Which one is best?

Posted (edited)

Looking at a few itineraries for summer 2026.  I would like to see fjords.  Which of these itineraries would you choose and why?

1. London to Bergen - British Isles Explorer-  London, London, Dover, English Channel, Dublin, Wales, Liverpool, Belfast, The Highlands (Ullapool), Orkney Islands (Kirkwall), Edinburgh, The Highlands (Invergordon), Shetland Islands (Lerwick), Bergen, Bergen $8299

2. Bergan to London - Into the Midnight Sun - Bergan, Bergan, Geiranger, Sail the Norwegian Sea, Lofoten, Tromso, Honningsvag, Sail the Norwegian Sea, Shetland Islands (Lerwick), Orkney Islands (Kirkwall), Edinburgh, Sail the North Sea, London, London - I must say I'm not familiar with much of this itinerary.  This one is $1,000 less than the other two for the same amount of days.

3. Stockholm to Bergen - Viking Homelands - Stockholm, Stockholm, Tallinn Estonia, Sail the Baltic Sea, Gdansk Poland, Bornholm Denmark, Berlin, Copenhagen, Alborg Denmark, Oslo, Oslo, Stavanger, Eidford, Bergan, Bergan 

4. There's one that is Iceland and Norway as well, but I'd rather see London or Denmark than Iceland.

The website is showing a $25 deposit and "reduced" airfare.  I don't know if I'd ever book cruise air again or if it's even a bargain.  Are the prices good now or should we just wait until other cruise lines open their Norway itineraries for summer 2026?  We would be first timers with Viking so no extra discounts.

We would probably book a DV.  Would all the good excursions be sold out before we could book?

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Viking! Where in NC are ya?  Raleighite here

If Fjords are the focus then only 2 & 4 will really satisfy that.   #3 will a fjord to/from Eidford. Not familiar with that port but can’t imagine it will come close to 2 or 4. 

As a first time Viking cruiser, your final payment date will be at least 12 months prior to embarkation (some have reported 18 months).  If you know someone who has sailed Viking (River, Ocean, Expedition) they can “refer” you and you’ll get $100 off per person. Additionally, if you find a travel agent who kickback the max Viking allows-you would get $300 per person which is enough to cover daily gratuities or other onboard purchases. 

Unless you want to take the excursions that have very limited numbers, you shouldn’t have any issue getting excursions. The biggest thing to keep in mind is you may not get them for the time you prefer. 

You may want to take a look at this thread, it has lots of tips and advice for making the most of your first Viking cruise: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/page/62/#comment-62141739

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the Viking board.

I’ll try and answer some of your questions and I’m sure others will add more in depth information.

If you want to see fjords, of the four you listed, Into the Midnight Sun is the one to go on. But we are going to Iceland - Norway in 2 weeks and are really anticipating it. We’ve been to London a half dozen times.

Viking tends to discount its airfare rather than deep discount its fares. However bargains can be found. There’s a thread where people will list any promo codes they find: Post Viking Promos. Be sure to check it before you book anything. We use Viking Air all the time and have never had issues with it. Others prefer more control over flight selection, want to use frequent flyer miles, want to book business, think they can get it cheaper, etc. We like the convenience of integrated  travel with Viking handling our transportation to and from the ship. This is a subject of great debate on this board.

Viking has a high occupancy rate on popular cruises so do you buy now or later is always a big question. Only you can decide. Typically the lower cost V cabins sell first. DVs are the most numerous cabins and they usually have availability, but the last ones available seem to be at the elevators and by the laundry room. So if location is important, booking early is preferable to waiting for a better deal.

We have always booked a DV and have never had problems booking optional excursions. There are threads on this forum that detail the process to improved your chances. Basically if you book as soon as your slot opens, you should get what you want. You will always be able to book included excursions, but maybe not at your preferred time.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

Failed to realize I didn’t answer your question about pricing.  I don’t think waiting for other lines ti list their prices will make any difference in what Viking charges. Typically, the stateroom prices stay the same, but they offer promos that have cabin upgrades, “free” air, or “free” Silver Spirits-the drinks package. 

We have found the best promos typically happen within 4-6 months pre-embarkation.  For example, we took #4 last July (2023)but booked it in the summer of 2022.  The last promo I saw was about $1000pp less than what we paid. 

So if you can be flexible with timing and either have ways of booking air on your own at a discount (points?) or are willing to take Viking’s “free” air, then it may be worth waiting to book. 

11 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Welcome to Viking! Where in NC are ya?  Raleighite here

Charlotte 

If Fjords are the focus then only 2 & 4 will really satisfy that.   #3 will a fjord to/from Eidford. Not familiar with that port but can’t imagine it will come close to 2 or 4. 

I’d prefer 2 over 4. I’ve never been to London and think it would be cool to see. 

As a first time Viking cruiser, your final payment date will be at least 12 months prior to embarkation (some have reported 18 months).  If you know someone who has sailed Viking (River, Ocean, Expedition) they can “refer” you and you’ll get $100 off per person. Additionally, if you find a travel agent who kickback the max Viking allows-you would get $300 per person which is enough to cover daily gratuities or other onboard purchases. 

It could be a problem having to make final payment so early. I have a friend that’s booked with Viking but for next summer. She’s thinking about doing this with us. 

We do have a TA that gives $300 pp for Viking. So daily gratuities aren’t included?

Unless you want to take the excursions that have very limited numbers, you shouldn’t have any issue getting excursions. The biggest thing to keep in mind is you may not get them for the time you prefer. 

You may want to take a look at this thread, it has lots of tips and advice for making the most of your first Viking cruise: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/page/62/#comment-62141739

Thank you!

8 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Welcome to the Viking board.

Thanks!

I’ll try and answer some of your questions and I’m sure other will add more in depth information.

If you want to see fjords, of the four you listed, Into the Midnight Sun is the one to go on. But we are going to Iceland - Norway in 2 weeks and are really anticipating it. We’ve been to London a half dozen times.

We’ve never been to London so 2 looks appealing to us. 

Viking tends to discount its airfare rather than deep discount its fares. However bargains can be found. There’s a thread where people will list and promo codes they find: Post Viking Promos. Be sure to check it before you book anything. We use Viking Air all the time and have never had issues with it. Others prefer more control over flight selection, want to use frequent flyer miles, want to book business, think they can get it cheaper, etc. We like the convenience of integrated  travel with Viking handling our transportation to and from the ship. This is a subject of great debate on this board.

Could I use those codes as a first time cruiser with Viking?  

We used our AA miles last month flying to Europe and next summer we will use our Chase miles to fly into Barcelona and out of Paris, so we will be all out of miles options. Of their air is considered a “good deal” we might consider it. 

Viking cruises have a high occupancy rate on popular cruises so do you buy now or later is always a big question. Only you can decide. Typically the lower cost V cabins sell first. DVs are the most numerous cabins and they usually have available, but the last ones available seem to be at the elevators and by the laundry room. So if location is important, booking early is preferable to waiting for a better deal.

We aren’t overly picky about location of rooms, although neither of those locations would be ideal. 

We have always booked a DV and have never had problems booking optional excursions. There are threads on this forum that detail the process to improved your chances. Basically if you book as soon as your slot opens, you should get what you want. You will always be able to book included excursions, but maybe not at your preferred time.

Good to know, thanks!  Would we be able to see the excursions before we can book them?  Just so we’d know what we wanted when it opened for us. 

Again, the issue may be having to make final payment so early. We can only take one big vacation a year and this would force us to pay for two at the same time. 

2 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Charlotte  👍

I’d prefer 2 over 4. I’ve never been to London and think it would be cool to see. 
Prepare yourself, was just there and really expensive. 

It could be a problem having to make final payment so early. I have a friend that’s booked with Viking but for next summer. She’s thinking about doing this with us. 

We do have a TA that gives $300 pp for Viking. So daily gratuities aren’t included?
correct-they are $18pp/pd

Thank you!

Thanks!

We’ve never been to London so 2 looks appealing to us. 

Could I use those codes as a first time cruiser with Viking?  Yes

We used our AA miles last month flying to Europe and next summer we will use our Chase miles to fly into Barcelona and out of Paris, so we will be all out of miles options. Of their air is considered a “good deal” we might consider it. 

We aren’t overly picky about location of rooms, although neither of those locations would be ideal. We had friends directly in front of the elevator and they had no sound issues at all.  Other friends where across from the laundry and said the same (and they loved the convenience. 

Good to know, thanks!  Would we be able to see the excursions before we can book them?  Just so we’d know what we wanted when it opened for us.  Yes

Again, the issue may be having to make final payment so early. We can only take one big vacation a year and this would force us to pay for two at the same time. 

Answers in red above 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Could I use those codes as a first time cruiser with Viking?

Yes.

There is one exception. Viking has been running a promo only for those that have an existing reservation. It’s similar to the deal you get if you book another cruise onboard. All other promotions are good for anyone in the U.S. to use.

Good to know, thanks!  Would we be able to see the excursions before we can book them?  Just so we’d know what we wanted when it opened for us. 

Yes. Excursions and prices are published on My Viking Journey about 4 months before sailings. You can however get an idea of what to expect by drilling down into the day by day itinerary for a specific cruise on the website. Just be aware that all excursions may not be available and subject to change.

In the U.S. no. There is a suggested daily amount that is added to your invoice a couple of days before the end of your cruise. This is not mandatory. You can go to customer service and have it changed or removed, although few people do. We are more than happy to pay it due to the outstanding service we receive from the entire crew.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Whoever thinks London is expensive now, just be happy it’s not 2008. The pound was DOUBLE the USD.

We liked our stateroom by the elevator, and for a future cruise, we booked one by the laundry room.

Viking’s fares generally are updated on the first of every month. Also, they’re quite polite about indicating when a category is getting booked up. Each month you can delay may put off your final payment date by one month. Or not. I can’t recall!

When the air is FREE, it’s as good as using FF miles. Better, actually.

Have fun planning.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

4. There's one that is Iceland and Norway as well, but I'd rather see London or Denmark than Iceland.

You have been receiving information already from very knowledgeable Viking cruisers. If your reference in #4 is to the Iceland & Norway’s Arctic Explorer trip, I would strongly encourage your to consider it. If your major interest is in fjords and spectacular coastal scenery, this cruise provides a full dose of that during the Norway mainland segment (similar to the Midnight Sun trip). It also includes Svalbard - a location that is far north and which very few people will ever visit. Longyearbyen is just over 800 miles from the North Pole. As well, Iceland is otherworldly and not to be missed.

If you take the Bergen to Reykjavik route, you will be halfway home at the end of the cruise.

With any fjord cruise , London will be worlds apart from the rest of the cruise. If you'd like to see it, I'd suggest #4, but fly into London a few days early and explore that wonderful city. Flights from London to Bergen are easy.

The only other item I noticed was that your recent history appears to have been on large ships. While those of us who frequent Viking like the much smaller size, it's a very different experience, and I encourage you to browse a number of the Viking threads to understand the changes inherent in a smaller ship.

And just one fjord pic to whet your appetite ... 🍺🥌

image.thumb.png.94abad891873e8c7ee99e0ee4f6327b8.png

Edited by CurlerRob
Typo
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

There’s a thread where people will list any promo codes they find: Post Viking Promos

Post Viking Promos

2 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Viking tends to discount its airfare rather than deep discount its fares.

Since it can be removed even after final payment (as long as it hasn't been ticketed been ticketed), I always book Viking Air. I booked my own flights on our last cruise because I saved 50% over what Viking was charging (for business class) but booked with Viking Air for our upcoming adventure. Over time, I think it has been 50/50. Each adventure is a different set of facts and a different decision.

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

If you know someone who has sailed Viking (River, Ocean, Expedition) they can “refer” you and you’ll get $100 off per person.

Read the sticky at the top of this forum on "referrals." We can tell you about referrals but we can't offer them to you nor can you ask us to provide them. It is a Viking policy.

Oops, your friend can be your referral. Ask her for her guest number. She may have to call Viking to get it. It is different from a booking number.

I don’t think waiting for other lines ti list their prices will make any difference in what Viking charges. Typically, the stateroom prices stay the same

My data says that Viking prices are going up. A few months ago, I posted some numbers and if I had that piece of paper I would share what I posted then (because heavens knows which thread I was responding to).  But I can say that in April, 2023 I booked Hong Kong to Tokyo for May, 2025; the brochure price for my DV6 cabin has gone up $1700pp (and is sold out). December, 2023 I booked Malta/Med/Morocco and the brochure price for my DV6 cabin is up by $500pp (in 8 months). And the pricier cabins have had even bigger price jumps.

For example, we took #4 last July (2023)but booked it in the summer of 2022.  The last promo I saw was about $1000pp less than what we paid. 

@Clay Clayton i am going to disagree with you big-time on this one. Your experience was two years ago, as we were coming out of Covid. I really think that things have changed since then. Prices have definitely increased across the board and right now, I think that if price is the real incentive then booking early may be the way to go, because we don't  know when the increase in prices is going to slow down (much less result in price drops).

3 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

If your friend already has a Viking booking for a future cruise when she goes to book, then she can ask for final payment six month prior to sailing. She would not have to make her final payment until early 2026. AND, when you book, try to get Viking to move it closer (12 months is the best you can hope for and don't make your deposit until you agree with the final payment date; making the deposit says you agree to the terms and condition as stated on the guest statement and Viking won't make changes once you have agreed.

Finally, ditto to everything that @CurlerRob said -- read more about smaller ship cruising and particular about Viking (which is not a party ship, attracts older folks, because that is who Viking has been marketing to for the past 25 years, is port intensive, has a quieter on-board experience (no art auctions, no yards of gold, photographers; see the first few pages of https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2381846-tell-me-why/)

PLUS one addition to his advice -- stay more time in Iceland, if you can swing it -- even if just one night to "The Golden Circle."  GrayLine tours will meet you and your luggage as you disembark and drop you at or near your hotel at the end of the tour.

8 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Failed to realize I didn’t answer your question about pricing.  I don’t think waiting for other lines ti list their prices will make any difference in what Viking charges. Typically, the stateroom prices stay the same, but they offer promos that have cabin upgrades, “free” air, or “free” Silver Spirits-the drinks package. 

I wasn’t expecting it to change their pricing, but other lines may be more do-able for us. It’s not the price, it’s the final payment being so early. My husband gets a bonus every year that we use to make final payment on our cruises. It’s painless. looks like if we wait a better promo could be around the corner though. 

We have found the best promos typically happen within 4-6 months pre-embarkation.  For example, we took #4 last July (2023)but booked it in the summer of 2022.  The last promo I saw was about $1000pp less than what we paid. 

So if you can be flexible with timing and either have ways of booking air on your own at a discount (points?) or are willing to take Viking’s “free” air, then it may be worth waiting to book. 

We would probably already have something else booked by then. Once I return from a cruise I like to start planning my next. 

Answers in red above 

It’s only couple days. 

8 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Yes.

There is one exception. Viking has been running a promo only for those that have an existing reservation. It’s similar to the deal you get if you book another cruise onboard. All other promotions are good for anyone in the U.S. to use.

Yes. Excursions and prices are published on My Viking Journey about 4 months before sailings. You can however get an idea of what to expect by drilling down into the day by day itinerary for a specific cruise on the website. Just be aware that all excursions may not be available and subject to change.

In the U.S. no. There is a suggested daily amount that is added to your invoice a couple of days before the end of your cruise. This is not mandatory. You can go to customer service and have it changed or removed, although few people do. We are more than happy to pay it due to the outstanding service we receive from the entire crew.

We always pay our gratuities. I just assumed since Viking is “all inclusive”, gratuities were included as well. I believe they have been on our Celebrity promos. 

8 hours ago, May B said:

Whoever thinks London is expensive now, just be happy it’s not 2008. The pound was DOUBLE the USD.

We liked our stateroom by the elevator, and for a future cruise, we booked one by the laundry room.

Viking’s fares generally are updated on the first of every month. Also, they’re quite polite about indicating when a category is getting booked up. Each month you can delay may put off your final payment date by one month. Or not. I can’t recall!

Have fun planning.

Free air would be great since all our miles will be used up by then!  Back to back trip to Europe will wipe us out. 

8 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

You have been receiving information already from very knowledgeable Viking cruisers. If your reference in #4 is to the Iceland & Norway’s Arctic Explorer trip, I would strongly encourage your to consider it. If your major interest is in fjords and spectacular coastal scenery, this cruise provides a full dose of that during the Norway mainland segment (similar to the Midnight Sun trip). It also includes Svalbard - a location that is far north and which very few people will ever visit. Longyearbyen is just over 800 miles from the North Pole. As well, Iceland is otherworldly and not to be missed.

I could discuss with my husband and friends. 

If you take the Bergen to Reykjavik route, you will be halfway home at the end of the cruise.

With any fjord cruise , London will be worlds apart from the rest of the cruise. If you'd like to see it, I'd suggest #4, but fly into London a few days early and explore that wonderful city. Flights from London to Bergen are easy.

That’s an option. 

The only other item I noticed was that your recent history appears to have been on large ships. While those of us who frequent Viking like the much smaller size, it's a very different experience, and I encourage you to browse a number of the Viking threads to understand the changes inherent in a smaller ship.

And just one fjord pic to whet your appetite ... 🍺🥌

image.thumb.png.94abad891873e8c7ee99e0ee4f6327b8.png

Yes, that’s all we’ve ever done. Our last cruise was on the NCL Pearl, which was smaller than most we’ve been on. I was disappointed with their onboard entertainment but since we had a port every day, we just went to bed early and read for a while. It was our best cruise ever, btw!  It was Athens to Venice and the ports were beyond amazing. Kotor was what prompted me wanting to see fjords. Our favorite ship the RC’s Oasis of the Seas. It was beautiful and had so many things for us to enjoy. However, I can’t recall any of the ports we went to on that trip. 

8 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I will check this out. Thanks. 

5 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Post Viking Promos

Since it can be removed even after final payment (as long as it hasn't been ticketed been ticketed), I always book Viking Air. I booked my own flights on our last cruise because I saved 50% over what Viking was charging (for business class) but booked with Viking Air for our upcoming adventure. Over time, I think it has been 50/50. Each adventure is a different set of facts and a different decision.

That’s a good idea. 

Read the sticky at the top of this forum on "referrals." We can tell you about referrals but we can't offer them to you nor can you ask us to provide them. It is a Viking policy.

Oops, your friend can be your referral. Ask her for her guest number. She may have to call Viking to get it. It is different from a booking number.

Will do. She may be going with us if we do this. 

My data says that Viking prices are going up. A few months ago, I posted some numbers and if I had that piece of paper I would share what I posted then (because heavens knows which thread I was responding to).  But I can say that in April, 2023 I booked Hong Kong to Tokyo for May, 2025; the brochure price for my DV6 cabin has gone up $1700pp (and is sold out). December, 2023 I booked Malta/Med/Morocco and the brochure price for my DV6 cabin is up by $500pp (in 8 months). And the pricier cabins have had even bigger price jumps.

@Clay Clayton i am going to disagree with you big-time on this one. Your experience was two years ago, as we were coming out of Covid. I really think that things have changed since then. Prices have definitely increased across the board and right now, I think that if price is the real incentive then booking early may be the way to go, because we don't  know when the increase in prices is going to slow down (much less result in price drops).

If your friend already has a Viking booking for a future cruise when she goes to book, then she can ask for final payment six month prior to sailing. She would not have to make her final payment until early 2026. AND, when you book, try to get Viking to move it closer (12 months is the best you can hope for and don't make your deposit until you agree with the final payment date; making the deposit says you agree to the terms and condition as stated on the guest statement and Viking won't make changes once you have agreed.

I will let her know, but final payment isn’t an issue for her. She’s retired and pays for her vacations out of her inheritance. (She’s a few years older than us) Ours are paid for with my husband’s annual bonus. 

Finally, ditto to everything that @CurlerRob said -- read more about smaller ship cruising and particular about Viking (which is not a party ship, attracts older folks, because that is who Viking has been marketing to for the past 25 years, is port intensive, has a quieter on-board experience (no art auctions, no yards of gold, photographers; see the first few pages of https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2381846-tell-me-why/)

I’m aware it would quite a different experience. We would love the kid-free experience. Nothing against kids, but as a teacher a vacation away from children would be a treat. We don’t do the art auctions, deck parties (stopped going to those about 10 years ago!) and such. I do enjoy the major theater productions, comedians (which Celebrity and NCL don’t have), live music in the bars and the silent disco. I realize I won’t be getting the same experience with Viking. We would be doing it for the ports. We would be close to 60 at the time of this cruise, so not young and our children are grown. 

PLUS one addition to his advice -- stay more time in Iceland, if you can swing it -- even if just one night to "The Golden Circle."  GrayLine tours will meet you and your luggage as you disembark and drop you at or near your hotel at the end of the tour.

We always fly in a couple days early just in case of delays or canceled flights and staying after a day or two is also probable when so far from home. 

8 hours ago, May B said:

As long as you don’t mind arriving the day of embarkation and having no control over the flights or routing.  You can pay for a deviation to change the flight dates and pay again for Air+ to have some (but not guaranteed) control over your flight routing. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

As long as you don’t mind arriving the day of embarkation and having no control over the flights or routing.  You can pay for a deviation to change the flight dates and pay again for Air+ to have some (but not guaranteed) control over your flight routing. 

What is their deviation fee?  You would think they would allow a couple days on either end for free. 

A couple of things

Your friend doesn’t have to be on your same cruise to refer you and you get the discount-she just has to have sailed with Viking previously. 

If Oasis is your favorite ship, Viking may not be a match for you.  It has less than a 1/5 of the number of passengers and with that comes less entertainment, venues, activities.   We LOVE Viking for what it is (passenger crew ratio, mostly inclusive, not glitzy) and isn’t ) -no kids and no casino being the two biggies) but if you found Pearl too small and not engaging then you might want to watch some YouTubes. Gary Bembridge (among others) does a great job of describing Viking and what impact your cruising style has on your enjoyment of the line. 

While I don’t disagree that prices have gone up since COVID, we have still been able to book under promos (World Cruise, currently looking at an October 24 expedition) where savings are about 50% over initial rates.  But as I noted, if you can’t be flexible with when you go and need a particular itinerary on a particular date, then I would book as early as possible.  With the example I gave of last summer, we booked a year early as it was a birthday cruise and we wanted to be sure it did t sell out.  If we had waited, it would have been over a $1000 cheaper per person. 

9 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

What is their deviation fee?  You would think they would allow a couple days on either end for free. 

You would think but no.  I believe it’s $100 pp but I can’t recall as it used to be $50.  It allows deviation at both ends and often will allow you to deviate your airports.  For example we disembarked a transatlantic in Barcelona and 10 days later flew home from Rome and our flights were “free” except for the deviation fee. You will need to talk with Viking to see if for example you could pay the deviation, fly into London for a few days, get yourself to Bergen, and then fly home from there (likely through London)

11 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Here is some information about Paris museums that might interest you. Not all are closed on the same day so be sure to check operating hours and have a backup plan.

The state run art museums in Pais have their collections separated by period. The Louvre contains pre mid 18th century art.

Impressionism and post Impressionism is at the Musée d’Orsay, a converted 18th century train station. It is an absolutely fabulous venue that is my favorite museum in Paris. 

Modern art is at the Pompidou Center. 

There are also many private museums that are well worth your time.

If sculpture interests you, the one place to visit is the Musée Rodin, which houses his famous works in his former mansion. You’ll find the “Thinker” in the garden.

Musée Marmottan Monet contains the largest Monet collection in the world, including the work that gave name to Impressionism, “Impression Sunrise.” 

Musée de l'Orangerie was specifically built to house Monet’s oversized paintings of his lilly ponds. It’s well worth a visit. 

Musée National Picasso contains a vast collection of Picasso works covering his entire life and is housed in a historic 17th century mansion built by the Royal salt tax collector.

IMO the Louvre is one of those places that is a bucket list item for tourists. The room containing the Mona Lisa is packed and the painting is relatively small. It’s not the experience most people expect.
image.thumb.jpeg.6306ce2fe973921c42616f025976045c.jpeg

Consider the d’Orsay instead.

IMG_5889.thumb.jpeg.18dc2be19aa690a4c9a29eef7f4678b6.jpeg

IMG_5882.thumb.jpeg.6cddcc00636db2732a0c3c85a45b6197.jpeg

IMG_5884.thumb.jpeg.9c69a24cef44cca90b2d5ebb32b3572b.jpeg

IMG_5871.thumb.jpeg.9b5ee17ad433d90291362b6940097584.jpeg

IMG_5886.thumb.jpeg.e35c7874f125ab986a74d5f0516430f2.jpeg

IMG_5872.thumb.jpeg.4ec90f15281c88d69ebc3c9fde6d1f32.jpeg

IMG_5873.thumb.jpeg.afd128e0bbdb767726bee06f220a176d.jpeg

Wow!  Thank you for all this information and I do find a couple of those paintings quite interesting. However, our stay in Paris will be brief so we will only have time for one museum so it must be the Louvre. 

8 hours ago, marazul said:

I love the Orsay and visit it every time I go to Paris. It's a magnificent collection.  There is really no need for a guide. Same for the Orangerie which is quite small and it requires no explanation. 

A first time visitor should definitely visit the Louvre even if it is just scratching the surface.  And add the Orsay if at all possible.

If those paintings above are from the Orsay, we would probably like it. But we will only stay 2-3 days and there are other places I’d rather spend my time. 

12 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

A couple of things

Your friend doesn’t have to be on your same cruise to refer you and you get the discount-she just has to have sailed with Viking previously. 

I understand this. I was just mentioning that she may be joining us. She was with us on the Mediterranean cruise we just did too, as was another couple we hang out with. 

If Oasis is your favorite ship, Viking may not be a match for you.  It has less than a 1/5 of the number of passengers and with that comes less entertainment, venues, activities.   We LOVE Viking for what it is (passenger crew ratio, mostly inclusive, not glitzy) and isn’t ) -no kids and no casino being the two biggies) but if you found Pearl too small and not engaging then you might want to watch some YouTubes. Gary Bembridge (among others) does a great job of describing Viking and what impact your cruising style has on your enjoyment of the line. 

I’m aware of the vast differences and what Viking will be. At least for the most part. No kids and no casino would be a big plus. I hope that means no smoking as well. While I was disappointed with the lack of entertainment on the Pearl, I expected more with it being an NCL ship. When we were on one of their larger ships, their entertainment was good. That was several years ago too. Quite frankly, we were exhausted from our daily excursions and the average of 18,000 steps a day in the heat in the Mediterranean on the Pearl. Going to bed early wasn’t a problem and reading was a nice, relaxing way to end our days. 

While I don’t disagree that prices have gone up since COVID, we have still been able to book under promos (World Cruise, currently looking at an October 24 expedition) where savings are about 50% over initial rates.  But as I noted, if you can’t be flexible with when you go and need a particular itinerary on a particular date, then I would book as early as possible.  With the example I gave of last summer, we booked a year early as it was a birthday cruise and we wanted to be sure it did t sell out.  If we had waited, it would have been over a $1000 cheaper per person. 

I’m flexible to an extent. I’m a teacher so it would need to be mid June-early August. 

9 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

You would think but no.  I believe it’s $100 pp but I can’t recall as it used to be $50.  It allows deviation at both ends and often will allow you to deviate your airports.  For example we disembarked a transatlantic in Barcelona and 10 days later flew home from Rome and our flights were “free” except for the deviation fee. You will need to talk with Viking to see if for example you could pay the deviation, fly into London for a few days, get yourself to Bergen, and then fly home from there (likely through London)

Allowing deviation of airports would be awesome, especially if we did the Norway/Iceland cruise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

You will need to talk with Viking to see if for example you could pay the deviation, fly into London for a few days, get yourself to Bergen, and then fly home from there (likely through London)

There are no direct flights to Bergen from the US. Therefore, it is very easy to do a "stopover" in London as part of your Viking flight itinerary for any cruise leaving out of Bergen that does not already include London. Just be aware that under Viking's contracts with the airlines there may be additional fare from the airline for certain changes to your itinerary -- in addition to Viking's deviation fee.

Also note that Viking does transfer for guests only for flights landing at the airport on embarkation day and for flights departing the airport on disembarkation day (unless your are doing a Viking pre- or post-cruise extension in which case they are included). If you deviate your arrival or departure, you have to arrange your own transfers.

Also, note that if you do your own air arrangements and have flights landing and/or departing on days that Viking is doing transfers, you may buy transfers from Viking.

Yes, Viking is very quirky and the learning curve is steep. Viking is not a member of CLIA and is not bound by their rules. Viking does things their way, which takes some getting used to.

If you choose, Midnight Sun, consider adding days in both London and Bergen/Oslo.

3 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I hope that means no smoking as well.

There is a small smoking open air area on Deck 8. Otherwise, the rest of the ship including the balconies is non-smoking.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Also, note that if you do your own air arrangements and have flights landing and/or departing on days that Viking is doing transfers, you may buy transfers from Viking.

Also note if you book a Viking extension, transportation to/from the airport is included even if you book your own air, as long as it is the same day.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

There are no direct flights to Bergen from the US. Therefore, it is very easy to do a "stopover" in London as part of your Viking flight itinerary for any cruise leaving out of Bergen that does not already include London. Just be aware that under Viking's contracts with the airlines there may be additional fare from the airline for certain changes to your itinerary -- in addition to Viking's deviation fee.

Also note that Viking does transfer for guests only for flights landing at the airport on embarkation day and for flights departing the airport on disembarkation day (unless your are doing a Viking pre- or post-cruise extension in which case they are included). If you deviate your arrival or departure, you have to arrange your own transfers.

Yes, Viking is very quirky and the learning curve is steep. Viking is not a member of CLIA and is not bound by their rules. Viking does things their way, which takes some getting used to.

If you choose, Midnight Sun, consider adding days in both London and Bergen/Oslo.

There is a small smoking open air area on Deck 8. Otherwise, the rest of the ship including the balconies is non-smoking.

Adding London would make sense since we can get direct flights home from there. 

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Also note if you book a Viking extension, transportation to/from the airport is included even if you book your own air, as long as it is the same day.

convenient 

• Like 1

Just a note here.  If you want to see fjords, both South America and New Zealand have fjord sailings on their cruises.  

As others have said, Viking has its own set of rules and once you figure them out, you can make them work for you.  If you go with Viking Air, you can buy a deviation.  That means you can adjust when you fly in or out up to 40 days on either end.  It also means that you do not have to fly out of the airport the cruise ends in.  For instance, we did the Grand European River cruise with a deviation.  We flew into Amsterdam 4 days early.  The cruise normally ends in Budapest, but we booked our flight home out of Prague instead.  We spent 4 days in Budapest after getting off the ship, and another 5 in Prague.  We had to get to Prague on our own dime, but it allowed us to extend our river cruise to see a new city.  
We are going to a wedding in Ireland next month, then going to Bordeaux for a river cruise.  We could have taken advantage of Viking’s Air to fly into London (they do not offer air to Dublin) and out of Bordeaux.  So they are not wedded to booking you into whatever city the cruise leaves from. The only caveat for doing this is that you need to book your own ground transport unless you are going directly from the ship to the airport (or taking one of their extensions).  

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Adding London would make sense since we can get direct flights home from there. 

If you decide on London spend at least 4 nights there. So much to do and see and very easy to get around on the tube.

For tours, we recommend London Walks. We’ve used them many times and their guides are fantastic. For most tours you need no reservations, just show up at the designated meeting spot. They also have day tours to Stonehenge, Cambridge,  etc. If you are planning a trip in June, be aware that it’s the King’s birthday and the Trooping of the Colours will be held one weekend. It’s a sight to behold. Be sure to check dates.

The last week in May is the Chelsea Flower Show, the largest in the world. We’ve attended twice and it’s pretty incredible.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

If you decide on London spend at least 4 nights there. So much to do and see and very easy to get around on the tube.

For tours, we recommend London Walks. We’ve used them many times and their guides are fantastic. For most tours you need no reservations, just show up at the designated meeting spot. They also have day tours to Stonehenge, Cambridge,  etc. If you are planning a trip in June, be aware that it’s the King’s birthday and the Trooping of the Colours will be held one weekend. It’s a sight to behold. Be sure to check dates.

The last week in May is the Chelsea Flower Show, the largest in the world. We’ve attended twice and it’s pretty incredible.

Even though someone suggested the Iceland/Norway cruise, we really prefer the Under the Midnight Sun ports. That would give us two days in London, in addition to possibly a couple pre or post cruise. 

• Like 1