Help! Champagne?!

FiFiR

Now there may be bigger issues to solve in the world, but.....

Having sailed on Silversea for the last 2 cruises we are dipping our toes into Seabourn waters... I have just filled in the preferences and saw that we can have "house white" or "house red" in our in-suite fridge. I also saw a reference to a "welcome glass of champagne".  One of our favourite things to do pre-dinner is sit on our balcony in our robes enjoying a few glasses of champers. Will I get grief if I ask for a bottle of champagne in our suite each day? It sounds a touch indulgent, but I'm saving space and effort from staff in one of the bars??! 

Totally appreciate how spoilt and needy I am...

2 hours ago, FiFiR said:

Now there may be bigger issues to solve in the world, but.....

Having sailed on Silversea for the last 2 cruises we are dipping our toes into Seabourn waters... I have just filled in the preferences and saw that we can have "house white" or "house red" in our in-suite fridge. I also saw a reference to a "welcome glass of champagne".  One of our favourite things to do pre-dinner is sit on our balcony in our robes enjoying a few glasses of champers. Will I get grief if I ask for a bottle of champagne in our suite each day? It sounds a touch indulgent, but I'm saving space and effort from staff in one of the bars??! 

Totally appreciate how spoilt and needy I am...

You will not get grief.  Just ask for it!  Currently, we have an unopened bottle of champagne in the refrigerator of our suite--from the first day.  You can also order any other bottle of complimentary wine.  Champagne is no different.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, FiFiR said:

I have just filled in the preferences and saw that we can have "house white" or "house red" in our in-suite fridge

FWIW, all the included wines are available for your cabin, so if you did choose a "house xxx" that is not to your liking the cabin attendant can change it out for one more to your liking.  

• Like 3

Are you all saying you don't still get a bottle of champers in a cooler on your arrival in the suite?  It is some 6 years since I was on a  SB ship, so I guess things have changed maybe?

10 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Are you all saying you don't still get a bottle of champers in a cooler on your arrival in the suite?  It is some 6 years since I was on a  SB ship, so I guess things have changed maybe?

Be assured the bottle of Champers will be in the suite on ice waiting for you - but also your suite attendants will welcome you  with a welcome glass when they call to make sure all is OK

5 hours ago, FiFiR said:

One of our favourite things to do pre-dinner is sit on our balcony in our robes enjoying a few glasses of champers. Will I get grief if I ask for a bottle of champagne in our suite each day? It sounds a touch indulgent, but I'm saving space and effort from staff in one of the bars??! 

Enjoy and order a bottle each day - why not also order caviar to enjoy with it. Unlike that other line it is complimentary!

Are you embarking at Dover in 13 days - if so we may see you!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Ha!!! Caviar is complementary on Silversea too!! On SS they knew my order so the butler had it there for us each day. From the comments above assume it’s similar on SB. 

We’re boarding in Dubrovnik-> Athens 

Edited by FiFiR

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

We DID receive a bottle of champagne upon our arrival.  We also received two glasses of champagne already poured.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

This hasn't changed! Still the same

Nancy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Huggsy said:

Out of curiosity, what is their house Champagne?

It’s been Montaudon Brut the last few years.  It used to be Nicolas Feuillatte Brut.  IMHO they made a change for the better, but like food and beverage in general there are a range of tastes and hard to keep everyone happy.  To Seabourn’s credit the premium wine list usually features some good Champagnes at reasonable prices, so not like anyone needs to go thirsty if Montaudon doesn’t work for them.  

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Possibly, but try to find Montaudon in any wine shop. It hardly exists, which to me... along with its low retail selling price online... is a pretty good indication of how it is generally viewed. Nicolas Fueillatte Brut is a recognized champagne house of decent quality and taste and available for sale most everywhere inn wine shops in its several bottlings, including an incredible rose. IMHO, it's a far superior product, but the winner of the Seabourn fleet champagne concession always goes to the lowest cost bidder.

• Like 2

as a reference for the champagne lovers, and without wanting to get hate from the anti-SS, but the house champagne on SS is Heidsieck Monopole, but Pommery also served without having to upcharge.....

• Like 1

If it is Montaudon, I have just looked it up on the UK website.  They make a variety of champagnes, at all sorts of prices, but I did notice that in Decanter magazine  they crit. the one sold at the Lidl supermarkets, which is certainly cheap, at £15, though Decanter says it is surprisingly good.  Decanter are normally a knowledgable indicator of the quality or at least drinking pleasure of wine.  SB do change fairly frequently, probably due to availability in quantity as well as price point.

• Like 3

Looking at Montaudon's own website, they make quite a few different champagnes (as do others) and some of them are indeed quite expensive - and hopefully therefore very good.  Which one SB has been offering is not known to most of us, but it is not likely to be one of the superior ones for the included list.  Doesn't mean that it is not enjoyable, at least to many passengers.

On our cruises it has always been the Montaudon Brut Tradition.  For my untrained, but overused palate, I have found this Champagne a very drinkable brut.  Personally, I prefer it to the Monopole Blue Top....but we all have different palates.  For those with more refined taste, there are several better Champagnes onboard....for a price.

Hank

• Like 2

Montaudon is very popular here in France - I quite like it.  It’s also been recommended to us by the wine experts that are employed in some of the larger supermarkets/hypermarkets.  As you can imagine, we have a very wide choice of champagnes to choose from.  Having also spent a week in the champagne area yes, the extremely expensive champagnes are very nice but most of the entry level champagnes are quite good as well.  
And don’t miss out on the French sparkling wines either.  The quality is excellent and very good value.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

I’m not really a champagne drinker but am always glad to see the welcome bottle when we arrive in our suite. I usually pop the cork just to recognize our arrival. After that we keep the remainder in the fridge and I clean my teeth with it every morning.  Thank heavens for Bombay Sapphire!

Edited by Dusko
Grammar
  • Haha 7