American Airlines JFK connections

beachboy2

You should not accept less than 2 hour connections at JFK with AA. For your connecting flight, boarding ends 15 minutes before flight time!

We were with other flyers for the same connection using AAs express connection throught JFK. We were on our way to the gate and when we got there they already gave our seats to standbys We all watched them close the door and taxi off. Then we waited 3 hours in customer service line to only put us on standby for a flight 5.5 hours later. We never got on the flight! AA gave no voucher or other compensation. We had to book a hotel on our own and rent a car the next day to drive 10.5 hours to our home airport and find our luggage.

AA did make their ONTIME flight!!!!!!!!! 

8 minutes ago, beachboy2 said:

You should not accept less than 2 hour connections at JFK with AA. For your connecting flight, boarding ends 15 minutes before flight time!

We were with other flyers for the same connection using AAs express connection throught JFK. We were on our way to the gate and when we got there they already gave our seats to standbys We all watched them close the door and taxi off. Then we waited 3 hours in customer service line to only put us on standby for a flight 5.5 hours later. We never got on the flight! AA gave no voucher or other compensation. We had to book a hotel on our own and rent a car the next day to drive 10.5 hours to our home airport and find our luggage.

AA did make their ONTIME flight!!!!!!!!! 

Sorry that your incoming flight was delayed. We fly over 100K miles a year on AA and know that stuff happens. 

If you miss connect, the American Airlines app automatically gives you rebooking options without waiting in line. 

10 minutes prior to departure time is when boarding closes. 

30 minutes is a minimum connection time. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

10 minutes prior to departure time is when boarding closes.

For an ExPlat, you give incorrect information.  Wow.

Boarding closes at 15 minutes, and seats may be given away at that time. Clearly stated on the AA website: "Boarding ends 15 minutes before departure. If you’re not on board, we may reassign your seat to another passenger. You will not be allowed to board once the doors close."

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

30 minutes is a minimum connection time. 

Again, incorrect.  MCT is variable and depends on the airport, the airline and the cities involved in the connection.

• Like 2

To clarify, the flight was international to JFK. I'd love to see aanyone make it in 30minutes. By the way, there was at least 13 of us that missed flights that we were told by Express Connection people that we would make it to boarding as we ran our asses off!. 

25 minutes ago, beachboy2 said:

To clarify, the flight was international to JFK. I'd love to see aanyone make it in 30minutes. By the way, there was at least 13 of us that missed flights that we were told by Express Connection people that we would make it to boarding as we ran our asses off!. 

International to domestic minimum connection time is not 30 minutes. Not if you have to go through Immigration and Customs. 30 minutes is not the procedure for those connections.

2 hours ago, beachboy2 said:

Forget about that 30 minute number....Bird Travels is for the birds on that.

Standard MCT at JFK international to domestic is 1:45.

Further - that "express connection" is not an AA operation, but is part of CBP working to help people who have encountered delays to help them through immigration.  All it should have done is move you to a shorter line.  And those "Express Connection people" have no standing with AA and any knowledge of you making your flight.

Global Entry would have probably allowed you to make your flight.  Even Mobile Passport would be faster than any immigration line.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, beachboy2 said:

You should not accept less than 2 hour connections at JFK with AA.

I can't imagine why you did. I wouldn't book an international to domestic connection for anything less than 3 hours, and I have Global Entry.

14 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Standard MCT at JFK international to domestic is 1:45.

To be fair, AA-AA ITD is 1:15. Suppressed lines omitted:

Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at JFK
Incoming airline AA
Outgoing airline AA
Flight type International to Domestic

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE   1.00  1.15  1.45  2.00
OFFLINE  1.00  1.15  1.45  2.00
** OR * ARE ALL
AA-AA ID  1.15
**-AA ID  2.00 TRM 7 - 8