QM2 Pool in Cooler Months

napria

Posted (edited)

I believe the pool on QM2 is heated, correct?  I know it’s fairly small, but would it be feasible for me to exercise in late September the pool while the ship sails in Canadian waters? Or would it be too cold? Should I pack my swimsuit?  I am a synchronized swimmer (my team was formed years ago and we don’t call ourselves Artistic Swimmers… we’re all over 60 years old 😁) and I’d like to keep up with my training, but not a big deal to lose a week.

Edited by napria
Clarification

2 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

The indoor pool would be absolutely fine. The others may be a bit more challenging, but mainly for having to get out afterwards!

Do you think it would be ok to swim “laps” in the morning?  Or would there be other guests who would be enjoying floating around, and trying to swim to and fro would disrupt them?

Posted (edited)

In terms of them being crowded, you'd probably be fine. I've never had more than one other person in there when I've been swimming.

However, you may find they're too small to do any serious exercise.

Edited by Clewgarnet
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, napria said:

Do you think it would be ok to swim “laps” in the morning?  Or would there be other guests who would be enjoying floating around, and trying to swim to and fro would disrupt them?

I can't speak to QM2, but on QV earlier this year, early in the morning (think 6-8AM) the pool was relatively quiet, so more 'serious' swimming was feasible (as opposed to floating around). 

However, as mentioned below, the pools are very short (much shorter than it looks from the photos), so swimming laps was quite difficult - more time spent turning than swimming. 

I saw one brilliant individual with a leash - one end around their waist, the other end around something on the edge of the pool - so they were able to swim 'in place'. I'm planning to find one before my next cruise to try out. 

Posted (edited)

All the pools are heated to 28c to 30c. The Pavilion Pool (Deck 12) will feel a lot warmer since it will almost certainly be enclosed on that trip unless there is a heat wave, so the air above the pool will be ambient. But the longest pool, also heated, is the outdoor Terrace pool on deck 8, which is 8.5 metres long, a metre longer than Pavilion, and slightly wider. It will typically feel a lot colder since your head will be feeling the outside air temperature.

The pools are open from 7 am. If the weather isn't good then there is a good chance that Terrace will have no other users until mid morning. If the weather really is poor (winds, heavy waves) then they close off the Terrace pool fairly readily, but that's unusual for Pavilion, I've only seen Pavilion closed once.

Edited by Pushpit

Thank you for the pictures and insight!  I’m not TA, just Quebec to NY.  But I’m thinking about getting in and exercising each morning.  I can swim laps and/or practice some “figures” which strengthen my core.  I’ll pack my swimsuit and swim cap and hope for the best.

There were a few hardy souls making use of the Terrace Pool on our cold and wet northern TA in June. A few of them alternated between the hot tubs and the pool, doing exercises in both. The pool water was not cold, but the wind sure was! I imagine that would be your biggest challenge. 

• Thanks 1