New Zealand cruise questions

Samkitty1

I would appreciate info from those who have cruised Austraila or New Zealand. Any advise is appreciated.

I'm considering a New Zealand cruise in January or February 2025 on either the Crown  or Royal Princess out of Sydney. 

I've sailed on both,and like the older ships if they are maintained well.  The Crown is less $$$ for my dates and has a lovely promenade deck and more public spaces to see outside on sea days, but the recent reviews have not been great. Any recent Crown cruisers have an opintion? 

On either ship, are on board expenses charged in American dollars or Austrailian dollars? Wondering if I should pre pay tips and internet or wait to purchase on board if the exchange rate is favorable. 

Last, is it feasable to book an 11:00 AM flight out of Sydey on disembarkation day? We will we carrying our own luggage of the ship early. 

Thanks in advance!

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Samkitty1 said:

On either ship, are on board expenses charged in American dollars or Austrailian dollars? Wondering if I should pre pay tips and internet or wait to purchase on board if the exchange rate is favorable. 

Last, is it feasable to book an 11:00 AM flight out of Sydey on disembarkation day? We will we carrying our own luggage of the ship early. 

AU dollars. And, I'm sure you know this, but if you're getting IT for each person, the Plus package might be worthwhile. We sailed on sister ship to Royal last March and enjoyed it a lot. We loved this cruise and I am happy to answer any questions about ports/excursions, etc. Sydney is a fantastic city. Please fly early/stay late to enjoy. We filled 6 days easily--all DIY via the excellent public transit. Wonderful beaches, hiking, quaint towns, even mountains, all just a train or ferry-ride away. 

11am means you need to be at airport (in theory) 8am, but 8:30 is likely still OK. I'd say self-disembark should be fine, as you'd be ahead of regular disembark for the taxi line.

Edited by elaine5

1 minute ago, elaine5 said:

AU dollars. And, I'm sure you know this, but if you're getting IT for each person, the Plus package might be worthwhile. We sailed on sister ship to Royal last March and enjoyed it a lot. We loved this cruise and I am happy to answer any questions about ports/excursions, etc. 

11am means you need to be at airport (in theory) 8am, but 8:30 is likely still OK. I'd say self-disembark should be fine, as you'd be ahead of regular disembark for the taxi line.

Thank you.... If I book I will definitly ask some port questions

Posted (edited)

On the Royal last December the currency was AUD.  If it's just extra tips above the autotip that you're worried about the crew will be happy to accept USD.

We did take an 11 AM flight out of Sydney and got there in plenty of time.  We did leave our luggage out the night before and were in the first group to disembark.  We walked to the train at Circular Quay and took that to the airport.  So quick and we actually got to the airport before check in opened.  It's flat all the way and there are elevators at Circular Quay so as long as you're able to easily walk this is the fastest and most economical way to get to the airport.  You don't need to buy tickets in advance, you simply tap your credit card at the gates to the train.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mahasamatman said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Every cruise we've taken in Australia and New Zealand (on both Princess and Celebrity) has used USD onboard.

We sailed Grand Princess last year for 63 days straight. We sailed out of San Francisco and, for the first 31 days, all charges were in USD. Once we got to Australia/New Zealand all charges were in AUD. Princess plainly spells out that charges will be in AUD. OBC is also in AUD which meant that we received significantly less value for the OBC. That is also plainly stated by Princess.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We sailed Grand Princess last year for 63 days straight. We sailed out of San Francisco and, for the first 31 days, all charges were in USD. Once we got to Australia/New Zealand all charges were in AUD. Princess plainly spells out that charges will be in AUD. OBC is also in AUD which meant that we received significantly less value for the OBC. That is also plainly stated by Princess.

This is exactly what we've been told to expect for 60 days on Crown from SF to Sydney and then around Oz and back to Sydney.  USD on the first leg, AUD on the 2nd.

7 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Every cruise we've taken in Australia and New Zealand (on both Princess and Celebrity) has used USD onboard.

AUD for Princess cruises departing from Australia and NZ.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

That must be a fairly recent change.

Been that way since I've been cruising from 2012. So not a recent change at all. Note these are for cruises departing from Australian or NZ ports for Princess, Carnival Australia, PO Australia cruises. All have AUD.

Celebrity and Royal Carribean, HAL, Norweign charge USD on board. Hence why I tend not to cruise with these lines out of NZ/Australian ports. Cause it makesa difference.

Edited by icat2000
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

I’m not sure when you cruised with Princess but the onboard currency is AUD according to their website and that was the case for us last year. Shore excursions were also in AUD pre-cruise.

Edited by Torfamm

Our ship was delayed getting into Sydney due to ocean currents which slowed us down.  That, coupled with the fact that every passenger and their luggage had to be thoroughly examined before leaving the terminal, (due to passengers constantly taking food off the ship at our different ports) also slowed us down and with taking a cab to the airport, we barely made it to the gate for our 12:15 flight.  You never know what circumstances would delay a ship's arrival and we have since always made it a practice to take a late day flight (if there is one) or stay overnight so that stress would not affect our otherwise perfect holiday.

• Like 1

Onboard charges were in AUD last year on our cruise. This led to a problem when I tried to book the non alcohol drink package. We don't drink alcohol or coffee and can survive with one shared wifi connection. For these reasons we don't book the plus fares. Problem was Princess charged the package price which was in AUD as USD. No amount of explanation to the rep and providing links to Princess showing the correct USD price could correct this. Ended up cancelling and just paying for what we wanted on board. Enjoy your trip, we had a fabulous time. We could have easily made an 11 AM flight.

On 8/16/2024 at 11:59 AM, azbirdmom said:

On the Royal last December the currency was AUD.  If it's just extra tips above the autotip that you're worried about the crew will be happy to accept USD.

We did take an 11 AM flight out of Sydney and got there in plenty of time.  We did leave our luggage out the night before and were in the first group to disembark.  We walked to the train at Circular Quay and took that to the airport.  So quick and we actually got to the airport before check in opened.  It's flat all the way and there are elevators at Circular Quay so as long as you're able to easily walk this is the fastest and most economical way to get to the airport.  You don't need to buy tickets in advance, you simply tap your credit card at the gates to the train.

Thanks for your response...I was on the Royal last December...very nice  ship...would love to return however, it's looking like our dates for the Crown will fit with our airfare options to using miles, but I'm watching the fares daily...have not yet booked.... 

I usually  purchase 4 device internet plan prior to sailing @50% off with platinum discount, and pre pay tips prior to sailing, but if the on board charges are in Australian dollars, it seems to make sense to pay on board instead.  I usually tip the cabin steward  a little extra above the auto tip, so it's good to know that the crew will be happy with USD.