Drinks Package Questions

napria

Internet is another one; included with many other t cruise lines now but not even for Grills passengers with Cunard.  It's just a list of extra charges that you have to keep in mind but when these are all added up other cruise lines become competitive in price with Cunard.

Yes, Oceania is another of the lines we’re looking at.  I like a lot of things about both Oceania and Azamara, but I can’t find an itinerary I like during a time we want to sail on either.

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

You are on holiday. And for a fortnight, not six weeks. So there is no ‘way more than you should concept’.

At the risk of repeating myself WE are not on holiday. Life for us is a holiday. Two weeks on QM2 is an experience that we need a holiday from when we get home. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I struggled to find anything more than a basic small glass of white wine under $13.50 in the Britannia restaurant on Queen Anne in May and also in Carinthia and Commodore Club.  Whilst making very good use of my package everywhere else and breaking more or less even across the 14 nights I found this lack of choice in these venues rather restricting.

That's a shame. Our tastes are varied, generally as long as it's French, but maybe Italian and Spanish as well.

From the most recent list all of these would be ok for us by the glass:

Sparkling:
Cunard Cellar Reserve Prosecco

White:
Chardonnay/Viognier, Jean d'Alibert
Pinot Grigio, Cecilia Beretta

Rosé:
Grenache/Syrah, Jean d'Alibert
Château la Tour de l'Évêque

Red:
Grenache/Syrah/Mourvèdre, Jean d'Alibert
Cabernet Sauvignon, Saissac
Pinot Noir, Leduc

I don't think we've actually tasted Tour de l'Évêque, but we're looking forward to it. It seems to be quite popular (without Cunard on the label) here.

However they are all fine for lunch, aperitifs or refreshment through the evening. With our evening meal we will be buying bottles in a range from $60 to $100, taking our Coravin so they can be kept for another night, maybe not the next night, and having half a bottle between us with the main part of our dinner. We will save 20% on each of those due to the package.

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

So there is no ‘way more than you should concept’.

I assume that reference is to NHS, and other health authority guidelines, which are 14 units a week, equating to six Cunard sized glasses of wine! 🤣

25 minutes ago, D&N said:

At the risk of repeating myself WE are not on holiday. Life for us is a holiday. Two weeks on QM2 is an experience that we need a holiday from when we get home. 😀

In that case, ignore all I’ve said. No meals amounting to more than 800 calories, one small glass of wine a day if you absolutely must, no dancing, as that is obviously far too frivolous, and at least two hours a day on Zoom to people you dislike. 😀😀

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, D&N said:

I assume that reference is to NHS, and other health authority guidelines, which are 14 units a week, equating to six Cunard sized glasses of wine! 🤣

It depends a bit what wine.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

In that case, ignore all I’ve said. No meals amounting to more than 800 calories, one small glass of wine a day if you absolutely must, no dancing, as that is obviously far too frivolous, and at least two hours a day on Zoom to people you dislike. 😀😀

No! Dancing is exercise. It supplements the gym workouts. I can just imagine you recoiling at that last statement. 😀

I like the Zoom idea though. Now who should I call? 🤣

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, D&N said:

No! Dancing is exercise. It supplements the gym workouts. I can just imagine you recoiling at that last statement. 😀

I like the Zoom idea though. Now who should I call? 🤣

Your imagination is dangerously accurate. I’m still doubtful about dancing being too enjoyable though, so I think it should be restricted to an hour a day. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, D&N said:

Indeed that is the guidance, now identical for both men and women, though there isn't such a thing as a safe level of alcohol consumption. But the bit that often gets forgotten is that this should be over at least 3 days a week, since 14 units just on one night a week could/would cause liver damage at some point, whereas it's unlikely on 3 nights x 5 units. It's only men over 50 years old that go much above that, the heaviest drinkers in the UK are now men aged 65 to 74 years old on 21 units per week. Those under 40 years old are quite abstemious, under 12 units a week, compared to 20 years ago.

Cunard's alcohol drink packages are therefore suited to those drinking somewhat above average drinking levels. Modest drinkers shouldn't find them financially attractive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, D&N said:

That's a shame. Our tastes are varied, generally as long as it's French, but maybe Italian and Spanish as well.

From the most recent list all of these would be ok for us by the glass:

Sparkling:
Cunard Cellar Reserve Prosecco

White:
Chardonnay/Viognier, Jean d'Alibert
Pinot Grigio, Cecilia Beretta

Rosé:
Grenache/Syrah, Jean d'Alibert
Château la Tour de l'Évêque

Red:
Grenache/Syrah/Mourvèdre, Jean d'Alibert
Cabernet Sauvignon, Saissac
Pinot Noir, Leduc

I don't think we've actually tasted Tour de l'Évêque, but we're looking forward to it. It seems to be quite popular (without Cunard on the label) here.

However they are all fine for lunch, aperitifs or refreshment through the evening. With our evening meal we will be buying bottles in a range from $60 to $100, taking our Coravin so they can be kept for another night, maybe not the next night, and having half a bottle between us with the main part of our dinner. We will save 20% on each of those due to the package.

I actually had the Pinot Grigio every night with dinner as I do not drink red wine.  I agree if i had a more varied pallet there were other choices.  The small glass just fitted into the package but I only had one glass with each meal as the sommelier did not reappear.  My table companions all had bottles.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Gosh, the last lines to offer free wine at meals were French Line and the Italian lines (Italia, Costa, Lauro etc) half a century a ago when it was actually a government requirement that Third (Tourist) had red wine at dinner and lunch provided free of charge. Paquet Line (the much missed MERMOZ) may have had complimentary table wine into the early 1980s but that was it. I loved that even at age 16, the French and Italians served you wine at the table!! And the French gave you a little packet of cigarettes at gala night, too! 

The value of these drinks packages is easy to figure out if you've cruised with Cunard before and even allowing for the steady uptick in prices.  A lot of folks forget that the 15 per cent gratuity is included in these packages.  And they included all speciality coffee, teas, soft drinks too.  

Many of the lines with premium service --- Oceania, Silver Sea, Regent Silver Seas, Ponant offer complimentary wine and beer with meals.     They also offer drink packages for other times.

I would think the only way to figure out if a drink package is worthwhile is to know the prices of drinks beforehand so you can factor it up. For example, I am a teetotaler so if I looked at a drink plan it would be either the Specialty Hot Drinks or Premium Non Alcoholic. The issue is without knowing what Hot Chocolates, Tea Fortes, non alcoholic Cocktails et al cost it is hard to make an informed decision. 

1 minute ago, JT1101 said:

I would think the only way to figure out if a drink package is worthwhile is to know the prices of drinks beforehand so you can factor it up. For example, I am a teetotaler so if I looked at a drink plan it would be either the Specialty Hot Drinks or Premium Non Alcoholic. The issue is without knowing what Hot Chocolates, Tea Fortes, non alcoholic Cocktails et al cost it is hard to make an informed decision. 

That's where Cruise Critic comes in! But yes I think it's part of Cunard's cunning plan not to be too overt on pricing so that people buy a drinks package out of convenience or thinking they will be charged for coffee at breakfast. Currently a big range of soft drinks, teas, coffees, hot chocolate are in the $4.50 to $6 area after including the 15% service charge, with a pint of soda water at under $5. Mocktails are more varied but $9 including the service fee is a good baseline.

3 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

That's where Cruise Critic comes in! But yes I think it's part of Cunard's cunning plan not to be too overt on pricing so that people buy a drinks package out of convenience or thinking they will be charged for coffee at breakfast. Currently a big range of soft drinks, teas, coffees, hot chocolate are in the $4.50 to $6 area after including the 15% service charge, with a pint of soda water at under $5. Mocktails are more varied but $9 including the service fee is a good baseline.

So about where they were last time I sailed. Cool. I already knew coffee and such are free in both Britannia and King's Court. I was thinking about stuff like the decadent Hot Chocolates in Sir Samuel's and the mocktails at dinner. 

The chocolate is $4.80 or $4.90 depending on venue (it's not just in Sir Samuels, the Godiva arrangement stopped some time ago so it's no longer unique to that location).  So add in 15% and you do get a bit of change from $6.  The mocktails vary so much due to the ingredients, so they range from $6.50 to $15, but a lot are around $8 before service.

You can also get free coffee during the day in Connexions, in front of room 4 - 5. That uses a bean to cup machine, same beans as in Britannia (but not the Union beans deployed in Carinthia / Commodore etc), however unlike at breakfast it won't be hanging around in a warming pot, it's straight to your coffee cup.

There are a few March 2024 bar and lounge menus linked to from the respective sections on the Cunard website that give details of all the hot drink prices, soft drinks, bottled water, and several mocktails.

Question please - do UK Cunard pax generally get a very healthy amount of OBC to help pay for drinks, internet, service charges? More OBC than North American pax, even though US Grills pax can a watered down drinks package and service charges picked up. 

15 minutes ago, NE John said:

Question please - do UK Cunard pax generally get a very healthy amount of OBC to help pay for drinks, internet, service charges? More OBC than North American pax, even though US Grills pax can a watered down drinks package and service charges picked up. 

I don't think so. All our Club bookings have been $145 each for 14 night sailings, so total $290 for cabin.

As has been discussed before, as far as I know the prices are generally lower. I think all the comparisons that have been posted here have taken OBC into account.

Other than shareholder or forces/veterans benefits of course.

• Like 3

We have been lucky to travel in Queens Grill several times with the drinks package included in this category.  We never had a problem in the Queens Lounge during cocktail hour. As soon as the server and bartender heard our accent, they knew we were Americans and automatically gave us doubles. The EU pour is so much smaller. In the Queens Grill dining room for lunch and dinner the sommelier gave us a choice of wines by the glass that did not cost us extra. The wines were varied and most very good. In venues outside of the Grills we did have to state we have a package but asking for doubles, we were charged extra. I did go to reception and the charges were removed. 

We are on the QA for the first time in October, so we hope to enjoy another great cruise. 

3 hours ago, zak477 said:

We have been lucky to travel in Queens Grill several times with the drinks package included in this category.  We never had a problem in the Queens Lounge during cocktail hour. As soon as the server and bartender heard our accent, they knew we were Americans and automatically gave us doubles. The EU pour is so much smaller. In the Queens Grill dining room for lunch and dinner the sommelier gave us a choice of wines by the glass that did not cost us extra. The wines were varied and most very good. In venues outside of the Grills we did have to state we have a package but asking for doubles, we were charged extra. I did go to reception and the charges were removed. 

We are on the QA for the first time in October, so we hope to enjoy another great cruise. 

Good point. If you tell your sommelier or Grills lounge server that you’re on the US package, they’ll make things happen. It’s amazing how quickly the Grills staff remember your name and so many other details. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NE John said:

Good point. If you tell your sommelier or Grills lounge server that you’re on the US package, they’ll make things happen. It’s amazing how quickly the Grills staff remember your name and so many other details. 

If you have an American booking in Queen Grill is it somehow marked on your card?   Or do you have to tell them?

Nope. Not anymore. And I do not think was exclusive to US market Grill passengers. 

The little black diamond that designated Grill (PG or QG) last appears on my card from QUEEN VICTORIA Sept 2019. Why it was done away with is one of those Cunard shrug-inducing moments.  "Someone" thought it was a good idea. 

21 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

If you have an American booking in Queen Grill is it somehow marked on your card?   Or do you have to tell them?

Tell them. Just be aware of prices because you pay the full amount over $12, plus the service charge. 

3 minutes ago, NE John said:

Tell them. Just be aware of prices because you pay the full amount over $12, plus the service charge. 

I've read that.    As a Celebrity Cruiser I find that unusual.   On Celebrity you only pay the amount over the Max price.  I'm hearing it is the same on Oceania as Cunard.