Do I need to cancel?

I have a non-refundable deposit. Can I just miss the final payment (with the loss of deposit) or do I need to physically cancel the booking? I am assuming there are no further cancellation fees for just letting the booking lapse. Is this correct?

I tried to cancel a few weeks ago. I booked direct with NCL in USA. My original agent left NCL, and when I tried to cancel I was told I need to speak to the original agent, which obviously I couldn't.

Eventually I did get a call from another agent who said he was taking over as my cruise consultant.  He offered to transfer the deposit to another cruise, but I told him I didn't think anything next year was suitable.

He said he was sure he could find something and would call me back before final payment was due.

Well here we are a few weeks later and 3 days from final payment date, and no contact. I don't feel like chasing around, as I cannot see anything I want to book next year with NCL. Hence my question.

1 hour ago, Trevor Fountain said:

I tried to cancel a few weeks ago. I booked direct with NCL in USA. My original agent left NCL, and when I tried to cancel I was told I need to speak to the original agent, which obviously I couldn't.

I don't understand this part, In the UK we can't cancel without loosing our deposit but you say you booked on the USA site? My understanding is that in the USA you can cancel without penalty any time before final payment?
I understand many in the US book multiple cruises and just cancel those they are not interested in.

Just now, ziggyuk said:

I don't understand this part, In the UK we can't cancel without loosing our deposit but you say you booked on the USA site? My understanding is that in the USA you can cancel without penalty any time before final payment?
I understand many in the US book multiple cruises and just cancel those they are not interested in.

I didn't actually book on the website. I was signed in and browsing, and next thing you know I get a phone call whilst I am still on the site from a PCC in the US. I booked a cruise direct with her.

They must be able to tell when you are browsing on the site, because a couple of days later whilst browsing again, she rang me and asked if there was anything else she could help with.

Even though booking direct in the US, my terms and conditions, sent with my booking confirmation is UK, and abta bonded.

3 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

I didn't actually book on the website. I was signed in and browsing, and next thing you know I get a phone call whilst I am still on the site from a PCC in the US. I booked a cruise direct with her.

They must be able to tell when you are browsing on the site, because a couple of days later whilst browsing again, she rang me and asked if there was anything else she could help with.

Even though booking direct in the US, my terms and conditions, sent with my booking confirmation is UK, and abta bonded.

Ah OK that makes sense.

1 minute ago, DorothyB said:

I'm in the US and didn't know that non-refundable deposits were a thing here! 

It depends under what conditions you book. I'm in EU but my PCC has told me he can book me under US terms if I want to. (I don't...) So I'm assuming that a US PCC can book you under other than US terms as well. The default probably is your place of residence. And with OP being in UK as I understand the booking would be at UK terms. UK/EU have non-refundable deposits.