9 day cruise with my 9 year old, first time for us

1 hour ago, Tina80 said:

very helpful, thank you. I have not booked my plane tickets or hotel yet. Was hoping to arrive in Rome, stay there a couple of days and then take the bus from Rome terminal to the port. I have been in Rome before and used their trains to multiple cities, very efficient and inexpensive so I will have to look up to see what their Rome to port bus costs.

I'd recommend the train.  For many Americans train travel is a unique experience and it very convenient for Rome to Civitavecchia.  The express trains are only a 45 minute ride point to point.

• Like 2

For trying multiple meals, I will generally get two appetizers and often two entrees and have never had an issue.  If you only take one or two bites regularly of multiple entrees you may get some pushback.  I have read some servers will wait until you are finished with one entree before bringing a second.  As long as you're polite and reasonable I think you'll find the crew will fulfill most any request.

There will be a kid's menu in the main dining room (I think it's the same every night), but your 9-year-old is absolutely able to order off the main menu, or even mix-and-match.  Our kids would usually get a kid's appetizer (they could get a fruit salad that my wife even ordered one night) and an "adult" entree, and whatever they wanted for dessert.  

One note that I recall we were uncertain of for our first cruise and I rarely seen mentioned, not only can you have multiple entrees, you may go to multiple locations for dinner (or any other meal).  You don't have to decide between the main dining room menu or the Windjammer (buffet).  If you want to go to both some nights, you can go to both.  They don't scan cards so not only is it "OK" to do but they are also not actively checking/tracking where you're eating so no risk of people giving you looks.

Times that different venues are open for breakfast and lunch (and snacks) will be listed daily onboard, there is not a set time you have to be somewhere for any of these.  Go when you want, and go to as many of the (complimentary) options as you wish.

Odyssey has the Coke Freestyle machines.  If you want access to them you'll need to get one of the drink packages.  The pop/soda package (or the higher tiers) give you a cup that works with the machines and you can use them whenever you wish.  The package also lets you get pop/soda from bars.  If you don't get the package you can buy drinks one at a time (I think the typical cost is ~$3.50 for pop/soda for price comparison (that value may not be exact).  I tend to get the pop/soda package for myself while the kids have gotten by well with the basic included options.  I saw a lot of hot chocolate and lemonade (separately) for dinners.

Have a fantastic cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dramamommao said:

Everyone seems to have helped with most of your questions...as far as cell use in Europe I suggest you check with your current providers potential coverage.  It appears you are in Virginia so the SIM card thing may be unnecessary.  I have Verizon for my cell and they offer a flat rate of $10 per 24 hrs while in most of Europe.  This is only when you are on land or in port- not at sea.  

While on the ship you will need to purchase Wifi from RCI to use your phone in airplane mode when at sea (having a different SIM card will not bypass this).  If you connect to the Cell-at-Sea service you will be paying a crazy amount!

Oh thank you, now I get how it works. I have AT&T and have international plan on my line but read so many horror stories of people getting over charged on top of that $10 a day. Europe SIM it is and I will purchase the WiFi plan. I appreciate your great reply

Keep an eye on your cruise's price.  If it goes down, call and ask for a price match.  

You've already tipped; but thoughts on tipping: 

- You're under zero obligation to tip again in the Main Dining Room.  No, it won't be awkward -- your waiter & assistant waiter will know you've already tipped.  What you've already tipped also covers the Windjammer (the ship's buffet) and any small eating venues (like Park Cafe or Promenade Cafe, depending upon your ship).  If you eat at a specialty /up-charge restaurant, you should tip, as they're not included in what you've paid. 

- You didn't ask this, but in "paying ahead", you've also tipped your Cabin Steward.  

- You should bring some singles and maybe a couple fives -- small bills so you don't have to ask for change.  You might want to tip a very helpful bartender or a tour guide ashore.  Also, if you order room service, you should be prepared to tip. 

Ordering multiple items is fine, and no one will look twice at you -- though, of course, you shouldn't purposefully order more than you can eat.  I often order two appetizers.  It's also acceptable to ask for your dessert "to go" -- they'll give it to you under a silver cloche, and they'll give you a napkin/silverware packet to take with you.  Your 9-year old can order off the adult menu or the kids' menu.  You, too, can order off the kids' menu, if you want.  You can see the menus NOW on your phone app. 

The MDR wait staff is great with kids.  Once we were at a table with another family -- total of 7-8 kids -- and every evening the staff presented each child with a plate (not per family -- per child!) of cookies under a cloche to take back to the room.  On another cruise my youngest was going through a super-shy period and wouldn't speak up to say what she wanted for dessert.  The waiter said, "Don't worry -- I'll bring you the Shy Girl Special.  He came back with a tall wine glass layered with chocolate cake, vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce.  My other three girls clamored for the same thing, and for the rest of the week they all ordered "the Shy Girl Special".  

For breakfast, you can go to the buffet or the MDR or you can order room service -- maybe another restaurant or two, depending upon your ship.  Go any time the restaurants are open; your phone app or the Daily Compass (paper newspaper -- ask for one at Guest Services or ask your Cabin Steward to leave you one each day) will list hours.

For lunch, you can go to the buffet or other restaurants (they usually have a pizza place and a sandwich place) any time they're open.  On at-sea days the MDR will be open for lunch. 

You've reserved dinner each evening at 6:00.  Note that with Traditional Dining it's necessary to arrive on time.  People will line up starting about 5:50, and the doors will open promptly at 6:00.  With Traditional Dining, it's bad manners to arrive late, as it'll throw off the wait staff. 

If you're late (or if you just don't feel like dressing up and sitting through a long meal), you can go to the buffet, pizza or sandwich place without reservations.  

We personally don't buy the Internet Package.  We send a text or two to our adult children when we're in port.  Bars and restaurants tend to have free wifi.  

Drinks:  You'll have ice water, tea (iced and hot), lemonade and (sometimes) fruit punch available pretty much all day.  Milk (including chocolate) and juice are available (no charge) at breakfast, and you can take some back to your room.  Sometimes you see little milk cartons, other times it's a serve-yourself dispenser.  You're allowed to bring 12 non-alcoholic beverages + a bottle of wine onboard with you.  You can also bring a can or two back from an island stops -- they're fine with a couple unopened cans, but they check screw-top bottles carefully.  

Two weeks before boarding, email Special_Needs@rccl.com and specify that you want your beds "split" into two twins.  Put your ship name and sailing date in the heading box, or they won't read it.  This'll save your Cabin Steward from having to re-do the beds.  

No advice on specific tours, but do go ahead and book what you want.  If the prices go down, call in and ask for a price match.  Don't limit yourself to cruise-ship offerings -- private tours are less expensive and (more importantly) superior in quality.  You'll find a good number of options within walking distance of the port, or you can take a taxi.  I like to prep an envelope for each stop -- on the outside I write what we're doing, contact numbers, anything we should bring /wear; on the outside I include print-outs of confirmations -- plus any money I'll owe the tour guide + tip money, taxi money, and anything else I anticipate.  At home I can take time to count out small bills for each stop, and I know that nothing in my wallet needs to be "reserved" for upcoming tours.  You'll have a safe in your room to store the envelopes.  

Arriving back late on a port day /being late for dinner isn't particularly likely.  Most people are up and off the ship fairly early, and most are back by 2:00ish, leaving several hours before the typical 6:00ish sail-away.  Few people are out the whole day.  

You can download the Royal Caribbean app now on your phone -- just like you'd download any other app.  You'll be able to see a good bit of information now (menus, drink packages, etc.), and more (names of movies, evening show details) will show up once you're 2-3 weeks out.  

Once you're onboard, you can get all this information on a paper daily newspaper -- it's called the Daily Compass.  You can pick up a copy at Guest Services, or you can ask your Cabin Steward to leave you one on your bed each evening.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

No advice on specific tours, but do go ahead and book what you want.  If the prices go down, call in and ask for a price match.  Don't limit yourself to cruise-ship offerings -- private tours are less expensive and (more importantly) superior in quality.  

Actually this didnt wouk for me. I was onboard and a excursion then following week dropped in price. I went and asked and was connected to shore side customer service who was clueless. They insisted the price of the excursion didnt drop thru difference was the 18% tax. There is no taxe when you purchase a excursion from royal.

Luckily it is free to access royalcaribbean online and I managed to log in for the next week, go to transactions and click for details and click to cancel. And then just rebook. They do not do price matches or the difference. You have to cancel and rebook. I had obc so got the refund immediately and just rebooked myself. I especially wanted a nice tour of athens greece. Sold out! Half are already sold out. I'm a bit shocked how fast they sold out as they are just giving us a few at a time and my cruise isnt until next may. So I'd say dont want if you see one you want. I'm not checking often enough obviously. Gone before I even see them.

I never saw this one for athens greece before it sold out. Dont want a 3 hour walking tour or selfie tour, I want 3 to 5 hours and they drive me around. Not 6 or 7 hours. Rows of sold out already. 

20240722_151102222.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Keep an eye on your cruise's price.  If it goes down, call and ask for a price match.  

- You're under zero obligation to tip again in the Main Dining Room.  No, it won't be awkward -- your waiter & assistant waiter will know you've already tipped.  What you've already tipped also covers the Windjammer (the ship's buffet) and any small eating venues (like Park Cafe or Promenade Cafe, depending upon your ship).  If you eat at a specialty /up-charge restaurant, you should tip, as they're not included in what you've paid. 

- You didn't ask this, but in "paying ahead", you've also tipped your Cabin Steward.  

- You should bring some singles and maybe a couple fives -- small bills so you don't have to ask for change.  You might want to tip a very helpful bartender or a tour guide ashore.  Also, if you order room service, you should be prepared to tip. 

Ordering multiple items is fine, and no one will look twice at you -- though, of course, you shouldn't purposefully order more than you can eat.  I often order two appetizers.  It's also acceptable to ask for your dessert "to go" -- they'll give it to you under a silver cloche, and they'll give you a napkin/silverware packet to take with you.  Your 9-year old can order off the adult menu or the kids' menu.  You, too, can order off the kids' menu, if you want.  You can see the menus NOW on your phone app. 

The MDR wait staff is great with kids.  Once we were at a table with another family -- total of 7-8 kids -- and every evening the staff presented each child with a plate (not per family -- per child!) of cookies under a cloche to take back to the room.  On another cruise my youngest was going through a super-shy period and wouldn't speak up to say what she wanted for dessert.  The waiter said, "Don't worry -- I'll bring you the Shy Girl Special.  He came back with a tall wine glass layered with chocolate cake, vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce.  My other three girls clamored for the same thing, and for the rest of the week they all ordered "the Shy Girl Special".  

For breakfast, you can go to the buffet or the MDR or you can order room service -- maybe another restaurant or two, depending upon your ship.  Go any time the restaurants are open; your phone app or the Daily Compass (paper newspaper -- ask for one at Guest Services or ask your Cabin Steward to leave you one each day) will list hours.

For lunch, you can go to the buffet or other restaurants (they usually have a pizza place and a sandwich place) any time they're open.  On at-sea days the MDR will be open for lunch. 

You've reserved dinner each evening at 6:00.  Note that with Traditional Dining it's necessary to arrive on time.  People will line up starting about 5:50, and the doors will open promptly at 6:00.  With Traditional Dining, it's bad manners to arrive late, as it'll throw off the wait staff. 

If you're late (or if you just don't feel like dressing up and sitting through a long meal), you can go to the buffet, pizza or sandwich place without reservations.  

We personally don't buy the Internet Package.  We send a text or two to our adult children when we're in port.  Bars and restaurants tend to have free wifi.  

Drinks:  You'll have ice water, tea (iced and hot), lemonade and (sometimes) fruit punch available pretty much all day.  Milk (including chocolate) and juice are available (no charge) at breakfast, and you can take some back to your room.  Sometimes you see little milk cartons, other times it's a serve-yourself dispenser.  You're allowed to bring 12 non-alcoholic beverages + a bottle of wine onboard with you.  You can also bring a can or two back from an island stops -- they're fine with a couple unopened cans, but they check screw-top bottles carefully.  

Two weeks before boarding, email Special_Needs@rccl.com and specify that you want your beds "split" into two twins.  Put your ship name and sailing date in the heading box, or they won't read it.  This'll save your Cabin Steward from having to re-do the beds.  

No advice on specific tours, but do go ahead and book what you want.  If the prices go down, call in and ask for a price match.  Don't limit yourself to cruise-ship offerings -- private tours are less expensive and (more importantly) superior in quality.  You'll find a good number of options within walking distance of the port, or you can take a taxi.  I like to prep an envelope for each stop -- on the outside I write what we're doing, contact numbers, anything we should bring /wear; on the outside I include print-outs of confirmations -- plus any money I'll owe the tour guide + tip money, taxi money, and anything else I anticipate.  At home I can take time to count out small bills for each stop, and I know that nothing in my wallet needs to be "reserved" for upcoming tours.  You'll have a safe in your room to store the envelopes.  

Arriving back late on a port day /being late for dinner isn't particularly likely.  Most people are up and off the ship fairly early, and most are back by 2:00ish, leaving several hours before the typical 6:00ish sail-away.  Few people are out the whole day.  

You can download the Royal Caribbean app now on your phone -- just like you'd download any other app.  You'll be able to see a good bit of information now (menus, drink packages, etc.), and more (names of movies, evening show details) will show up once you're 2-3 weeks out.  

Once you're onboard, you can get all this information on a paper daily newspaper -- it's called the Daily Compass.  You can pick up a copy at Guest Services, or you can ask your Cabin Steward to leave you one on your bed each evening.  

Most passengers will NOT be back by 2pm on a cruise like the OP is taking.  Most days, they don't sail until 7pm or 9pm.  With multiple tender ports, I would look into booking cruise line excursions just because of logistics.  I would also be careful about booking and cancelling excursions if there is a price change because you could get locked out of an excursion you really wanted to take.

To the OP, with these port times, a 6pm dining time is going to be tough.  The Windjammer might be a good choice on some of your longer port days or book a later reservation in the Solarium Bistro, which is also a free venue.  You might also find that you are eating dinner in port on some of those wonderful islands.

Posted (edited)

@Tina80, you've gotten lots of great advice from people with much more experience than I have.  I just wanted to point out that you can pre- arrange private tours with just you and your child and a driver and an English speaking guide in many cities.  Years ago, I used the Rick Steves site and hired a private tour in Athens and Ephesus.  We were met at the port in each case and taken to our pre-arranged destinations.  In Athens, we were able to get to the Acropolis long before the tour from the ship did and had a much less crowded experience.  In Ephesus, (in August) we were so grateful to have our own guide walk along with us and explain what we were seeing - and very glad to have an air conditioned car to make the drive back to the ship. We still talk about weather as being Ephesus hot, lol.  The best thing about a private tour is you can change plans quickly if your child is not interested since it's just you and your companion.

Have a wonderful trip!  (Oh TA can stand for travel agent or trans-Atlantic cruise)

Edited by DelMom18a

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Actually this didnt wouk for me. I was onboard and a excursion then following week dropped in price. I went and asked and was connected to shore side customer service who was clueless.

You say you were onboard?  Maybe it was too late?  I've made changes on cruise tickets and "extras" numerous times.  

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

With multiple tender ports, I would look into booking cruise line excursions just because of logistics.

We ought to talk about what a tender is:  Sometimes the ship can come in close to pier /people can walk off the ship ... everyone strongly prefers this.  If the ship can't come in close to the pier, you have to "take a tender", which is a small boat that shuttles you to the pier.  It's a slower process, and Royal Caribbean does give priority to people who've reserved their ship-based excursions (maybe some other categories too -- not sure).  Before you make your plans, you should look into whether you're going to be docked or tendering.  

18 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

You say you were onboard?  Maybe it was too late?  I've made changes on cruise tickets and "extras" numerous times.  

We ought to talk about what a tender is:  Sometimes the ship can come in close to pier /people can walk off the ship ... everyone strongly prefers this.  If the ship can't come in close to the pier, you have to "take a tender", which is a small boat that shuttles you to the pier.  It's a slower process, and Royal Caribbean does give priority to people who've reserved their ship-based excursions (maybe some other categories too -- not sure).  Before you make your plans, you should look into whether you're going to be docked or tendering.  

It was a b2b. And since I said I was able to do the cancel myself and rebook, obviously it was not too late. It was for the next week after the week I was onboard. They do not price match. They cancel and rebook. You wait for the refund if you used a credit card. 

I called and as I said they claimed there was a 18% tax on excursions. Clearly if you know excursions you know this is not true. Just a bad agent. Luckily I could sign in without buying wifi to their site and do it myself. You can get on royalcaribbean site without wifi on your cruise. Ever since I've been doing it myself. It was a minor amount, just did it myself. 

6 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Thank you so much for your helpful reply! Very informative. I went ahead and downloaded the app to see how it works. Loved the shy girl special too! And I can tell you are a very organized person with that envelop idea 🙂

5 hours ago, DelMom18a said:

@Tina80, you've gotten lots of great advice from people with much more experience than I have.  I just wanted to point out that you can pre- arrange private tours with just you and your child and a driver and an English speaking guide in many cities.  Years ago, I used the Rick Steves site and hired a private tour in Athens and Ephesus.  We were met at the port in each case and taken to our pre-arranged destinations.  In Athens, we were able to get to the Acropolis long before the tour from the ship did and had a much less crowded experience.  In Ephesus, (in August) we were so grateful to have our own guide walk along with us and explain what we were seeing - and very glad to have an air conditioned car to make the drive back to the ship. We still talk about weather as being Ephesus hot, lol.  The best thing about a private tour is you can change plans quickly if your child is not interested since it's just you and your companion.

Have a wonderful trip!  (Oh TA can stand for travel agent or trans-Atlantic cruise)

Ephesus hot 🙂 That was sooo funny! Thank you for your help and tips. Ihope I can find private tours as theyall sell out quickly

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I'd recommend the train.  For many Americans train travel is a unique experience and it very convenient for Rome to Civitavecchia.  The express trains are only a 45 minute ride point to point.

Thank you, is this from the terminal? I remember going to several cities by train while I was in Italy

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Tina80 said:

Thank you, is this from the terminal? I remember going to several cities by train while I was in Italy

If you get a hotel I wouldnt get one really close to the train. Several hotel reviews right by the train station in rome, especially at night the area was sketchy, move 20 minutes walk away maybe. That's why I got more central rome at a higher price. There are many hotels recommended more central on the italy section. Smeraldo seems to be a top pick. Look at its location and find something near there perhaps. You can walk to spanish steps and tivoli and other well known places from there on your own.

This might be obvious and I dont need to mention but I will have euros to spend for food and tips and transport in rome. Not dollars. I also will always carry some small bills for tips and exact change but in europe euros. Including small bills in euros. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2024 at 10:02 AM, Tina80 said:

Yes, and visited Italy a couple years back among so many other countries. Had to get the passport renewed for my last trip so those are still valid 🙂 Do we need visa too? (US citizens)

Don't forget children's passports only last 5 years and they need to be valid for at least 6 months after your trip.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fred30 said:

Don't forget children's passports only last 5 years and they need to be valid for at least 6 months after your trip.

Many places in Europe are now 3 months...... but yes, very valuable advice!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

If you get a hotel I wouldnt get one really close to the train. Several hotel reviews right by the train station in rome, especially at night the area was sketchy, move 20 minutes walk away maybe. That's why I got more central rome at a higher price. There are many hotels recommended more central on the italy section. Smeraldo seems to be a top pick. Look at its location and find something near there perhaps. You can walk to spanish steps and tivoli and other well known places from there on your own.

This might be obvious and I dont need to mention but I will have euros to spend for food and tips and transport in rome. Not dollars. I also will always carry some small bills for tips and exact change but in europe euros. Including small bills in euros. 

Very helpful thank you. I really appreciate your comment