NCL Gem Internet/Wi-Fi

If you have recently cruised on the NCL Gem, I would like to get people's opinion on this. My last cruise on the Gem was 10 years ago, so I know technology may have changed. I will be sailing next month (August 2024) on the Gem and I am debating on whether to "upgrade to the unlimited Wi-Fi package".

Question: Do you think upgrading to the unlimited Wi-Fi package is worth it?

I know that the NCL Gem now has "Starlink Internet", but I don't know if the signal/connection even with Starlink is still extremely slow. I would only be using the internet onboard the ship to check my email and for basic Internet searches. With my booked cruise, I currently only have 150 minutes.

@Buford T Justiice - from a quick Google search, "Does Norwegian Gem have Starlink", below is what Google says, and the post says it's from NCL.

"We have partnered with Starlink — the fastest Internet at sea — to help you stay connected through your entire voyage. For cellular plan options, simply contact your provider to choose the plan that's right for you before you embark on your vacation."

2 hours ago, Buford T Justiice said:

internet was horrible 6/21 - 6/28 on the Gem. Are you sure the Gem has Starlink operational?

Just got added.

• Thanks 1

Performance on Starlink is "o.k.". It is still limited by the ship's infrastructure, so you won't be seeing anywhere near 10MB in staterooms. Even the newest ships see around 2MB. Starlink performance on other cruise lines is much better. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Correct, during our June 28th - July 5th on the Gem the internet was horribly slow. Not only was the actual internet slow but the Wifi was terrible. So bad I went to complain and was refunded some of my money for unlimited internet. This was due at the time from what must have been a dozen IT guys working on the Gem

Hopefully with the Gem having Star Link now it will be a lot better

• Like 3