Canada New England on Volendam

This is going to be an after the fact trip report for our first ever Holland America cruise out of Boston to Canada where we visited 4 new to us ports. The trip was booked only a few months before and I felt it was worth what we paid. We had an interior stateroom with a couch which was fine for us as we do not spend much time in our room. We had the drink package, wifi, and a specialty dining included in the package we booked.

I will break it down into categories to make this easier to read.

ROOM:

The bed was very comfortable, liked having the sofa so we had space to eat room service breakfast which was amazing. There was lots of storage space and our room steward did a great job. Bathroom was fine I do prefer shower doors over a curtain but no biggie. I loved that they had robes in the room.

FOOD:

We enjoyed the MDR very much. We went early every night without a reservation and service was great. I loved the salmon which I had several nights. I really enjoyed the classics menu with French onion soup and Cesar salad with anchovies YUM. My husband enjoyed the other fish dishes and the shrimp cocktail several times. In regards to deserts I had the cheese plate several times and enjoyed that. I thought they could have better dessert choices some nights but really enjoyed all of the MDR food that we had at breakfast and dinner. My husband enjoyed being able to get poached eggs as NCL has cut back on much of what they offer both in regards to food and entertainment.

BUFFET:

We ate at the buffet for embarkation day lunch, breakfasts, lunch, and late night snacks. We really liked the pre-made Asain and Cobb salads as well as the sushi. Late night snacks were a nice option as other cruises do not offer them much anymore.

DECK FOOD:

The hamburgers were so good we ate there twice. Fries were OK. The taco nacho bar was yummy too.

SPECIALITY DINING:

Pinnacle grill was very pretty and the food was delicious it did feel upscale in atmosphere and in food choices and presentation. The Morimoto by Sea popup was one of the best meals I have ever eaten with unique food options and presentation and the best service we had all trip long. They really wanted us to be happy and satisfied and were proud of what they had to offer as they should be.

ENTERTAINMENT:

We enjoyed the dance shows that utilized technology and the screen well to make the shows more interesting. There was a comedian that was entertaining as well as a port presentation about Canada that was interesting as well. We had something to see every night and after the show we could see a games how and hear music as well. We were never bored and it was a very port intensive trip. The small size of the ship was something we really enjoyed

POOLS and Hottubs:

The pool under the roof was great especially since the weather was cold and foggy. We did not go in the pools but did enjoy using a hot tub. It was nice to be able to find seats without chair hogs.

Excursions:

Were really fun we had a tour guide that played harmonica and another that sang and knew so much information about nature too. The guides made the long bus rides fun. The best excursion we took were to the waterfalls in Quebec it was beautiful and we stopped at a maplesugar house where we were given yummy samples of many different things like taffy, tea, and maple butter.

FINAL Thoughts:

We enjoyed doing arts and crafts and afternoon tea was so fun and yummy. We liked the drinks and bars in the evenings. Embarkation was smooth and rooms were ready by 11:30. Our last NCL cruise they were not ready until 3:30. Disembarking was easy too, we went to breakfast and then got off. We stayed in Montreal at the Embassy Suites for a few days and had a great time in the city. 

Video reports are coming out now on RompingRumpys youtube if you are curious. I will absolutely do Holland America again.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for your review, we will be on the Volendam in 16 days from Boston. Our first HAL cruise was on the Volendam in 2007 and this will be our second time on her.

I know there is a lot of negativity here recently about HAL but we were on the 2024 GANZ aboard the Volendam and enjoyed it immensely. We love this size ship and usually get an Oceanview room on deck 1 in the middle of the ship. Even though these trips last months the room is more than adequate and was in good shape. The crew was outstanding from the Hotel Manager all the way down to the guys vacuuming the stairways each day. 

We liked it so much we booked the 2026 GANZ on the Zaandam and the Legendary Med. next year on the Volendam. Want to enjoy these ships before they are gone.

• Like 2

Thank you for your review. We will be boarding her in less than 2 weeks for (I believe?) the same run. We’re also staying at the Embassy Suites for one night before going to the airport.

Do you have any suggestions for the balance of disembarkation day in Montreal?

20 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Thank you for your review. We will be boarding her in less than 2 weeks for (I believe?) the same run. We’re also staying at the Embassy Suites for one night before going to the airport.

Do you have any suggestions for the balance of disembarkation day in Montreal?

We are doing the same cruise as you; we are spending one night in Montreal after the cruise at the Marriott Chateau Champlain and then taking the train to Quebec City for 3 nights before we fly home. For our one day in Montreal we are doing the Hop on Hop off bus after we drop off our luggage at the hotel.

Hop-On Hop-Off Double-Decker Tour (Red Loop) | Gray Line

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We are doing the same cruise as you; we are spending one night in Montreal after the cruise at the Marriott Chateau Champlain and then taking the train to Quebec City for 3 nights before we fly home. For our one day in Montreal we are doing the Hop on Hop off bus after we drop off our luggage at the hotel.

Hop-On Hop-Off Double-Decker Tour (Red Loop) | Gray Line

We did the hop on hop off in June, Sat up top, no room below. Of course it rained the entire 2 hours. Even with umbrellas we were soaked. We stayed at that Marriott , very nice

• Thanks 1

So glad to read such a positive review of the Volendam.  I was on a b2b in June from Montreal and I did find my cruise on her excellent.  I liked that she is a smaller ship.  All but one of my cruises over the years has been with NCL and their ships are now getting too big with too many things on them that don't interest me.

I especially enjoyed the Dutch touches, the Orange Party and when they served Dutch food.  The fresh flowers throughout were so nice to see and kept beautiful.

I too have booked another cruise on her for next June. It's a repositioning, Fort Lauderdale to Montreal, and am looking forward to another excellent trip.

Take care all, happytotravel

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent cruise on the Volendam - Romping_Rumpy from Mass.  I will be on the same cruise shortly.  I, too, booked this cruise because it included 3 ports that I have not been to before.  I have been on Volendam before and like her small size.  You mentioned cold and foggy weather.  This wasn't the case the entire cruise - was it?  Hope not.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, MARLEY225 said:

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent cruise on the Volendam - Romping_Rumpy from Mass.  I will be on the same cruise shortly.  I, too, booked this cruise because it included 3 ports that I have not been to before.  I have been on Volendam before and like her small size.  You mentioned cold and foggy weather.  This wasn't the case the entire cruise - was it?  Hope not.

Thanks again.

We board the Volendam in two weeks in Boston and love the Volendam too.