Couple questions about Viking

On the cruises we’re looking at, one of the ports is Geirangerfjord. I’d read about a new policy banning most ships from here beginning in 2026.  Will Viking still be able to go there?  

I’m 57, dh is 60 and we’re very active. Are we too young to enjoy Viking?  Sitting on tour busses isn’t our idea of a good excursion. We enjoy our feet on the ground, walking around and exploring. We just got home from 3 weeks in Europe where we averaged about 18,000 steps a day and loved every minute of it!  

The ports look amazing!

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

On the cruises we’re looking at, one of the ports is Geirangerfjord. I’d read about a new policy banning most ships from here beginning in 2026.  Will Viking still be able to go there?  

Viking has a new class of ship coming online. It has a hybrid hydrogen propulsion system to use in ecologically sensitive areas. They have also increased the beam so the stateroom will have more sq. footage 

The Viking owner is Norwegian and one of the richest families in Norway, and the ships are Norwegian flagged. If anything they have the inside track on being allowed to cruise there.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/10/viking-on-course-to-hydrogen-fuel-cells/

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 4

We went on the Midnight Sun cruise in 2022 and will do the same cruise again next year. Norway is great for walking. When I went two years ago, my daughter accompanied me and we did the optional hike excursions offered in most ports. Or you can do your own thing as long as you get back to the ship with plenty of time. My daughter was 38 then and was among the youngest, but I went in February with a friend on a Viking Mediterranean cruise, and we noted that there were many more younger people (40s, early 50s) than even a year prior when we cruised . I think a lot of people are discovering the Viking vibe and love it. There will definitely be people younger than y’all. And you will find at least one hike excursion in most ports on that cruise. And as I mentioned, you can make your own arrangements. Just don’t get back late or they will leave you😬.

Two thoughts:

1.Wait until you want to pay in full (like 6 months), and look at what's available at that point in time (promos, cabins open, etc.) - then it's like paying at 6 months.

2. Not sure if this works, but here's an idea -  Go ahead and book a "dummy" cruise in 2026 that you only have to put $25 pp deposit on.    Now you have a cruise on the books.  Then wait a day or two or more, and book the cruise you do want and get the 6 month final payment deal.  Later, cancel the "dummy" cruise.  So all it cost you was $50 more for the cruise you wanted.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Two thoughts:

1.Wait until you want to pay in full (like 6 months), and look at what's available at that point in time (promos, cabins open, etc.) - then it's like paying at 6 months.

2. Not sure if this works, but here's an idea -  Go ahead and book a "dummy" cruise in 2026 that you only have to put $25 pp deposit on.    Now you have a cruise on the books.  Then wait a day or two or more, and book the cruise you do want and get the 6 month final payment deal.  Later, cancel the "dummy" cruise.  So all it cost you was $50 more for the cruise you wanted.

The whole thing kind of annoyed dh. I mean usually it’s like 90 days or so. And by then we will already have a 2026 cruise booked. 

53 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

The whole thing kind of annoyed dh. I mean usually it’s like 90 days or so. And by then we will already have a 2026 cruise booked. 

Too bad. We just booked our first cruise on Viking and weren't put off at all with the early FP. Too many great reviews that make it worth it.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Viking is not like other cruise lines.  They don’t play by the same rules, but many of us are ok with that and just roll with it.  We usually have another cruise booked (we have 4 booked now), so pay 6 months out.
What I CAN tell you is that I tried booking a cruise less than 3 months out for our first cruise.  Back in 2018, the only cruise that wasn’t sold out was a trans Atlantic.  Things have gotten a lot tighter since then.  

Edited by Mich3554
  • Like 2

Yep, paying early didn't bother us. Although, as I've mentioned before, our due date wasn't a full year out either. I still have no idea how it was calculated. We booked in January 2023, the cruise was for April/May 2024. But our paid in full date was June 2023, so like 10 months before. Again, it didn't bother us though. I like having everything paid off early so we're ready to go when it's time without paying then. I know people are different though.

16 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

Viking is not like other cruise lines.  They don’t play by the same rules, but many of us are ok with that and just roll with it.  We usually have another cruise booked (we have 4 booked now), so pay 6 months out.
What I CAN tell you is that I tried booking a cruise less than 3 months out for our first cruise.  Back in 2018, the only cruise that wasn’t sold out was a trans Atlantic.  Things have gotten a lot tighter since then.  

Maybe once we retire we would be more likely to pay that far in advance.  At this time we aren't and we can only do 1 big trip a year.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Tami, I see that you have made up your mind; you have to do what is right for you. I told you Viking was quirky.😉 There are other cruise lines that do similar cruises that may be a better fit for you.

Here is a link to the Geiranger Cruise Port website and a list of all the ships calling there in 2024. At least it is a starting point. https://www.stranda-hamnevesen.no/cruise-calls/  If the ban does take effect, keep in mind the advice given in post #5.

Here is a not very good picture of the MSC Euribia docked in Flam taken a the end of May (from our hotel window). A good place to hike and bike (you can see the rental bikes lined up right above the white picket fence).

00-Ql6biy-mZ87rWVfOSHXTCdySImIvB1QE_lBES

Edited by Peregrina651

12 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Tami, I see that you have made up your mind; you have to do what is right for you. I told you Viking was quirky.😉 There are other cruise lines that do similar cruises that may be a better fit for you.

Here is a link to the Geiranger Cruise Port website and a list of all the ships calling there in 2024. At least it is a starting point. https://www.stranda-hamnevesen.no/cruise-calls/  If the ban does take effect, keep in mind the advice given in post #5.

Here is a not very good picture of the MSC Euribia docked in Flam taken a the end of May (from our hotel window). A good place to hike and bike (you can see the rental bikes lined up right above the white picket fence).

00-Ql6biy-mZ87rWVfOSHXTCdySImIvB1QE_lBES

We love MSC's yacht club and will be sailing with them our of Barcelona next summer.  We just booked an Alaska cruisetour with Princess for 2026.  Maybe we will revisit Norway at another time.

On 7/25/2024 at 5:58 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We love MSC's yacht club and will be sailing with them our of Barcelona next summer.  We just booked an Alaska cruisetour with Princess for 2026.  Maybe we will revisit Norway at another time.

I wish you best of cruising!  You have the best thing of all - lots of time in your future!  Take it, appreciate it, enjoy it, and let life flow!

• Like 1