Cruise Only finishing in Seward, Anchorage Transfer Options

Hi All,

Been 16 years since my last Alaskan cruise and we are lining one up for next year. End of cruise seems a bit different to last time, in that the cruise states that it finishes in Seward. My previous cruises on HAL stated that the cruise finished in Anchorage and the bus transfer was included in the cruise price.

I can't seem to find any official information on the RCI explaining what is and isn't included. The only option I can see is booking a train from Seward to Anchorage. Obviously 3rd party bus services are available.

Can someone please explain to me what actually happens upon disembarkation if you wish to go to Anchorage.

We have week in between cruises and one option is a rental car but Hertz is showing no availability for beginning of July 2025 and Alaskan Rental Car wants $978.00 to deliver a full size SUV to Seward even though we will return the vehicle to Seward.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

In Seward you will walk off the ship.  Transfers to anywhere else are not included.  

There are 3rd party services you can arrange such as bus or car service, you can stay in Seward for a day or two for some Alaska time, or you can purchase the train transfer to Anchorage.  

Royal charters a train from the Alaskan Railroad.  This is a different train from the train that the railroad offers to the public between Seward and Anchorage.  

You can book the train direct from the railroad but it uses different stations on each end.  In Anchorage the directly booked train stops at the downtown station where you’ll need a taxi or other ride to the airport.  Both can sell out.  Book well in advance.  

Riding the trains around Alaska with some hotels to match is a pretty solid way to consume several days.   The train ride is stunning.   I’ve always booked direct.  GoldStar service is worth it if your budget allows it.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

Book the train transfer with your cruise line. One of the best things we have done to get from Seward to the airport in Anchorage. Just make sure your flight time is late enough to do this. Again check with your cruise line the time restriction to book this train option.