a glitch. They are not agreeing to refund anything. To get it resolved I am having to make a complaint to the NSW Fair Trade for false advertising.