Pros & Cons: Have you ever taken the same cruise a second time?

lackcreativity

We’ve talked about doing another Viking expedition cruise to Antarctica… loved it so much the first time (Feb 23) but wonder if doing the same trip again would measure up!  

We also enjoyed In Search of the Northern Lights but didn’t see the lights (so disappointing).  No guarantees we’d see them on a second cruise (that would be really disappointing!).

As a person who lives for sea days, I'm a trans-Atlantic addict. The glorious ship is my destination & floating Zen palace at sea. Bermuda is my favorite tropical beach destination/itinerary. The ship becomes the in port hotel. Of my eight Viking Ocean cruises four have been trans-Atlantic, four have been Bermuda. What a wonderful summer 2021 was when Viking Orion was in Bermuda! I wish Viking would do an annual season in Bermuda. Perfect match of cruise line & destination. 

• Like 4

we've lived in Miami and Cape Canaveral for several years <each> and taken the same 3 or 4 day cruises many times as the cost is small when you live so close to the ports. In our Miami years, the Mrs was 'gifted' cruise tickets so often thru work that the Capt started introducing us on 'crew night'!!!!

And if you research Disney you'll see many REPEAT customers .... they don't go that many places ... suggesting a 'repeat'

• Like 2

On 8/17/2024 at 1:19 PM, deec said:

We have done the River Cruise Grand European twice ( second time was combined for the European Sojourn) and loved it!   I think you can find different excursions and would re enjoy favorite places especially if no New cruise itinerary really interests you.  there are many I would repeat but probably have a few new that I want to do first.

So have we; in 2019 we went from Amsterdam to Budapest, traveled with one of my brothers and his wife; the 2nd time last October, we went from Budapest to Amsterdam, this time with two of my brothers and their wives. 

The only thing was that last October the water was low and we had to do a ship swap, but Viking more than made up for it by giving us all future cruise vouchers.

We did the Italy, the Adriatic and Greece ocean cruise in 2021, and we're repeating it, but adding the week before and week after, so that we'll repeat the middle 2 weeks, but this time go from Barcelona all the way to Istanbul. 

So we're repeating that cruise as well!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, longterm said:

We did the Italy, the Adriatic and Greece ocean cruise in 2021, and we're repeating it, but adding the week before and week after, so that we'll repeat the middle 2 weeks, but this time go from Barcelona all the way to Istanbul. 

We completed the entire Barcelona to Istanbul route, in two halves. The first half of that trip (the Barcelona to Venice portion), is the one I might want to repeat. There are so many different excursions to try!

We loved Iceland so much, that we plan to go back there again.  This time after finishing in Reykjavik, we'll rent a car and drive the Ring Road and spend a week really seeing things!  The cruises to Iceland were wondeful but just enough, as expected, to whet our appetite - so wouldn't mind doing it again.  

• Like 4

18 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We loved Iceland so much, that we plan to go back there again.  This time after finishing in Reykjavik, we'll rent a car and drive the Ring Road and spend a week really seeing things!  The cruises to Iceland were wondeful but just enough, as expected, to whet our appetite - so wouldn't mind doing it again.  

18 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Having already seen Iceland on a cruise, just fly in, rent a car, and drive. Get a good map and research where you want to stop.  It takes approximately 30 hours to drive the ring road.  Figure driving 4-5 hrs a day, stop to see the attractions and enjoy local cuisine, and book hotels along the way.  It should be a great trip. 

• Like 1

Kent,  your post makes me happy we are doing the longer cruise around Iceland although we will miss the Faroe Islands.  I sure hope our timing will ensure some Puffin photos when they have the orange bill.  When are you doing an Iceland cruise again?  i don't see it listed in your signature.

3 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Having already seen Iceland on a cruise, just fly in, rent a car, and drive. Get a good map and research where you want to stop.  It takes approximately 30 hours to drive the ring road.  Figure driving 4-5 hrs a day, stop to see the attractions and enjoy local cuisine, and book hotels along the way.  It should be a great trip. 

We did have this cruise booked and cancelled it because we decided that from Toronto it would be much better to do exactly as you have outlined above.

On 8/23/2024 at 2:50 PM, lackcreativity said:

We completed the entire Barcelona to Istanbul route, in two halves. The first half of that trip (the Barcelona to Venice portion), is the one I might want to repeat. There are so many different excursions to try!

We loved the 3rd leg too--through Croatia--we loved Dubrovnik, Kotor, and enjoyed seeing Athens for our first time. We've been to France quite a bit, but not to Barcelona, so that'll be a great new destination for us. I played a music festival in Montpelier in 1996 and again in 1997, and look forward to returning to the city, which I really liked. 

We picked March so that we could miss the biggest crowds, and also because the weather will be on the cool side. When we were in Delphi in 2022, it snowed that day... 

• Like 2