Cruising out of NY in Winter

In December 2025, we are going on a 12 day cruise out of NY to the Caribbean. The first 3 days and last 3 days are sea days. How soon after sailing from NY in the winter until you get to warm weather? I’m trying to figure out if we should purchase the Vibe, but I don’t want to if it’s going to be too cold on sea days. We usually sail in May of each year and always get the Vibe, but we haven’t sailed in the winter from NY before. Thank you! 

• Like 1

The captain moves fast out of NYC in cold weather. You shouid be off the coast of NC by your second day. Possibly chilly, but definitely beautiful and much warmer. I find it worse coming back north. That last sea day tends to be really cold, and we always seem to have rain as well.

• Like 2

Did a 14 and a 12 day. On both cruises by the second day temps were in the 70's. Both cruises had three sea days coming back. On the 14 day it was a miserable three days. High winds and high seas for 72 hours. All outside decks were closed for 2.5 days. Pools were drained outside and in the thermal spa. The last day I'll never forget the amount of salty ice built up on the balcony railings, must have been .25 inch thick

5 hours ago, Trela1234 said:

In December 2025, we are going on a 12 day cruise out of NY to the Caribbean. The first 3 days and last 3 days are sea days. How soon after sailing from NY in the winter until you get to warm weather? I’m trying to figure out if we should purchase the Vibe, but I don’t want to if it’s going to be too cold on sea days. We usually sail in May of each year and always get the Vibe, but we haven’t sailed in the winter from NY before. Thank you! 

Are you going on one of the Breakaway cruises? I am going on the one right after Thanksgiving - i have never been on one more than 7 and am interested in the ports that in the past I had to fly to.

Posted (edited)

December out of NYC shouldn't be THAT cold; January & Feb can be MUCH colder.  I live in Central NJ about 30 minutes west of the Big Apple.  We went on a 7 day pre-Xmas cruise down to Florida in 2011. By sea day 2 outside temps were in the high 60's/low 70's.  If the winds are out of the north it'll feel colder.  Coming back, yeah, it'll be COLDER, as others have stated.

Hope you have a good cruise!

Edited by tomk3212
  • Like 1