Are there top sheets on beds?

Mara4166

It has been almost 2 years since our last cruise and I cannot remember if the bed was made with just a duvet or if it also had a flat top sheet on it.  I know in the past we had to ask our room attendant to add a top sheet to the bed, but was wondering if we will need to ask for it on our next cruise.  We are sailing from Southampton if that makes any difference.

Posted (edited)

I’ve never had a top sheet (and have not requested one). The beds are made with duvets inside a cover. 

that said when in America I have never seen a duvet in a duvet cover (as used on Princess). The beds have been made with a sheet and a patterned comforter that did not have a cover.  Is that how beds are usually made in the US? 

Here in the UK you will usually find the duvet places inside the cover.  Rather than having a loose top sheet. 

Edited by Pink-belle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mara4166 said:

It has been almost 2 years since our last cruise and I cannot remember if the bed was made with just a duvet or if it also had a flat top sheet on it.  I know in the past we had to ask our room attendant to add a top sheet to the bed, but was wondering if we will need to ask for it on our next cruise.  We are sailing from Southampton if that makes any difference.

Currently on Emerald.  We do have a top sheet and a duvet.  Since wallyj says they do not have one, I just double checked and we do have a top sheet.  We did not ask for it but expect to have a top sheet.

• Like 2

Last week on Sky we had a top sheet and thick cover. I had to pump up the air con cooling as on normal mid-range setting it was too cold with just the sheet over you and too hot with the cover as well. Just a sheet and blanket would do me. Oh, and a firmer pillow (which I requested) than the soft things that just collapse to nothing that they have now.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pink-belle said:

Here in the UK you will usually find the duvet places inside the cover.  Rather than having a loose top sheet. 

We use both a flat top sheet and a duvet in a duvet cover.  We are also in UK, but know that having both is not very common.  I like having a cover on me when sleeping and many times the duvet is too warm so like to have a top sheet as an option.  I have always liked this, but ever since menopause and night sweats followed by cold spells, I really need both.

Luckily on all of our previous cruises this is easily sorted after talking to the room attendant.  It sounds like it is not consistent even on a single ship.

Edited by Mara4166

@Mara4166, interesting that @HotRoothas a top sheet and I do not and we are on the same ship at the same time. I will ask my steward if the default is no sheet or it is just inconsistent ?

IIRC, most of my sailings in Princess there was NO top sheet.

• Like 1

Just now, wallyj said:

IIRC, most of my sailings in Princess there was NO top sheet

Our next cruise will be my 9th on Princess and I never remember having a top sheet, but always ask for it on the first day and it appears by the evening.  I could not remember if it was there on my last cruise so thought I would ask.    It has never been a problem getting one.

i usually make a list of anything that I would like and leave it in the room when we drop off the bags.  If there are a lot of items there is usually a small additional tip at the beginning of the cruise - with a larger tip at the end assuming service is good - which it always have been.

It has been our experience over the past 5 or so years (probably around 15 cruises during that time span) that Princess does not default to having a top sheet, rather they have the duvet which is covered with sort of a sheet/cover.  We always ask for a separate flat sheet since the duvet is much too hot in most cases.

• Thanks 1

Pre-Covid it seems that Princess had moved to just the duvet so we always asked for a sheet, too. I agree with other posters that the duvet was just too warm! On the Enchanted last February I was glad to see that we had a top sheet without having to ask!

6 hours ago, HotRoot said:

Currently on Emerald.  We do have a top sheet and a duvet.  Since wallyj says they do not have one, I just double checked and we do have a top sheet.  We did not ask for it but expect to have a top sheet.

@HotRoot, trying to clarify as maybe we do not use the same terms.

I asked my room steward what is the standard bedding setup for a cabin. He said there should be on top of the mattress, a mattress PAD, then a flat sheet over that, which I believe most people would call a bottom sheet or what is usually the ‘fitted’ sheet with elastic. Then a quilted comforter is inside a ‘duvet’. It is easy to think there is a TOP sheet as the Duvet has a very large opening and you can mistake the bottom of the duvet as a separate TOP flat sheet.

Are you saying you have the bottom sheet which you sleep on top of, then a separate flat sheet and on top of that,  a duvet which has the comforter inside? This would then be 5 layers, bottom flat sheet, top sheet, bottom layer of duvet, comforter, top layer of duvet?

Steward said standard setup is 4 layers, bottom sheet, bottom layer of duvet, comforter, top layer of duvet. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Are you saying you have the bottom sheet which you sleep on top of, then a separate  flat sheet and on top of that,  a duvet which has the comforter inside?

Yes.  I like 2 layers on top.  A thin layer of a sheet only if I am warm (night sweats) or a thicker layer of a duvet if I am cold.  It also means that DH and I can can different temperature levels on each side of the bed if needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wallyj said:

@HotRoot, trying to clarify as maybe we do not use the same terms.

I asked my room steward what is the standard bedding setup for a cabin. He said there should be on top of the mattress, a mattress PAD, then a flat sheet over that, which I believe most people would call a bottom sheet or what is usually the ‘fitted’ sheet with elastic. Then a quilted comforter is inside a ‘duvet’. It is easy to think there is a TOP sheet as the Duvet has a very large opening and you can mistake the bottom of the duvet as a separate TOP flat sheet.

Are you saying you have the bottom sheet which you sleep on top of, then a separate flat sheet and on top of that,  a duvet which has the comforter inside? This would then be 5 layers, bottom flat sheet, top sheet, bottom layer of duvet, comforter, top layer of duvet?

Steward said standard setup is 4 layers, bottom sheet, bottom layer of duvet, comforter, top layer of duvet. 

My experience for the last 20+ Princess cruises, has been exactly as you have described. 
Thank you for asking your steward.

My recent experience on the Caribbean Princess was a bottom sheet (I suspect may have actually been a top sheet put on the bottom, because I could see the folds) there was then a fitted/bottom sheet which the duvet seemed to be kind of held in.  I did not like this set up as my hands kept getting tangled up in the fitted elastic area which was near my face and I was unable to really get this set up to lie flat.  I know, I probably could have asked the steward to change it, but he was so busy, I did not.  Otherwise it did not impact temp or comfort.  So, not a fan of this set up, IMO, YMMV

28 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

Currently on the Enchanted. On day 1, I had the room steward remove the duvet because it would sweat me. I have a flat bottom sheet, a top sheet and a blanket.

We're of like minds. I do the same.

I'm eternally puzzled why that heavy comforter inside the duvet cover is the standard set-up, especially for Caribbean and other hot weather cruises.  It's not like we're camping outside in Alaska or anything. 

Good to know to check with room steward if the bed isn't set up like we like.  I'm usually cold and DH is usually hot so I'm often under the covers he's thrown off. It's nice to have options.

I'm glad I read this question, as we are to do the Enchanted next February, and if ??? I don't have the sheet like I am used to here at home, I will probably ask for it.