Overnighting in embarkation port

laura1960

We are Azamara newbies, and are considering the January 2025 Peru to Chile trip. It apparently starts on Jan 23, but stays in Lima overnight and sets sail the next day 1/24 at 6 p.m.  How does this work.....can you embark on the 23rd, drop off your luggage, and then leave for a city tour, returning in the evening to spend the night aboard? Can you also embark for the first time on the 24th? How soon can you board the ship on the first day?

We've never had the ship stay in port overnight. Sorry if this appears to be a silly question.

49 minutes ago, laura1960 said:

We are Azamara newbies, and are considering the January 2025 Peru to Chile trip. It apparently starts on Jan 23, but stays in Lima overnight and sets sail the next day 1/24 at 6 p.m.  How does this work.....can you embark on the 23rd, drop off your luggage, and then leave for a city tour, returning in the evening to spend the night aboard? Can you also embark for the first time on the 24th? How soon can you board the ship on the first day?

We've never had the ship stay in port overnight. Sorry if this appears to be a silly question.

Well, I can answer some of this…..we overnighted in Dublin last summer on embarkation.  We dropped off luggage and embarked, but we could have dropped off luggage and gone on a city tour, returning to spend a night aboard.

Embarkation began around 11 -12 noon.  You could come back out in to Dublin at any point.  We departed the next day about 5-6 pm.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

Well, I can answer some of this…..we overnighted in Dublin last summer on embarkation.

Embarkation began around 11 -12 noon.  You could come back out in to Dublin at any point.  We departed the next day about 5-6 pm.

That's exactly what I wanted to know, thank you!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, laura1960 said:

I agree with the reply given however I would double check the second part about embarking for the first time on the day after. We were once before unable to do this. I hope you enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

Between immigration, customs and check-in personnel, I would not be confident that checking in the 2nd day would be possible.  If you decide to try to go that route, definitely get an OK from Azamara prior to making plans.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Salties said:

I agree with the reply given however I would double check the second part about embarking for the first time on the day after. We were once before unable to do this. I hope you enjoy your trip.

I never said anything about embarking the second day in port.

I do not know the answer to that, either…..only answered the parts I could.

I answered the part about when embarkation began on the first day in port.

33 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

I never said anything about embarking the second day in port.

I do not know the answer to that, either…..only answered the parts I could.

I answered the part about when embarkation began on the first day in port.

I was trying to be helpful, I never said you said anything about the 2nd question. I agreed with what you said regarding embarking and then touring. If you re- read the original question from Laura I was replying to her about boarding for the 1st. time on the second day. The reason I said to double check with Azamara was that this has not always been consistent in my experience from cruise lines and indeed different ports. I did not bother to put all that in the original reply but it would appear I should have. I am sorry you were apparently upset by my trying to assist her on her first trip with Azamara 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Salties said:

I was trying to be helpful, I never said you said anything about the 2nd question. I agreed with what you said regarding embarking and then touring. If you re- read the original question from Laura I was replying to her about boarding for the 1st. time on the second day. The reason I said to double check with Azamara was that this has not always been consistent in my experience from cruise lines and indeed different ports. I did not bother to put all that in the original reply but it would appear I should have. I am sorry you were apparently upset by my trying to assist her on her first trip with Azamara 

I was also trying to be helpful.  Perhaps I should have clarified that I did not know about the second part of her question which was whether she could embark on the second day the ship was in port.  No offense taken.  I was trying to clarify what I said.  Maybe I should have had a full cup of coffee before I replied. ☺️

1 hour ago, takemewithyou said:

I was also trying to be helpful.  Perhaps I should have clarified that I did not know about the second part of her question which was whether she could embark on the second day the ship was in port.  No offense taken.  I was trying to clarify what I said.  Maybe I should have had a full cup of coffee before I replied. ☺️

Hey, you said you could answer SOME of it - and you did. No more coffee needed.😃 Much Ado About Nothing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Between immigration, customs and check-in personnel, I would not be confident that checking in the 2nd day would be possible.  If you decide to try to go that route, definitely get an OK from Azamara prior to making plans.

Surely this can't be an issue.  If you missed your first port departure, is there ever an instance when they would not let you join the ship at the next port (having got there under your own steam)?

1 minute ago, fruitmachine said:

Surely this can't be an issue.  If you missed your first port departure, is there ever an instance when they would not let you join the ship at the next port (having got there under your own steam)?

I said it may be an issue and to check with Azamara but hey, if someone wants to do it on their own, more power to them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

I think Azamara would have no problem, but local immigration/customs may not be set up for embarking passengers. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I think Azamara would have no problem, but local immigration/customs may not be set up for embarking passengers. 

But surely that'd be done at the airport when flying in to the country?

At the port, there could be a problem accessing the secure area without a cruise card if it isn't the 'normal' embarkation day.

Then there needs to be a security screening which may well be in place for already checked in pax (and crew going ashore) anyway, then the actual check in could be handled on board, I would have thought.

So, probably possible, but potentially with an issue getting into the port. Also there could be an issue if the suitcases don't fit through the security scanner since it'd only be the little one used for personal items. No porters, of course.

Edited by jollyjones

I have a related query, as we will be 'embarking' at Kobe starting with an overnight in May next year. 

Is the safety drill held on the second day, just before sailing, or the first, soon after boarding?

I say 'embarking' but we're doing a B2B, arriving in Kobe the previous day, so a double overnight, one on each leg of the cruise. We hope to use as much of the changeover day as possible, as well as the previous day, to see Kyoto, Nara, maybe Osaka. We're changing cabins, though, so we'll have to do the safety drill again.

It would be annoying if we had to return at about 5pm on our middle day, when we don't sail until the following day.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, tonyl1956 said:

I have a related query, as we will be 'embarking' at Kobe starting with an overnight in May next year. 

Is the safety drill held on the second day, just before sailing, or the first, soon after boarding?

Osaka. We're changing cabins, though, so we'll have to do the safety drill again.

It would be annoying if we had to return at about 5pm on our middle day, when we don't sail until the following day.

1) Usually the safety drill is held on first day of overnight, but if you miss it, for example by touring or late arrival, there is a makeup drill.

2) You only need to attend the drill on B-2-B if you change assembly location.  If your in muster station A  (or B) on both cruises (even if you've changed cabins)  you do not need to attend safety drill again. 

Edited by Leo_On_Geo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for your responses! Haven't yet totally decided to do this cruise, but we are leaning quite strongly to do it. Sounds like an interesting itinerary!