Carnival Mastercard thoughts

15 minutes ago, squierjosh said:

OP here. I got the card. Just need to figure out how to use it and transfer the funpoints to my Carnival account when it's time. 

We just got ours too, yesterday. And planning the same thing, use it for regular things like groceries and gas until we get the 250 OBC for our Sept cruise . The will probably go back to using our Chase card. Can't really see a downside?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, squierjosh said:

Haha...Well I'm not going to use it for anything but buying the last few AARP gift cards I need for my upcoming cruise. Just enough to quality for the $250 on board credit. Then pay off and cancel the card. 

The key thing is OBC.  Sure we all can justify it as cash...but in the end you have to buy a cruise to use it...and then use it to buy stuff that is 2-3 times more expensive than on land.  Sure many will say they use it for gratuities, but in their mind that frees other "cash" to buy stuff on the ship that is 2-3 times the price vs on land.  Again, just realize they are not doing anybody any favors.  They want you in the maze...and they got you.

You basically get 1% cash back that can only be spent with Carnival, plus 10% off excursions. I still have mine but for my everyday card I use Discover. The 3% cash back is actual cash back and you can use it for anything,

I have had this card for years. I save my points until I have enough for $300 or $400 in OBC. I just discovered the 0% int. for 6 months on Carnival cruise purchases. I rarely purchase excursions through Carnival, so I don't really use that perk. I buy Carnival gift cards at Kroger when they have 4x fuel points and pay with my Carnival MC and earn points on my purchase. Win Win!

23 hours ago, squierjosh said:

OP here. I got the card. Just need to figure out how to use it and transfer the funpoints to my Carnival account when it's time. 

I have said this before and I'll mention it again - you don't have to use it for OBC.  You can redeem points for a statement credit, on any eligible travel purchase.  It doesn't have to be a Carnival transaction, either.  

If you redeem it on an eligible purchase $1500 or more, it's 1.5x value for the statement credit, so better value to do it that way.  I really recommend this more than transferring to OBC.

• Like 5

On 7/30/2024 at 4:13 PM, n6uqqq said:

From your recent trip report it appears the Carnival slots are tighter than a drum. Good luck! 

Haha; well, they’re definitely set with a higher hold than Nevada. (Penny slots should be around 10%, but it seems they’re closer to 15-17%.

There are likely cards out there with better rewards, but I just spent my points to pay off my cruise for the second time. Acts as a nice little savings account for cruises.

I also have a Delta Amex, so flying first class free to my free cruise.

• Like 1