Silhouette Sunset Veranda?

How do folks find these cabins on the S-class ships?  A quick search shows they are not as "private" as normal verandas and I've noticed that in the past when up at the OVC and peering off the back of the ship.  But, that deck area is where I always eat breakfast and always enjoy watching the wake of the ship, so it seems like it might be very pleasant despite the lack of overhead privacy and/or shade.

Will we be happy? It will be for the Norwegian Fjords sailing, so maybe a nice late evening spot (sunset after 11pm!).

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It is always one of our favorite stateroom locations.  On the "S" class ships the decks do slope outward as they go down, so the outside of the decks can be seen from above.  But that never has bothered us. Our preference is to have one stateroom deck between us and the Oceanview Cafe to assure no possible noise from there.  But otherwise any deck is good.

Can't answer as to whether or not you will be happy, but we certainly would be.  And the views from there are good no matter the itinerary. JMO

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cbfb said:

Are the SV on S class bigger than the regular verandas? 

Mine was huge it was an SV on deck 10 in the middle which had the largest balcony of all the sunset verandahs. Spent a lot of time out there views are phenomenal even better than the views from the sailaway from the helipad on deck six as there is no obstruction. I think it was on Equinox.  Slight overhang so people above could see down if you are standing near the railing but views so worth slight inconvenience. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Mine was huge it was an SV on deck 10 in the middle which had the largest balcony of all the sunset verandahs. Spent a lot of time out there views are phenomenal even better than the views from the sailaway from the helipad on deck six as there is no obstruction. I think it was on Equinox.  Slight overhang so people above could see down if you are standing near the railing but views so worth slight inconvenience. 

Wonderful! Thank you! We are in the same location on deck 11. The only other SV we had was Beyond which was huge! Very much looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cbfb said:

Wonderful! Thank you! We are in the same location on deck 11. The only other SV we had was Beyond which was huge! Very much looking forward to it. 

The two largest S class SV balonies are the 2 in the middle.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

The two largest S class SV balonies are the 2 in the middle.

It looks like this is the cabin I booked. We are in 1676 SV on Silhouette on our first b2b over NYE. Very excited! 

• Like 3

My friend and I recently did a ten night cruise on Silhouette in SVs in the middle of deck 8.  They are our absolute favorite staterooms.  We book early to be sure they are available.  They are quiet and the long walk to the aft of the ship makes us feel less guilty about the treats we snag at Cafe Al Bacio 😉.  We also ask the stateroom attendant to open up the balcony divider so we have an extra wide space to enjoy.  You will love it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Purplsmurf said:

We absolutely love them! Have one booked on Ascent for the TA in October.

I also booked an SV on Ascent following my TA next May its a Mediterranean cruise after the transatlantic.  My Celebrity vacation planner had last one on deck 9 on hold didn't think they were going to book and it went back online sometime after midnight. I happened to wake up at 4 30 saw it put hold on it till he got in at 9 am voila its mine. So happy. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cbfb said:

You're welcome next one is on Ascent in May 2025

Deck 9. App says 89 square feet so its a good size. Never had anything but insides on the E class ships and I've been on All 4

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the cruise (Norway Fjords) and the SV we had on deck 7 (Silhouette - 7315) was GREAT!  A "medium" size veranda - larger than our neighbors but not the largest on the back.  

The main/only drawback was soot on the deck/chairs (cabin steward gave us towels for the chairs and to wipe feet on entry), and the associated exhaust fumes that can trail the ship.  

Having a view directly out the rear of the ship from our bed was ALWAYS lovely. And you could crack the door for the white noise from the ships wake which was a great background soundtrack.  With 2 sea days, it was also a great retreat from the busy times on the ship.

Two thumbs up with just the soot issue as a downside.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LeeK1 said:

Booked our first SV on deck nine, middle for our ABC cruise.  Looking forward to it.  

Booked an SV on the Ascent for next May Mediterranean cruise. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have always booked our staterooms around the middle of the ship.  How much do you feel the pitching of the ship when in heavier seas in the SV’s?

Leek - great question. As a long time blue water sailors, IMO the front of the ship pitches more than aft in bad seas. The middle of the ship in a lower deck level experiences less movement. We have midship deck 7 on our upcoming TA & glad we have that. Sometimes crossing the pond will not be a pond!!!!! So I would rather be midship. I usually get my sea legs 3 days after setting off to sea if the conditions are more than 3 meter seas. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

Leek - great question. As a long time blue water sailors, IMO the front of the ship pitches more than aft in bad seas. The middle of the ship in a lower deck level experiences less movement. We have midship deck 7 on our upcoming TA & glad we have that. Sometimes crossing the pond will not be a pond!!!!! So I would rather be midship. I usually get my sea legs 3 days after setting off to sea if the conditions are more than 3 meter seas. 

This year's TA crossing on the Ascent was smooth really like crossing a pond. Pools were busy every day and weather hot and sunny. Last years TA on Apex we had a couple rough sea nights. Nothing during the day captain veered off course a bit which didn't affect our arrival times. 

24 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

That crossing was in April? November weather may be more chilly.

Yes April 2023 and 2024. Never crossed the Atlantic in the fall. I

23 hours ago, LeeK1 said:

We have always booked our staterooms around the middle of the ship.  How much do you feel the pitching of the ship when in heavier seas in the SV’s?

For us - going from Rotterdam to Norway and back - there was minimal movement in our cabin.  My wife is a little sensitive to it, and commented how calm the seas were, so either they really were calm or the room and ship were unaffected by any rougher patches we might have encountered.

• Like 1