Wine Lunch

17 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Happy:  

Actually--our Wine Dinner event was on Navigator. June, 2023.  

Montreal to NYC. Second leg of a B/t/B. Our seating was in the Card Room with 10-12 others.   "Oversubscribed", so they set up another location "next door" for about the same number of guests.  

Received good reviews.  

This was fairly new for Regent, at that time.  Believe second occasion for a special Wine Dinner on any Regent ship, and a first for Navigator.  

Have not been back on Navigator since.  

Suggest you inquire through your TA--or directly w/Regent as to possibility of this being offered on your segment.  If no definitive answer (and, I would not expect one before you board), ask the Sommelier or Matre'd. during your first day aboard, as suggested above.

My-oh-my.  Has the price escalated!  Or, as the old SNL "Weekend Update" Commentators opined--"Really!  Really?.  Total for the two of us was around $425.00. 

Supply and demand, again.  If Regent can fill the space, it will charge the freight.     

GOARMY!

Thanks again. The price does seem OTT, but for us in comes down to the wine service.  We just experienced our first Regent cruise and they hooked us with their service.

• Like 1

katykrol:

As to a wine tasting opportunity as differentiated from Wine Lunch--

No change in our experience over the past several years on various Regent ships.  But, of course anecdotal, as we do not live on Regent ships.  

The standard on Explorer, Mariner, Navigator, and Splendor has been to offer a "World of Wines" tasting at 10:00am on the first sea day.  Venue has been Atrium.  It can get a bit crowded.  

Some segments have few sea days; or, if there are any, they may be near the end of that cruise. No point in having a tasting because the point is to acquaint new guests as to the included wines available during that segment. 

Example:  Recent B/t/B June-July '24 aboard Splendor.  First segment:  first sea day, which was the second day onboard had the World of Wines; second July 5-15 segment around Iceland had only one sea day, which was on the penultimate day of that cruise.  No World of Wines.   

GOARMY!

On Explorer in Alaska in May as usual at 10 a.m. on first sea day.

Did not have one on Splendor in the Med in October because no Sea Days!

Boarding Navigator tomorrow and next day is Sea Day, so stay tuned...

(I think they are usually called Tastings of Old World and New World)

• Like 1

Thank you! We had a few sea days at the beginning of the cruise. It was just weird when I asked guest services they sent me to the shore excursion desk (!). Well, no biggie, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t crazy.  I’ll be back on board next year so hopefully we will have another chance! 

On 8/4/2024 at 3:39 PM, GOARMY said:

katykrol:

As to a wine tasting opportunity as differentiated from Wine Lunch--

No change in our experience over the past several years on various Regent ships.  But, of course anecdotal, as we do not live on Regent ships.  

The standard on Explorer, Mariner, Navigator, and Splendor has been to offer a "World of Wines" tasting at 10:00am on the first sea day.  Venue has been Atrium.  It can get a bit crowded.  

Some segments have few sea days; or, if there are any, they may be near the end of that cruise. No point in having a tasting because the point is to acquaint new guests as to the included wines available during that segment. 

Example:  Recent B/t/B June-July '24 aboard Splendor.  First segment:  first sea day, which was the second day onboard had the World of Wines; second July 5-15 segment around Iceland had only one sea day, which was on the penultimate day of that cruise.  No World of Wines.   

GOARMY!

Wine tasting at 10 am!!!!

Spend the rest of the sea day sleeping. 🤣

• Like 1

We missed the wine tasting in the atrium on our first Regent cruise. The notice is not in the chronological listing in the daily program but rather with an “advertisement” off to the side. We were wiser the second time. 🍷

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Report back from Navigator.

Head somm Allan had the wine tasting on the schedule for 10:45 yesterday in Coffee Connection. No mention in Passages, not even a picture "ad". He said the Passages person forgot to include it. Loud mouth that I am, I posted on FB about an hour before when I ran into him setting up.

Nice selection of wines, 5 or 6 each of whites and reds. Favorite seemed to be the South African Pinotage. Our table of 8 all requested it for dinner last night!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Report back from Navigator.

Head somm Allan had the wine tasting on the schedule for 10:45 yesterday in Coffee Connection. No mention in Passages, not even a picture "ad". He said the Passages person forgot to include it. Loud mouth that I am, I posted on FB about an hour before when I ran into him setting up.

Nice selection of wines, 5 or 6 each of whites and reds. Favorite seemed to be the South African Pinotage. Our table of 8 all requested it for dinner last night!

So it looks like , if we want to know about the wine tasting, we should find the head sommelier the first night and check with him/her? (Will he/she most likely be in Compass Rose or elsewhere that night?)

4 hours ago, chamima said:

So it looks like , if we want to know about the wine tasting, we should find the head sommelier the first night and check with him/her? (Will he/she most likely be in Compass Rose or elsewhere that night?)

I asked at dinner the night before because we were dining with a couple who were first time Regent cruisers and were interested in it. For myself I usually just rely on Passages, but that wouldn't have worked this time!

For Wine Connoisseur lunch, ask at lunch on boarding day! We are having two on this 21 day cruise. First one was sold out by dinner on boarding day. Still room in the second one at that point. I'm going to both since the menu is different for each.

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2024 at 12:56 PM, HappyTvlr said:

Thanks again. The price does seem OTT, but for us in comes down to the wine service.  We just experienced our first Regent cruise and they hooked us with their service.

Agreed, @HappyTvlr, price is not cheap by any means....but with the asset bubble out there right now, high-end wine (as an alternative asset class) has really shot up in price. I actually sold a couple of cases to fund our Grandeur cruise in December.  As long as DW allows it I'll be using my OBC on the connoisseur list wines at dinner(s) rather than on a tasting.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DaveFr said:

Here's the menu for the upcoming Wine Lunch on the current Explorer Vancouver to Seward cruise:

Join Head Sommelier Kadek for an exclusive opportunity.pdf 237.41 kB · 7 downloads

Hopefully it tastes and drinks as good as it looks. 🤞

Dave

What a great menu! Totally different than the one we did with them in May.

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

We love the wine lunches and have never heard of a wine dinner. How often do they happen? We will be on the Mariner in November.

The two onboard wine dinners that we’ve attended were both part of “Spotlight on Wine” Cruises.  The latest being the one onboard Voyager that was mentioned in the beginning of this thread.  In those dinners the wines were not from the ship’s stock, but they were brought onboard by the presenters from their winery.  There have been postings about wine dinners presented onboard by the Head Somm and the postings we’ve seen were from a World Cruise.  Don’t think they do them very often because they take over one of the restaurants.

15 hours ago, kjbacon said:

We love the wine lunches and have never heard of a wine dinner. How often do they happen? We will be on the Mariner in November.

We had them on the 2022 world cruise, but that was because the ship was very empty and they closed Prime 7 or Chartreuse on alternate nights, so they could use them for the dinners. I don’t think they would ever do them at normal occupancy because it would take away one dinner venue.

• 2 weeks later...