Refundable vs Non-Refundable Rates

Looking to book a last minute cruise for my family leaving September 2024.

I am trying to understand how the refundable rates work.   Am I reading this correctly that they are generally only proportionally refundable and generally not at all about a month prior to departure?

It's so much cheaper to book the non-refundable rates (of course) but after being burned for our Italian honeymoon in March 2020, I am jaded to book something without some reassurance but this might not give it 8 weeks prior to sail?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Final payment on 7 day cruises as a for instance are 90 days before the cruise leaves. A cruise next month will not be refundable. Sorry. I agree cruiselines have awful rules, but except for insurance coverage, you cant buy a refundable rate cruise for next month. 

There is a sliding scale where depending on the date you might not lose all you paid. Depends on the length of your cruise.

But a cruise sept 2024, just plan on it being nonrefundable. Dont book if you arent sure you want to go.

Not sure what happened to you march 2020. If the cruise was cancelled you should have gotten a refund or a offer for a future cruise. Maybe a choice.  I didnt lose any money and you shouldnt have either. Standard cancellation terms apply to sept 2024. Dont book if you arent sure.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Final payment on 7 day cruises as a for instance are 90 days before the cruise leaves. A cruise next month will not be refundable. Sorry. I agree cruiselines have awful rules, but except for insurance coverage, you cant buy a refundable rate cruise for next month. 

This is exactly what I needed to hear as far as answers go!

I guess we can book the non-refundable and still be ahead if we book the insurance and need to cancel for illness.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

With bookings made post final payment the full fare typically is due within a few days of the booking. Post final payment fares are also non-refundable. With any cancelation post final payment, the fare penalties affect the full payment made and are scaled by when the cancelation is made. Based on this and when the cancelation is made, you can loose some or all of your full fare paid.

You need to confirm your insurance coverage and any exclusions or limits of coverage with late bookings.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Posted (edited)

@Abr2026, my understanding is refundable and non refundable fares refer to the DEPOSIT. I believe Royal and Celebrity refundable total cruise fares are higher than the non refundable deposit cruise fare, but the deposit amount is the same for both unless if booking a suite? The key is if you book refundable fare, you can cancel before final payment date and receive full refund of your deposit. 

Since you are looking at a sailing past final payment date, you are required to pay in full and are already in cancellation fees windows. I do not believe you will be offered a refundable fare option after final payment date. 

If you cancel, you are subject to the cancellation fee schedule, so yes, you can possibly get some of the fare ‘refunded/returned’.

Edited by wallyj

13 hours ago, Abr2026 said:

Looking to book a last minute cruise for my family leaving September 2024.

I am trying to understand how the refundable rates work.   Am I reading this correctly that they are generally only proportionally refundable and generally not at all about a month prior to departure?

It's so much cheaper to book the non-refundable rates (of course) but after being burned for our Italian honeymoon in March 2020, I am jaded to book something without some reassurance but this might not give it 8 weeks prior to sail?

Thanks!

Refundable/non refundable refers to the Deposit. So there is flexibility before final payment date. For a cruise this September you will already be into full and final payment date.  The chances of them pulling a cruise 2 months out is virtually nil. 
Get insurance. 

3 hours ago, wallyj said:

@Abr2026, my understanding is refundable and non refundable fares refer to the DEPOSIT. I believe Royal and Celebrity refundable total cruise fares are higher than the non refundable deposit cruise fare, but the deposit amount is the same for both unless if booking a suite? The key is if you book refundable fare, you can cancel before final payment date and receive full refund of your deposit. 

Since you are looking at a sailing past final payment date, you are required to pay in full and are already in cancellation fees windows. I do not believe you will be offered a refundable fare option after final payment date. 

If you cancel, you are subject to the cancellation fee schedule, so yes, you can possibly get some of the fare ‘refunded/returned’.

I would add this is why some of us keep posting find a TA with group rates which are less and have refundable deposits. All of my cruises are booked refundable rates and less than booking nonrefundable rates direct. 

I do pay a deposit for 2 people though even though I'm solo. So my deposits are double what I'd pay booking regular.