Age range for excursions

John117

I have just discovered that EJ have an age range for a lot of their excursions. This range has a maximum as well as a minimum age with many shown as 70 years irrespective of how fit you are.

Does anyone know if this range is for guidance or applied rigorously?

I discovered that around 12 months ago and also thought that it was pretty odd, if not discriminatory. An insurance that thinks that 62 year old or 69 year old are per se not eligible/able to walk up a mountain, sure sounds crazy in the year 2024, if that is really the reason behind it.
Obese 15 year old teenagers or managers with burnout Syndrom and a heart condition at the age of 51 however are ok, just because they are within the age range. What a strange world. 

I did contact Explora back then, questioned this and told them, that I felt discriminated by such out of time and absolutely unsuitable rules.

They never really cleared the issue or explained it, but told me, I would be welcomed to join their tours.

On board no-one from excursion desk even blinked an eye or asked or told about any age restriction to any excursion. So go figure. If it really comes down to insurance, then they better eliminate those excursions, take another insurance company or instruct their onboard staff accordingly. 

I do not recall seeing any such age restriction with any other other cruise line. I am now 62, young enough and fit enough to go hiking, swimming, snorkeling and even scuba diving, if I wanted to. And I believe this will not change for the next 5-10 years either. And if it changes, the I am the first to know and I am the one taking action by slowing things down, not booking a 6 hour hiking adventure in the Caribbean heat. 😉

• Like 1

Last time I was with Celebrity , I probably did not even look at the fine print. I was under 60 and never even thought of any of that. 😀

Now I look at those things and do find it discriminating and not suitable at all, since most people our age and older used to take good care of themselves. Fact is, age means nothing when it comes to health and fitness. But for insurance companies, that is probably the only straw they can grab, when it comes to lowering their risks. 

I still don’t think that is right…

Same on Azamara. Last time on Explora either they ignored the maximum or it wasn’t applying on the excursions we did. 
Azamara are brutally strict their system flags up your age and it will not allow a booking to be made - in our case we couldn’t join a cooking class which was ridiculous. 
They said it’s the company that provides the excursions that sets the limits and they have to follow them strictly. No way round the issue - other than suggesting I being slightly younger went and DH went on a panoramic drive around - that was the ultimate slap as he’s fitter than me. 

• Haha 2

We found the some situation on a Celebrity cruise.  However, when we researched the tour privately the age limit did not exist.  The problem was that Celebrity had booked the entire boat for the day.  So, in our case it was a Celebrity restriction. This was in Bonaire.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

We found the some situation on a Celebrity cruise.  However, when we researched the tour privately the age limit did not exist.  The problem was that Celebrity had booked the entire boat for the day.  So, in our case it was a Celebrity restriction. This was in Bonaire.

If snorkeling I go private. 

All the cruise lines contract with land-based tour companies, to provide their excursions.  The cruise lines do impose certain requirements on these shore-based companies including that they have an adequate level of insurance.  Many insurance policies, that apply to excursions, include age requirements as part of the policy Hence, there are age requirements (especially for things like snorkeling, sailing, etc).  What you choose to do on your own, be it booking your own tours with land-based companies or just going on your own, is not necessarily subject to the same requirements

Hank

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

All the cruise lines contract with land-based tour companies, to provide their excursions.  The cruise lines do impose certain requirements on these shore-based companies including that they have an adequate level of insurance.  Many insurance policies, that apply to excursions, include age requirements as part of the policy Hence, there are age requirements (especially for things like snorkeling, sailing, etc).  What you choose to do on your own, be it booking your own tours with land-based companies or just going on your own, is not necessarily subject to the same requirements

Hank

And most importantly have the same insurance standards or safety requirements (even if independently you go with a provider the ship used). 

On 7/23/2024 at 12:02 AM, uktog said:

...Same on Azamara. Last time on Explora either they ignored the maximum or it wasn’t applying on the excursions we did. 
Azamara are brutally strict their system flags up your age and it will not allow a booking to be made - in our case we couldn’t join a cooking class which was ridiculous. 

Glad I checked in here as I had been idly considering Azamara and Explora. Crossing them off now.

I greatly enjoyed some hiking excursions on Silversea without any questions asked.

• 2 weeks later...

I sailed on Oceania Vista in January.  I was unable to book a snorkeling tour in St. Bart's in advance because I was over 70. They also claimed that it was the vendors insurance company that had this restriction.   While onboard, I checked with the excursion desk, and they said they could get me on the tour.  Unfortunately, weather conditions wouldn't allow us to tender in St. Bart's so no one got to go.  I wondered if perhaps the fact that I appear younger than 70 might have caused me to clear the age restriction or that might be wishful thinking on my part.  Today, I attempted to book a similar tour for a St. Bart's swim sail and the response was that the tour was restricted.  Explora did not mention any upper age restrictions in the details.  Getting old rots...

• Like 1

On 8/4/2024 at 9:41 PM, pavementends said:

Glad I checked in here as I had been idly considering Azamara and Explora. Crossing them off now.

I greatly enjoyed some hiking excursions on Silversea without any questions asked.

Sadly, I believe they all have similar restrictions.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nashna said:

Sadly, I believe they all have similar restrictions.  

I believe in most cases the magic age is  70-75. I snorkeled this past year.i am in the age range that I mention, I still believe it’s an ins thing with tour companies.

Update.  I went back to my account and pulled up the sailing trip that I was originally unable to reserve as it was "restricted".  Today, the site allowed me to reserve the trip.  Not sure what happened, but I now have it booked.  We shall see.  In January, Oceania allowed me to book and pay for a snorkeling trip.  Three weeks prior to sailing, they cancelled that reservation due to age restrictions.  

• Like 1

On 7/22/2024 at 12:38 PM, CruiseCrew123 said:

It’s usually because it’s a condition of their insurance cover

Isn't this easily solved by having people just sign a waiver?