Question: if someone has to cancel cruise - best way to do this

Hi All,

My husband & I have two cruises on hold till Saturday (for Sept. 22 & 29).  There's the off chance he won't be able to make it - we just don't know yet. 

After final payment:

can his name be switched out & someone else substituted? 

If I decide to go solo - should I just appear at check-in & say he's a no show? 

or should his reservation be cancelled ahead once we know this is necessary?

I know there are have been other questions/threads about this topic.  I have searched but can't find them!  Appreciate some insight.

Thanks so much,

NJ  

You can change a name on the cruise until the manifest has been turned in. It is usually turned in 72 hours prior to the cruise. I thought it was 48 hours, but I tried to change someone on a cruise earlier this year due to a last minute emergency 3 days before the cruise and I was told the manifest had already been turned in. 

Once you are past final payment, I would have your spouse no show since at that point you will only be refunded port fees and taxes no matter when you cancel/no show. 

• Like 2

thanks for this info.  do you know if there is there a charge for changing a name on cruise?

so may I ask re the no show - will this be a hassle at the check in desk?  what do you say?

thanks,

NJ  

3 hours ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

thanks for this info.  do you know if there is there a charge for changing a name on cruise?

so may I ask re the no show - will this be a hassle at the check in desk?  what do you say?

thanks,

NJ  

RCI doesn't charge for name changes, but some travel agents do.

No hassle at check-in and you don't need to say anything.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

so may I ask re the no show - will this be a hassle at the check in desk?

No hassle at Check-in, but since the stateroom will be up on the check-in agent's screen, you will be asked about your traveling companion.  Letting the agent know that he is a 'no show' will be fine.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the speedy replies to my questions.  And one more!  would this mean I would get double points?

Fingers crossed things work out!  

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

would this mean I would get double points?

No, you'd have to modify the booking to solo to do that ( no-shows getting the extra solo points went away about 4.5 years ago)

Edited by Biker19

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

No, you'd have to modify the booking to solo to do that ( no-shows getting the extra solo points went away about 4.5 years ago)

And I am guessing that would mean a possible price adjustment for cruise fare?

1 minute ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Outside final payment usually no, but for you since inside final payment, likely yes.

1 hour ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Before or after final payment there should be no adjustment to the cruise fare however after final payment you would not get the double points as the money from the second guest is held in penalty where prior to final payment the money is moved to the first guest.  That means before final you are paying for 2 people and get the double points but after you are still only paying for one as the money is still assigned to guest 2 and you would not get the double points.  That being said, mistakes do happen and people have received the double points for changes after final payment but they should not have so if you went that route and made the change after final and only received single points you cannot argue it.

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Before or after final payment there should be no adjustment to the cruise fare however after final payment you would not get the double points as the money from the second guest is held in penalty where prior to final payment the money is moved to the first guest.  That means before final you are paying for 2 people and get the double points but after you are still only paying for one as the money is still assigned to guest 2 and you would not get the double points.  That being said, mistakes do happen and people have received the double points for changes after final payment but they should not have so if you went that route and made the change after final and only received single points you cannot argue it.

Yes, that makes sense.  If you're not paying the solo extra supplement - you should have no expectation of double points.  good explanation - thanks.  but like you say, it's a big system - things do happen...  😍

On my Feb Wonder cruise, my sister was a "no show." I didn't say anything when I checked in and they didn't ask.

I got double points but as others have said, I think this was a mistake.  I also didn't get reimbursed her port fees until I called a couple weeks post cruise. 

Posted (edited)

For a no show we did last January, the taxes for the person were refunded to the original form of payment while we were still on the ship.  The pre-paid gratuities for the person were refunded about 4 days after we returned home. 

Edited by royal3
change of a word