Laundry on the Princess Emerald

Grumpy8

3 minutes ago, Grumpy8 said:

Can someone tell me how the self-service Laundry machines work. How do you paid to use them. Will be sailing Aug. 28th to Sept 17th..

Just go to the Laundrette and scan your medallion and you will get tokens. It will be charged against your account.

3 minutes ago, Grumpy8 said:

Can someone tell me how the self-service Laundry machines work. How do you paid to use them. Will be sailing Aug. 28th to Sept 17th..

There are laundries on most, if not all, of the floors that are primarily cabins. There are token machines in each laundry room. You use your medallion to get the tokens. Tokens are $3. One for the washer and one for the dryer. They have laundry soap, but we brought our own from home so I am not sure of the cost of the soap.

Sea days involved a lot of competition for the laundry facilities.

Use your medallion at the token machine near the washers to purchase tokens. One for wash and one for dry.

Wash/dry tokens are $3.00 each and soap tokens are $1.50 each. Basically, $7.50 per load.

We bring Tide Pods (and dryer sheets), because the powdered soap sometimes doesn't dissolve all the way and leaves powder residue on your clothes.

2 minutes ago, Firefly74 said:

There are laundries on most, if not all, of the floors that are primarily cabins. There are token machines in each laundry room. You use your medallion to get the tokens. Tokens are $3. One for the washer and one for the dryer. They have laundry soap, but we brought our own from home so I am not sure of the cost of the soap.

Sea days involved a lot of competition for the laundry facilities.

Thanks a bunch !!!

• Like 1

Pro Tip - If you know you are going to do a load or 2 - get your tokens from a working machine or customer service before you have your clothes in hand and find the token machines out of order or out period.

58 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Pro Tip - If you know you are going to do a load or 2 - get your tokens from a working machine or customer service before you have your clothes in hand and find the token machines out of order or out period.

Yes! Great advice. We were on the Emerald a few months ago, dragged the stuff to our laundry room, machine out of tokens. Thought no big deal…ran up another deck…they were out too…down two decks…yup, out also.

Had to stand on line at Guest Services, finally got back to my laundry, all machines taken. Ugh! Time to visit one of the bars for afternoon cocktail.

Also want to add as above, don’t plan on doing laundry on sea days or last day of cruise. We luck out and do a load usually around 5pm while others are getting ready for dinner. We like eating later so this works well for us. 

• Like 1

Just now, JoRoy218 said:

Yes! Great advice. We were on the Emerald a few months ago, dragged the stuff to our laundry room, machine out of tokens. Thought no big deal…ran up another deck…they were out too…down two decks…yup, out also.

Had to stand on line at Guest Services, finally got back to my laundry, all machines taken. Ugh! Time to visit one of the bars for afternoon cocktail.

Also want to add as above, don’t plan on doing laundry on sea days or last day of cruise. We luck out and do a load usually around 5pm while others are getting ready for dinner. We like eating later so this works well for us. 

and another benefit - if you arrive at the same time and another person is at the token machine, you can snake in front of them to the washer ...

unless they have taken a previous pro tip of mine and already put their clothes in the washer...

• Haha 2

On Emerald, deck 10 has more machines. Plus launderette doors on both sides. When I went down to deck 9 because it’s aft, the door only opened from one side and less machines. And the token machine was out of order. 
Another tip: on deck 10, at least the machines on the far right (looking at them) the dryer will restart as you open the door. They all may, I just used those; they were different brands. Deck 10 has twice the number of irons also.

13 minutes ago, blueexpedition29 said:

Are the laundry rooms open 24 hours.

Technically, no. They open at 8 am. I do not remember when they close. (I usually go to bed early). But people already had been using them at 8 and I heard some people complaining that they were in use all the time.

On Emerald they have double doors. I couldn’t even hear the machines when I stood outside trying to listen. I thought they were the quietist of any ship I have been on.