NCL Sky vs Star

I'm looking to book an itinerary for November 2025 out of Lisbon, visiting the Canary Islands and Morocco. I see this itinerary is offered on both the Sky and the Star.  I haven't sailed on either ship, but know that they're both somewhat older.  Are there significant differences between the two? I'm a fan of the Jewel class, so I don't mind older ships. While it may be a subjective question, is one ship better than the other?  Thanks!

I have sailed Star a couple of times and I'm not crazy about her. Great itineraries though...

I have not sailed Sky, but I would like to try her! When I look at deck plans Sky reminds me more of Gem than Star, and that's a good thing since I LOVE Gem! One thing Sky has and Star doesn't is an observation lounge by the looks of it. Plus for Sky if that is indeed the case!

Having said that, this is probably a port intensive cruise and on my opinion the ship matters less on those. 

The Sky is smaller and was new in 1998 or 99. The Dawn and Star are more similar to each other and were the forerunners of the Jewel class ships and were made in the early to mid 2000's. None of them have Havens, but all have suites.

Have sailed on both many years ago.  Twice on each.  The Sky has some older unique areas, but we sailed on the Sky for short itineraries.  the most memorable to Cuba from Miami.   Does the Star sill have the Spinnaker Lounge on the front of the Ship?  It was the area to hang out, and that's where a lot of afternoon stuff was   The Sky was pretty bare bones for inside areas other than eating, if I remember right.  Unless you are on a short cruise, I think the Star would be more enjoyable.   We had fun for sure on the Sky, but for 4-5 days sailings

I personally prefer the Sky.  I sailed on her last January and the crew were fantastic.  The Spinnaker Lounge at the front has fabulous views and also the Great Outdoors aft was a fantastic place for al fresco dining.  

• Like 1

I’ve sailed both Star and Sky recently. I prefer Star over Sky.

Sky has the smallest shower area compared to other NCL ships. What I dislike the most is the shower curtain on Sky instead of shower door, unless you stay in a suite. Sometimes it stinks so bad that I have to ask for replacement. Buffet room on Sky is very small so they only have very limited items. You also have to navigate carefully to avoid the smoking area. 

I also like Jewel class ships, but both Star and Sky are step down in term of quality from the Jewel class. What makes up from lack of quality is the itinerary. I sailed on both ships a few times on very nice itineraries that not normally offered on better ships. 

Buffet area on Sky is small with limited options. The buffet area on Star is almost twice as big since the room occupies both port and starboard sides.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nycteacher said:

Thank you all for your input.  I think I'm leaning toward the Star for next year's trip.  

Might want to read the recent reviews on the Star.  I gave it 2 stars for my May North Atlantic cruise, and from more recent reviews, it hasn't improved over the past couple of months...

I sailed on Star twice last year. The cabin room on Star is bigger and brighter than on Sky. 
IMG_4030.thumb.jpeg.3f8ec7ac79c286e22205b08b000f4bdb.jpeg

The bathroom area is MUCH better than on Sky. I love the walk-in shower area. It’s pretty spacious. 

IMG_4033.thumb.jpeg.106c803455ce3795750630f3f556a5fc.jpeg

The great outdoor area behind the buffet area. On Sky this area is smaller and is usually very crowded since there is not enough room in the buffet area. 
IMG_4039.thumb.jpeg.34f9965b1867517dc308bb1447d6f226.jpeg

Star also has Ginza the complimentary Asian restaurant that you find on most NCL ships. Food was surprisingly good. Sky doesn’t have complimentary Asian restaurant. 

IMG_5616.thumb.jpeg.215ee664b211e557c6724f506c6bc0fc.jpeg

The dessert options in Ginza. After the main theater show, sometimes I stopped at Ginza just for desserts before heading to bed 😋

IMG_5618.thumb.jpeg.90af73eeb40eda7d94c3c0f0737b608c.jpeg

• Like 1

I was on the Star earlier this year on one of the cursed (non)Antarctica itineraries.  I've also been on the Sky a couple times in the past two years.

There were several things I disliked about the Star.  The indoor areas were crowded, probably because it was a cold-weather route and there is no Observation Lounge.  The buffet was sometimes packed to the point that there was no place to sit.  Tendering was very, very slow.  The internet was barely operational, though it may have since been fixed.  The food and service seem to get more bad reviews than other ships.  (I didn't have any major complaints in these areas, but I could tell there was some disorganization.)  Overall, it was my least favorite of the four NCL ships I have experienced.  I might be willing to give it another chance, depending on the price and itinerary -- ideally warm weather and no tender ports.

That being said, the Star does have several nice food and beverage options that the Sky does not.  The complimentary (but often very busy) Asian restaurant, the whiskey bar, and the Brazilian steakhouse, for example.  It also has a Spice H2O.  I had four specialty dinners on the Star and all of them were perfect.

The Sky is a small ship so you tend to see the same passengers and crew a lot.  The only thing I particularly dislike is that The Local is not 24/7 like it (or O'Sheehan's) is on other NCL ships.  At breakfast/lunch it is used as overflow seating for the buffet.