Not-quite-Live < limited > cruise journal: QE (Q427) Alaska cruise: 10 night, 30 Aug – 9 Sep 2024 plus Vancouver pre & post

mking8288

Moving along, a busy week ahead of our trip ... pickup our Rx refills last week and packing our usual OTC meds a/k/a medicine kit for 2 weeks, and extras just in case we get "diverted" unexpectedly or "stranded" somewhere along.  Worst come to worst, get a one-way Hertz rental & drive cross-country, LOL (definitely not by choice ... should call our annual travel insurance concierge desk to ask "what if" and will our premier coverage reimburse)  Older folks (we might look 10 years younger than our age, but) gotta have our vitamins & pills daily to stay healthy, right.  Update our TeleDoc profile, schedule and pay our bills coming up, haircuts ... empty out freezer food - cook & eat lighter now (goal is to "not" gain weight on this cruise, really)   Primary doctor said go enjoy this cruise vacation, CT scan results are back & okay, nothing with "alert" values in the report so he'll see me next month, their group still waiting & recommend getting the seasonal / annual flu shot and guidance to hold now for new C19 booster formula later ... just be careful & mask up, if & when.  Postponed the next dental procedure too (yay - I can eat, carefully)   Cardiologist appointment, that I'll keep for the "routine" follow-up, healthy heart to not miss a single beat.  Think "Stayin' Alive" (Bee Gees) 

Screenshot_20240817_095107.thumb.jpg.b1567efade1a20815108708c349dc734.jpg

Plus, load/add details to Google Calendar with POI so that Android Auto in the rental minivan will, hopefully, just work fine to help navigate, and, touch base with the SuperHost at the AirBnB on smart self-check in instructions by the weekend.  Getting more comfortable these days using Linux OS / built on the good old Dell PC's instead of throwing them away to add to eWaste for sanitation to haul to landfills ... M$ not helping to scare folks to stop Windows 10 as EOL isn't until Oct 2025, more than 14 months away.  

PXL_20240729_203341329.thumb.jpg.7b4845a658e8207d95bc1513bb90432f.jpg

Memory lanes - turned around, amazed at how technologies progressed and changed in just 15, 16 years - a lot has evolved.  Remember those Blackberry then ... was a believer in Motorola's and they still stand behind their products.  Alaska cruising in 2008, a 3G cellular (CDMA) signal on Verizon's then EVDO wireless partner's network, T-Mobile & Sprint devices were not as fortunate - minimal to no coverage ...  Had the Motorola Q9c (2.4" screen) with MS Mobile 6.x OS, the pre-iPhone & pre-Android era.  Can't remember if the cabin's ethernet port was working or not ... metered, by the minutes used.  

Collage_2024-08-18_09_33_35.thumb.jpg.101c244fbbdf5eac00fe4b619a4ab7b9.jpg

On sea days, will likely pay for 24 hours' worth of Starlink WiFi from the ship to stay connected, using OBC - still cheaper than NCL's pricing.  Fellow NCL'ers, will be running some speed test to compare benchmarked data & results.  Lately, feedback from ships like the Jewel aren't that great, I've been "fortunate" and lucky thus far - could that be the hardware configurations ??  Will find out soon. 

Port days and while docked, and as long as we pick up a good T-Mobile (roaming is fine, no extra cost or charge from/for our plan) - more ways to be near "Live" to update as I can.  That is the plan for now.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Meanwhile, where is the QE now - tracking and watching her moves on CruiseMapper App

Screenshot_20240819_121006_CruiseMapper.thumb.jpg.d07601f3b24c57535dd00dcf2be1693e.jpg

Among other minor reasons we pick this itinerary, we get a good 6 to 7+ hours, afternoon to evening at Victoria, BC Island en route back to Port. 

Last time, only 4 hours at Prince Rupert - the "Norwegian Way" and not much to-do, see or otherwise - more of a technical stop 🙄 to comply 😉 

Collage_2024-08-19_12_34_32.thumb.jpg.d78bc9e169683f0bd4e48503f63f3d85.jpg

Not visiting this place again ... I know, others might be disappointed ☹️  There is really a lot more to see, do and explore in Victoria, BC.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Thanks and hey, I am in trouble already for being here and not there ... felt like home schooling in primary all over, reading & learning (trying) to pick up the vibes, do's and don't to minimize stepping on sea mines like not packing at least a dark blazer or suit jacket ( it fit me, barely, once again 😆😆😊 )   Can't "afford" to go to afternoon tea everyday or else, don't think I can squeeze into coach seat on United flying home. 

Twin nieces were on the Getaway, Caribbean this past winter and you are so right, to get their 💭 thoughts & impressions, more so than their uncle Henry's biased opinions ...  Read somewhere that even Cunard's passengers are trending younger to 55 - 60's and, chats about ...

I am pretty sure we'll feel like being spoiled later next week onboard.  Scanning thru this board, it's deja vue like being on Norwegian, going to try to steer clear of silly comments and chair / lounge hogs - a more civilized cruise is what is on the wish list.  Late seating for dinner so that I don't have to hold my party for 20 to 30 minutes "freestyle" before we get a table to sit, just not Kosher.  Maybe that was just the Prima class ships 😳

Won't help ya in telling the Haven (Grill) or YC butler & concierge experience, or the bar 🍻 specials, and they don't have Starbucks (right, not that I am a fan of ...) - rather assorted British tea selections.  Will try if, just ask. 

We got more thunderstorms coming out way today ... will look out our B737 windows if we fly near your neck of the woods, probably closer near @graphicguy's barn - wishing Dan speedy recovery from replacement "procedure" over the weekend & that, is, major op in my dictionary, knowing that he's cool and calm.  

We had a few downpours last night as we drove home from Syracuse and it rained quite hard today in Utica. I'm hoping some of the rain decided to invigorate our newly planted orchard trees - those peaches, apples, nectarines, and cherries have had quite the dry summer. We still haven't repaired the irrigation line - have to work on that and putting up a new anti-deer fence. They're like the hurdle Olympians - can hop anything!!

I do believe I'd enjoy the Cunard experience. That's why I'm so curious about your trip, though to your point, it'll be in the Queens Grill when we do finally break down the mental anguish as donning a tie (no Lion Pub for me - OOOOO the mascot, just put it together!!!!). 

But, seriously, I do hope you'll enjoy all, including the harpist. I do enjoy listening to those angelic strings being plucked. 

I do insist you go to afternoon tea on at least one occasion. Also, don't mind me. But if you do, please let us know all about it! My only sadness is they do not carry Lapsang Souchong. I'll be bringing my own along whenever we sail on one of the queen's of England. 

• Like 1

@cruiseny4life Great to hear all is fine in your neighborhood from storm damages.  News flash, governor just announced disaster assistance coming in xx number of upstate counties, good !  

I'm sure you can (should) look into TA partner discounts, if & when.  Classical music & instruments are fine here, all about relaxation.  Definitely going to afternoon tea, one of the included reasons to sail Cunard - our agent had us waitlist for early seating for dinner; and, I move all of us to late seating (8:30 PM) so we can do finger sandwiches, pastries, scones, jam spread and for "Sugar" ... check out whether it is real clotted cream on board (hahaha) in exchange for her promise of "behaving"   That's what good neighbors and friends are for ... don't know about taking them off the ship & bring them back to NY, if / can - without getting into trouble, most likely won't "survive" the next day while waiting to continue for onward flight at the airport to get home, end up "eating" what's left myself. 

I won't go out of the way to look for hash browns and/or cookies, and I'm all excited for smoked salmon, definitely planning to order it for breakfast room service, free of charges & sit out / by the balcony to take in the views.  

The more I think, read and discovered, this is going to be a great cruise.  Following @YVRteacher's month long Princess journey live & seeing her photos telling the stories, I now believe that we really must and need to expand beyond NCL. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

and for "Sugar" ... check out whether it is real clotted cream on board (hahaha) in exchange for her promise of "behaving"   That's what good neighbors and friends are for ... don't know about taking them off the ship & bring them back to NY, if / can - without getting into trouble, most likely won't "survive" the next day while waiting to continue for onward flight at the airport to get home, end up "eating" what's left myself. 

Goodness...I certainly would not want you to be placed on the Do Not Fly list over clotted cream...so please be discreet. 😅🤣

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

check out whether it is real clotted cream on board

It varies. Sometimes it is and other times it's a very nice cream but not clotted.

Not sure if anyone has figured out a pattern of when they do have it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few thoughts/bits of info: [All of this info was accurate as of last summer on the QE and last fall on the QM2.]

• All cabins have tea kettles with supplies.  Cookies/biscuits included.
  • Robes and slippers in all cabins.
  • All cabins get a welcome bottle of sparkling wine.
  • The Golden Lion Pub on the QE serves both lunch and dinner.
  • In addition to the specialty restaurant The Verandah - dinner all evenings and lunch on sea days - there are pop-up restaurants in a section of the buffet. Last year in Alaska, there were Alaskan and Indian restaurants.  All of these restaurants are an additional charge.
  • Although not on the menu in the Britannia dining room - also known as the main dining room - there are some anytime items such as a chicken breast, salmon, etc. for less adventurous eaters. Have to ask for these items.
  • If eating in the dining room, you can order espresso, cappuccino, & latte coffees for no extra charge.  These coffees are not individually made as those you get for an extra charge but they are decent.
  • All Cunard ships have libraries with "real" books.  
  • There will be dancing just about every night.
  • The naturalist onboard last summer was very informative in her talks & at her "question & answer" sessions.
  • Check out the guest lecturers.  They are a mixed bag depending on their presentation skills but we have always found most of them to be interesting.
  • In-cabin TV offerings are more limited than on other lines.  The sports channels are usually UK/European feeds.
  • Even though there will be many North Americans onboard, Cunard will be more oriented to UK travelers than you may have experienced on other cruises.  If you enjoy trivia, you will want to have an "international" team. 
  • Cunard crew can sometimes be more reserved than on other cruise lines.  
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@Desert Cruisers - much, much appreciated for this concise summary in framing what we can and should look forward to, thank you (along with those from N.E. John) for these important "orientations"   Tomorrow, we get ready for the single digit dance at T minus 10 days - DW and nieces getting excited about enjoying these. 

Okay, the NCL "gang" is coming over to look under the hood and it seems like, they won't toss me into the swimming pool next time when they see us onboard, all eagerly waiting to hear first hand reporting & photos  (yes, I am also going to bring the good old Olympus digital camera w an extra battery ... not feeling the urge to spend money on a GoPro action-cam)  

I understood, from reading the forum's frequent Q&A, that we can bring wine & alcohol onboard (1 bottle, or more, per person for in-cabin sipping without a tiny ransom ... going to the dining room, reasonable corkage fee is fair & appropriate - not that we drink alcohol or buy packages, etc.) on a good-to-know basis.  We can also bring our own soda & juices and bottled (municipal) water to drink, at reasonable quantity, of course - keep the ones during our land stay & refill from buffet stations on the ship, using a clean cup)  Collapsible water bottles get to stay "home" to keep the luggage, on the lighter side.  

Will do our part to meet & respect the after-6 dinner dress code ... probably not going to have a white dinner tux for the gala, that's fine & we'll go to the Lido, no problem.  

This is really, really helpful - sincerely appreciated.  Thanks again.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

probably not going to have a white dinner tux for the gala, that's fine & we'll go to the Lido, no problem.

Why would you need a white tux?

Gala attire is tux (any colour) or dark lounge suit with tie. Ice White is a theme, which is optional.

• Thanks 1

@D&N  Oh, thanks - newbie on Cunard & reading the written guidelines published for themed / gala dinner - 2 of those evenings, one is White themed ... under the impression that white tux is expected.  It is acceptable to wear a black or dark suit (more along the line of a black suit jacket that I haven't worn in years, fit okay as long as I don't button up (too tight, hahaha)  Do have solid white shirts, ties & still hunting for the old bow ties - old black cummerbund still around (hopefully, fit as it was adjustable)   If that's fine & acceptable, we can head to MDR for our late seating.  Thanks. 

• Like 5

Absolutely no requirement to follow the suggested attire for gala themes. Some people really get into the themes but not necessary to do so.

The Alaska sailings are less formal than other itineraries such as the transatlantic voyages on the QM2 where you will see a lot more tuxedos and gowns.  That doesn't mean it's "anything is okay".  Most passengers follow the dress rules in the dining room and around the ship. There are exceptions but those folks are in the minority.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Desert Cruisers said:

Absolutely no requirement to follow the suggested attire for gala themes. Some people really get into the themes but not necessary to do so.

The Alaska sailings are less formal than other itineraries such as the transatlantic voyages on the QM2 where you will see a lot more tuxedos and gowns.  That doesn't mean it's "anything is okay".  Most passengers follow the dress rules in the dining room and around the ship. There are exceptions but those folks are in the minority.

The majority  of passengers ignore the Gala themes but it’s still expected chaps wear 'Gala Wear' which is a dark suit or what we call, Black Tie this side of  the pond for the majority of the areas around the ship although, you won't be thrown out of the theatre etc if not in 'Gala Wear' or made to walk the plank if wandering around.

Having a few Alaska cruises to our name but the last one being well over a decade ago,  I shall be interested in 'Alaska Today'.

Have fun and I hope Cunard exceeds expectations. Just don’t expect a plate of smoked salmon to be on the room service breakfast menu. It comes in a 'coil' atop a dollop of scrambled eggs! 😀

Edited by Victoria2
room service
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Have fun and I hope Cunard exceeds expectations. Just don’t expect a plate of smoked salmon to be on the room service breakfast menu. It comes in a 'coil' atop a dollop of scrambled eggs! 😀

I admit I haven’t had room service breakfast since I was confined last year, but I was certainly able to order plates of smoked salmon for breakfast then, as well as in the restaurant. If that has really gone, I shall begin to join those who claim that Cunard has gone downhill ever since they scrapped the first Mauritania. 😀

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I admit I haven’t had room service breakfast since I was confined last year, but I was certainly able to order plates of smoked salmon for breakfast then, as well as in the restaurant. If that has really gone, I shall begin to join those who claim that Cunard has gone downhill ever since they scrapped the first Mauritania. 😀

Room service breakfast was a coil of smoked salmon on the QA a couple of weeks ago, I'm sorry to report! No scrambled eggs, though, and when uncoiled, it was a decent portion, and it came with a variety of other smoked fish. Hopefully that'll be enough to stop you decamping to another line, harrumphing all the way?

Edited by Clewgarnet
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

Room service breakfast was a coil of smoked salmon on the QA a couple of weeks ago, I'm sorry to report! No scrambled eggs, though, and when uncoiled, it was a decent portion, and it came with a variety of other smoked fish. Hopefully that'll be enough to stop you decamping to another line, harrumphing all the way?

Yes, that is fine. I know the dish you mean. Just so long as eggs aren’t involved.
Mind you, the thing with Cunard discontents is they do the harrumphing, and then go off and book another world cruise. 😀

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

Two coils with scrambled eggs on our QA  room service menu and you're quite right. A decent amount.

No harrumphing [love that word] required.

When we breakfasted in the restaurant, if I asked for a plate of S.S., I'd get enough to feed an army.

Not asked for it on room service but I guess I could if I wanted.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Two coils with scrambled eggs on our QA  room service menu and you're quite right. A decent amount.

No harrumphing [love that word] required.

When we breakfasted in the restaurant, if I asked for a plate of S.S., I'd get enough to feed an army.

Not asked for it on room service but I guess I could if I wanted.

must add this was in QG and I have a plate of S.S. as a lunch order occasionally. No idea if it's available elsewhere apart from the Lido/buffet/Kings Court etc.

Don't ask, don't get so worth an ask.

• Like 2

Just now, Victoria2 said:

must add this was in QG and I have a plate of S.S. as a lunch order occasionally. No idea if it's available elsewhere apart from the Lido/buffet/Kings Court etc.

Don't ask, don't get so worth an ask.

And always worth writing additions on the breakfast menu. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And always worth writing additions on the breakfast menu. 

Def.

My daily addition is 'brown sauce' for my bacon and eggs! 🙂

and when I forget, the butler doesn't so I get it anyway. I've stopped asking for jam doughnuts as I started getting them every day with the breakfast order and I am SO weak willed, I ate them!  ☹️

• Haha 2

Wait, Station Zebra now includes underwears/boxers?  I'm confused.

Have you used Station Zebra to tri-calculate grow operation water needs since double normal length trip plus new plant?

February MSC looking more likely as we are down to two MSC Me Diffusers.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Wait, Station Zebra now includes underwears/boxers?  I'm confused.

Have you used Station Zebra to tri-calculate grow operation water needs since double normal length trip plus new plant?

February MSC looking more likely as we are down to two MSC Me Diffusers.

Do we have any translators?  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, NE John said:

2) There’s more than just a decent tea selection. The speciality coffees and hot chocolate at Cafe Carinthia, Commodore Club, etc are outstanding and blow away Starbucks. Especially in Alaska, try the Viennese coffee at Carinthia. . A++.

I wanted to highlight this suggestion because the Viennese coffee is indeed excellent.

As others have mentioned you can write things on the room service breakfast card (within reason obviously) and they'll try their best to get it to you. I like to add corned beef hash to my breakfast and it's always appeared. The room service staff probably just get some from the buffet or the MDR galleys.

I'm in my 30s so if you want to ask any 'young people' questions I'll try to remember what I see other people my age doing!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Having a few Alaska cruises to our name but the last one being well over a decade ago,  I shall be interested in 'Alaska Today'.

Gala Nights two months ago were generally well adhered to and I don’t agree that Alaska is that much less formal than a QM2 Crossing. There were, as usual, some pax flaunting the dress code with little enforcement. 
As for @mking8288, think about buying an inexpensive tux because you may use it on more Cunard voyages. Knowing time is short for that, a regular dark suit/tie works well for Gala nights and you may see more guys than you are used to in sport jackets/blazers on Smart Attire nights. The atmosphere after six is not stuffy or like an old moldy PBS show so try your best and enjoy. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, NE John said:

Gala Nights two months ago were generally well adhered to and I don’t agree that Alaska is that much less formal than a QM2 Crossing. There were, as usual, some pax flaunting the dress code with little enforcement. 
As for @mking8288, think about buying an inexpensive tux because you may use it on more Cunard voyages. Knowing time is short for that, a regular dark suit/tie works well for Gala nights and you may see more guys than you are used to in sport jackets/blazers on Smart Attire nights. The atmosphere after six is not stuffy or like an old moldy PBS show so try your best and enjoy. 

Glad to hear that there wasn't much of a difference on your recent sailing.  It wasn't our experience last year when we spent 20 days on the QE in Alaska.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Good morning ... just want to acknowledge the helpful advice, tips, suggestions, ideas and expertise of all here, without quoting & responding one by one, to try to keep it concise & short (LOL, we "shall" see about that & for those that knew better from previous "Semi / Live" post)

@D&N @Desert Cruisers @exlondoner @Clewgarnet @tacticalbanjo and @Victoria2 

Thanks ... thank you, appreciated and much obliged for all you do to bring "us" up to speed with the virtual orientation, or else we'll be lost souls wondering onboard, trying to figure out which way (used to NCL with the swimming fish on the carpet) to the atrium, Lido & Queens Room for afternoon tea.  Haven't seen any DIY, self-service laundry on a moving ship in like 20 years, let alone free with comp'd detergent & dryer sheets, that isn't out of service..  

As for smoked salmon in a coil, that'll bring a smile to my face - don't need a plate full of them unless there isn't something else as option for lunch or breakfast, doubtful that is true with Cunard.  Most recently with NCL, it is a single roll of s.s. and onion rings sometimes omitted on a a dessert plate with a half bagel ... that, is, pathetic as far as cutbacks (cost savings) go - the grass isn't necessary greener and we are going to see for ourselves shortly.  

Now, I have a better understanding of the desired, suggested, recommended & "minimum" after-6 and gala/themed night dress code for men / gentlemen ... ladies & women are easy, easier I should say as they always have a collection of dressy, party & evening wear/gowns appropriate for upscale dining.  I will wear a pair of Bermuda shorts (kilts are okay, right ... just kidding) during the day, although, weather-wise ... doesn't look like I should or need - maybe,  Bow tie from Amazon on its way, didn't find the old one from 20+ years ago, cummerbund dusted off, 2 set of ties and a dark black'ish blazer/suit set coming onboard plus white shirts ... and dark color dress/walking shoes to blend in & match.  Face mask for the other themed evening still outstanding, maybe will need to be innovative with something homemade.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1