$100.00 towards shore excursions

Hello again,

I was wondering if my husband can give/transfer to me his 100.00 bonus towards a shore excursion if he is not up to using it? We each got one when we booked our Holland America Alaska cruise but we never know how he is going to feel.

It would be ashamed to have to waste it if he is unable to use it.

AFAIK they are not transferable, however it can be used towards a cabana or other rental that can be used by more than one person.

You can also use it towards transfers to the airport at the end of your cruise.

Posted (edited)

Guess I'm a little naive. Why could she not book the tour using husbands shore excursion bonus for another tour that she wishes to take by herself. Are they really going to stop her if she says that her husband is ill the day of the tour (which he might be)? Usually they just take the tickets. Have never seen them check actual identity. I could though, be very wrong.

Edited by PROCRUISE

Posted (edited)

"Have never seen them check actual identity"

@PROCRUISEThey don't issue tickets anymore for shore excursions.  They use your cabin key card or Navigator app.

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 2

The $100 credit is in the individual's name in the app, specific to excursion expenses, similar to dining credits that are specific to the individual in HIA.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

Guess I'm a little naive. Why could she not book the tour using husbands shore excursion bonus for another tour that she wishes to take by herself. Are they really going to stop her if she says that her husband is ill the day of the tour (which he might be)? Usually they just take the tickets. Have never seen them check actual identity. I could though, be very wrong.

No physical paper tickets anymore - you are scanned onto excursions. And the system will only apply excursion credit for the name it was issued.

• Like 2

Although HAL is unlikely to transfer the discount from one cruiser to another, I do believe that getting the value is achievable.

Even with scanning on to tours it would be probably possible to 'game the system' and I would be prepared to 'risk it rather than lose it'.

If just 'keycards' are used to scan onto the tour, then it would be necessary to take the other party's card to scan, but if it is just on Navigator then there is no way to tell whether the 'correct' person is boarding the bus or not.

(disclaimer:  I am pretty certain that this would work in Europe, but not 100% on how it would work in Alaska with tour vendors.  However I doubt that third party vendors have access to the identity data of cruisers (eg photo identity)).

I was just off the Nieuw Statendam. I simply showed my reservation in the Navigator app each morning for the tour I was on and they gave me a sticker. This occurred on the ship at the designated meeting point. I would just show your husband's reservation on his phone or take a screenshot with yours and they will give you your sticker. They happened in Kirkwall, Portree, Edinburgh, and Newcastle. No scanning of tickets was done at any point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I was just off the Nieuw Statendam. I simply showed my reservation in the Navigator app each morning for the tour I was on and they gave me a sticker. This occurred on the ship at the designated meeting point. I would just show your husband's reservation on his phone or take a screenshot with yours and they will give you your sticker. They happened in Kirkwall, Portree, Edinburgh, and Newcastle. No scanning of tickets was done at any point.

Glad to read this.  I simply do NOT understand the logic of these credits not being transferable, especially if they are under one booking number!  It makes zero sense!

• Like 1

A screenshot of the Navigator app showing your husband's ticket barcode would likely work. You can send this either via text/texting app or AirDrop if you have an iPhone.

When cruising abroad, I often take a screenshot of my boarding pass in the Navigator app as a backup (in case I am unable to access wifi in the terminal) and it scans without issue.

• Like 1