Embarkment Day Dinner

On Embarkment day, is there still a special Dinner, like Prime Rib served or something similar? They used to do this about 10-11 years ago on the Breakaway the first night.

I think Prime Rib is usually served on Dress up night ( second/third night).  Many passengers are overtired from their day of traveling, luggage has not been delivered to some, so I believe its somewhat casual feel in the dining rooms.

Posted (edited)

So what everyone is saying, there is no special Dinner meal in the MDR severed on Embarkment day anymore, correct?

Just wanted to know before my cruise.

Edited by CK77

I found these menus helpful when we were planning our 11 night cruise on Prima in June:

https://profcruise.com/ncl-menus-2024/

We were disappointed that we didn't see prime rib offered any nights on the dinner menu in the main dining rooms, unless it might have been served on one of the two nights that we ate in specialty restaurants. We enjoyed filet mignon in Cagney's and prime rib was on their menu, too.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CK77 said:

On Embarkment day, is there still a special Dinner, like Prime Rib served or something similar? They used to do this about 10-11 years ago on the Breakaway the first night.

Other than Steak, there is no real beef dishes in the MDR any longer. There has never been a "special" dinner in the MDR on embarkation day. 

This has been the embarkation MDR dinner on our two most recent cruises on different ships. 

image.thumb.png.028ad2999c6708646fb946987fc2ccb8.png

image.thumb.png.e9d12840420b6568af5cc025fc9941dd.png

Edited by BirdTravels

8 minutes ago, source said:

Is this the MDR menu for the entire cruise?

The MDR menu is different every day.  The "classic" section is the same eveyr day.  The rest varies daily.  You can do google searches and find the MDR menus.  Most posts show 7 dinners, but the chefs technically have several more to choose from.  The menus changed in June 2024 so watch to be sure you are seeing the more recent menus.

21 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I think Prime Rib is usually served on Dress up night ( second/third night).  

What's this Dress up night of which you speak? I don't recall ever seeing a Dress up night on any of our previous NCL cruises...which is one of the reasons we cruise on NCL.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

What's this Dress up night of which you speak? I don't recall ever seeing a Dress up night on any of our previous NCL cruises...which is one of the reasons we cruise on NCL.

I always thought NCL was “freestyle dining” with no dress up night.  I understand even jeans and a t-shirt (for men)are fine on NCL in the dining rooms. Of course I could be wrong. (been wrong before many times in my life lol)

3 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

"Dress Up or Not Night" had been the evening of the first Sea Day.  Before Covid, the Captain was usually available for pictures in the lobby for short period of time.  Some people "dressed up" for that.  I do not believe that Captains pose for pictures anymore.

Here is an article that explains this pretty good:

https://emmacruises.com/ncls-freestyle-dining-explained/

Here’s a part near the end of the article that sums up the dress code:

You won’t look out of place if you do dress up – but if you want to dine in jeans every day that is completely fine too.

There are some rules. You can’t eat in the Main Restaurant in swimwear but that really is about it – as long as you are dressed then all is well. Technically the dress code is called “Smart Casual.”

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, source said:

Is this the MDR menu for the entire cruise?

The ship's Executive Chef can choose each night's menu from 21 different menus. There are "specials" each night and a section of "Classic" dishes that are served every night.

Ship's on a regular itinerary typically serve the same set of menus each week so that provisioning is easier and they just use the left overs from one week for the next week's service. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CK77 said:

I always thought NCL was “freestyle dining” with no dress up night.  I understand even jeans and a t-shirt (for men)are fine on NCL in the dining rooms. Of course I could be wrong. (been wrong before many times in my life lol)

On the Breakaway/Breakaway+/Prima class ships, shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, Bayamo, Palomar where gents are asked to wear long pants (dockers or jeans are fine). 

On small ships and the Epic, gents are asked to wear long pants for dinner at Le Bistro and the aft main dining room. 

Edited by BirdTravels