Advice on Timing, routes, etc...Needed

Macdooger4

Hello! We will be in Bermuda on a Wednesday in October (docking 8am) and would like to visit St. Georges and then Horseshoe Bay Beach, returning to Dockyard by 4pm (ship leaves at 5pm).

I know we can easily take orange route ferry to St. George (can we pay exact amt of cash on board ferry or should we purchase tickers in advance?). If we walk around St. Georges for about 2 hours, how can we then get to Horseshoe Bay Beach and back to dockyard from there...and will we have time? We don't need more than an hour at the beach, just want to see it and relax for a short time. 

How long is the bus ride from St George to Beach, how do we get tickets, will there be enough time? 

Any advice is welcome. thank you!!

1 hour ago, Macdooger4 said:

would like to visit St. Georges and then Horseshoe Bay Beach, returning to Dockyard by 4pm (ship leaves at 5pm).

It's an ambitious day. Usually would be something I'd consider on one day of a multiple day visit. 

I know we can easily take orange route ferry to St. George (can we pay exact amt of cash on board ferry or should we purchase tickers in advance?).

You can pay at the gangway but you pay a little less if you buy tokens in advance- $5 on boarding or tokens for $4.50. Best way to get to St Georges from the Dockyard.

If we walk around St. Georges for about 2 hours, how can we then get to Horseshoe Bay Beach and back to dockyard from there...and will we have time? We don't need more than an hour at the beach, just want to see it and relax for a short time.

2 hours is a lot for St Georges especially in light that you'll prob be there a bit early for lunch. I'm sure some folks on here have been able to wander around for multiple hours but it is fairly small and I usually will get my fill after an hour. You could take a bus or taxi over to the Swizzle Inn for something early and a drink. 

To get to Horseshoe by bus I believe you will need to make a transfer in Hamilton. It also begs the question if you would want to walk around Hamilton at all as it's a much larger town than St Georges. To give you an idea on timing a taxi from St Georges to Horseshoe Bay will take about 40 minutes. The bus, if you hit transfers right, will take closer to an hour and a half. It will be a pricey taxi but in the context of a short port visit could be worth the investment. 

Once at Horseshoe Bay you can easily find a taxi or shared minibus back to the Dockyard. 

St Georges is great but frankly you could be better served by taking the ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton, having a leisurely few hours there with an early lunch, take a quick taxi or bus ride to Horseshoe and then back to the ship. Less running around and time in transit. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

It's an ambitious day. Usually would be something I'd consider on one day of a multiple day visit. 

You can pay at the gangway but you pay a little less if you buy tokens in advance- $5 on boarding or tokens for $4.50. Best way to get to St Georges from the Dockyard.

2 hours is a lot for St Georges especially in light that you'll prob be there a bit early for lunch. I'm sure some folks on here have been able to wander around for multiple hours but it is fairly small and I usually will get my fill after an hour. You could take a bus or taxi over to the Swizzle Inn for something early and a drink. 

To get to Horseshoe by bus I believe you will need to make a transfer in Hamilton. It also begs the question if you would want to walk around Hamilton at all as it's a much larger town than St Georges. To give you an idea on timing a taxi from St Georges to Horseshoe Bay will take about 40 minutes. The bus, if you hit transfers right, will take closer to an hour and a half. It will be a pricey taxi but in the context of a short port visit could be worth the investment. 

Once at Horseshoe Bay you can easily find a taxi or shared minibus back to the Dockyard. 

St Georges is great but frankly you could be better served by taking the ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton, having a leisurely few hours there with an early lunch, take a quick taxi or bus ride to Horseshoe and then back to the ship. Less running around and time in transit. 

Thank you so much!!! Perhaps we will do Hamilton and then Horseshoe Bay Beach...appreciate the feedback 

Thank you so much!!! Perhaps we will do Hamilton and then Horseshoe Bay Beach...appreciate the feedback 

I would do Horseshoe Bay then Hamilton. If you plan to rent chairs at Horseshoe reports are the current conscession does not have enough and runs out early. Or St. George and then Hamilton and do Horseshoe the next day.  You would also then have options for in between St. George and Hamilton.  It is best to do Horseshoe Bay early in my opinion. 

43 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I would do Horseshoe Bay then Hamilton. If you plan to rent chairs at Horseshoe reports are the current conscession does not have enough and runs out early. Or St. George and then Hamilton and do Horseshoe the next day.  You would also then have options for in between St. George and Hamilton.  It is best to do Horseshoe Bay early in my opinion. 

Thank you! Unfortunately, we are only in Bermuda for one day from 8-5...so don't think we will have time for all those things...

2 hours ago, Macdooger4 said:

I agree with Charles here-- Horseshoe earlier and then Hamilton for a late lunch and walking around. Ferry fromm Hamilton back to Dockyard. 

You certainly aren't going to see much of the island but you'll hit a few highlights. St Georges on a day stop is doable but usually requires a small fortune in taxi fare to do it in addition to something else. While Hamilton isn't as quaint and historic as St Georges there is a lot more to eat, shop, and walk around and see. 

19 minutes ago, Macdooger4 said:

Thank you! Unfortunately, we are only in Bermuda for one day from 8-5...so don't think we will have time for all those things...

What cruise line?  If you only have one day I would not do St. George. It is on the other end of Bermuda. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

We are docking at The Dockyard at 8am.  What would be your estimate on the shuttle drive time from the Dockyard to Horseshoe Beach once the shuttle is full?  TIA!!

Thirty to thirty five minutes. 

• Thanks 1

Hi MacDooger4.  I suspect we are on your cruise.  We were going to do pretty much the same thing you were going to do.  But after seeing the responses on here we are rethinking it.  Still want to see the island.  Probably going to take a van tour from the boat that leaves 30 minutes after we dock.  Drives the island with a few stops.  Can either get a couple minutes at John Smith's Bay Beach (4 hour tour for $65) or an hour at the beach (5 hour tour for $75).  Goes to St. George's for 30 minutes.  Ends in Hamilton and you have a ferry ticket to go back to Docklands, likely on the 3:15 ferry.  See Viator.  There may be other tours folks on here could recommend.  Not ideal but it is our first time to Bermuda and we want to see as much as we can between 8 and 5.  And not miss our ship.  If we love Bermuda we will be back for a week. 

On 8/17/2024 at 4:35 AM, Woodside Lady said:

(4 hour tour for $65) or an hour at the beach (5 hour tour for $75

Just to clarify and avoid possible disappointment- those rates are per hour, not for a the whole tour.

On 8/17/2024 at 4:35 AM, Woodside Lady said:

See Viator.

No reason to use Viator- it’s just a third party aggregator and you pay additional fees. These tours can be easily arranged on arrival by using a Blue Flag Taxi which are taxi drivers that are specially licensed to be tour guides.

47 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Just to clarify and avoid possible disappointment- those rates are per hour, not for a the whole tour.

The Viator rates are per person, not per hour and the tours would be similar to a cruise line's shore excursion...a group sharing a van.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

No reason to use Viator- it’s just a third party aggregator and you pay additional fees. These tours can be easily arranged on arrival by using a Blue Flag Taxi which are taxi drivers that are specially licensed to be tour guides.

Agree...and you wouldn't be sharing the vehicle with 10  or 15 others  you don't know.

Edited by njhorseman

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, amberjohn said:

We are trying to find a tour that takes us around the island from the dockyard to St Georges.  What do you all recommend?

thanks

I'd suggest a Blue Flag taxi tour. Blue Flag cabbies are certified as tour guides .

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I'd suggest a Blue Flag taxi tour. Blue Flag cabbies are certified as tour guides .

This. And when you use a Blue Flag private tour (as opposed to a larger bus with other folks on it) you can dictate where you get picked up and dropped off. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/30/2024 at 2:19 AM, amberjohn said:

We are trying to find a tour that takes us around the island from the dockyard to St Georges.  What do you all recommend?

thanks

We were in Bermuda last October and took an island tour with Byways Tours Bermuda and thoroughly enjoyed it! We got to see the entire island as well as various stops throughout. Lunch was also included. I would highly recommend if you are looking for a tour. It starts and ends at Dockyard.

bermudabyways.com 

Edited by Chughes0303

On 8/12/2024 at 10:19 AM, princeton123211 said:

tokens for $4.50

Do you know where we can get these token from? Previously they were sold at St.George or Hamilton but not at the Dockyard. Is it still the same?

24 minutes ago, Sayuil said:

Do you know where we can get these token from? Previously they were sold at St.George or Hamilton but not at the Dockyard. Is it still the same?

Tokens have always been sold at the visitor information centre at the Dockyard. You may be thinking of the ticket booklets which are not sold at the Dockyard. 

Just now, Charles4515 said:

Tokens have always been sold at the visitor information centre at the Dockyard. You may be thinking of the ticket booklets which are not sold at the Dockyard. 

Yes you are correct. I am thinking of the booklet. So the booklet are still sold at St.George Post office and Hamilton Bus Station. Is that still true?

37 minutes ago, Sayuil said:

Yes you are correct. I am thinking of the booklet. So the booklet are still sold at St.George Post office and Hamilton Bus Station. Is that still true?

That is still true. Post offices and Hamilton Bus station. It might be sold at the Hamilton Ferry terminal. 

There is also a digital app that where digital versions of the booklets are available but I have heard there were some glitches. I don’t know if those have been resolved.