Not-quite-Live < limited > cruise journal: QE (Q427) Alaska cruise: 10 night, 30 Aug – 9 Sep 2024 plus Vancouver pre & post

mking8288

Don't get too excited about breakfast from  room service.

Food is great but non Grills cabins don't have a dining table and I'm not sure a coffee table will be big enough to be laid out as in the photo.

edit

and in our experience on the Vistas, only the top two QG grades have a dining table.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Don't get too excited about breakfast from room service ...

Thanks, understood ... as long as it's as nice as steerage on NCL (see below) with a cafeteria tray on a single stool, not even a small coffees table (no room to fit one). We did manage to bring in the micro, metal end-table from the balcony, it helped.  Otherwise, eating off the laps 😆

PXL_20240510_071126473.thumb.jpg.f28bd57c5862c48e4abd565c34af9d36.jpg

@dexddd  Hahaha, great suggestions except no cigar here (will worsen respiratory conditions, yours truly)  - against medical advice given with latest check-up.  And, ER-nurse nephew just reminded us to pack some masks (in addition to the party ones)   Jury in vacation mode, hasn't deliberate at all, can't "vote" on the Playlist but maybe, after the RC cruise later next month.  Haven't reach the point of abandoning (NCL) ships yet - still got a little bit of love to "Escape" late winter ... and next Fall's "Breakaway"  I say think of us as octopus, tentacles stretching and flexing.  Pretty easy to please, mostly go with the flow.  

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

@dexddd  Hahaha, great suggestions except no cigar here (will worsen respiratory conditions, yours truly)  - against medical advice given with latest check-up.  And, ER-nurse nephew just reminded us to pack some masks (in addition to the party ones)   Jury in vacation mode, hasn't deliberate at all, can't "vote" on the Playlist but maybe, after the RC cruise later next month.  Haven't reach the point of abandoning (NCL) ships yet - still got a little bit of love to "Escape" late winter ... and next Fall's "Breakaway"  I say think of us as octopus, tentacles stretching and flexing.  Pretty easy to please, mostly go with the flow.  

I hope you folks have a wonderful adventure.

• Thanks 1

@www3traveler  Mandy ... thank you, rest assured we are going to do all we can to enjoy.  Pacific NW's wildfire, smoke & haze, dam flooding, earthquakes, landslides, and "adverse" weather, etc. aren't going to stop us, maybe put a damper.  Let's just say we'll dance in the rain.  

2 hours ago, techteach said:

Highly recommend taking masks and tests. 

Friendly reminder noted and appreciated, immunized & boosted and yet we have caught the bugs before.  Always take personal responsibilities & precautions.  Packing accordingly along with other things ... thankfully, our shelfed "strategic stockpile" good on inventory of test kits.  Checked spinners shared between DW and I is packed full at 49.75 lbs - these will be carry-on items (minus the boxes) 

Collage_2024-08-24_22_24_55.thumb.jpg.9ef3f982d5fb4e0e19e37c3af1b6aac4.jpg

As long as ships take reasonable measures to clean, sanitize and enforce proper hand wash, and follow best practices ... we'll just have to do our part to minimize health risks.  Been on vessels with the nasty norovirus outbreak, yeah.  

Flying and shuttle transfers ... places that we consider hotspots, red alert; and, mask up for our own protections.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Friendly reminder noted and appreciated, immunized & boosted and yet we have caught the bugs before. 

I almost wish I could catch covid now to get it out of the way before the October TA. Past two years I caught covid on the ship in October so I would say my chances are high for a three-peat. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Shared (with DW) 24" Samsonite expandable spinners - closed & Airtagged, ready for United Air. 

3 medium compression bags (including heavier 3-season/winter wear for Alaska) plus 2 other smaller packing cubes ... several pair of shoes, black suit and liquid that exceed 3-1-1 allowances, plus misc. 

Cost for this (up to 50 lbs/23 kg) - UA charging US$35 prepaid 24 hours+ prior, as checked bag thru to YVR and on the return @ CA$35 (about US$25 converted)

20240824_125407.thumb.jpg.19d8f94eaae02f7d69038445ac1c57f0.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

... almost wish I could catch covid now to get it out of the way before the October TA. 

Heck, no !  Nope, you do NOT and should not wish to catch, the current & newest variants are highly contagious.  Unless you then remain highly "isolated" - the risks to share & pass that along to someone else, dear & close to you, i.e. your folks at home, etc. etc. 

Just hang tight, called my PCP earlier and he said FDA just approved the new formulary and the boosters should be in the distribution pipelines soon - said, most likely I should be able to stop at his practice in between the next 2 cruises to get the booster (been too busy to catch up on the clinical details of this year's options, i.e. combo C19 vax & annual flu as a single dose for ...)

Meanwhile, just check your inventory of masks and have some KN95 and KF94's around for travel & while on trains, buses - doing B2B TA pausing in between meant you already minimized the odds of catching it while flying or whatever for those long-haul flights.  Of course, our dancing girl got to party after dinner onboard and you just gotta be careful & try to do all the right things ... Perhaps, already enough natural immunity within the body to protect yourself. 

20240824_212049.thumb.jpg.b9402828fd1f5dac9ac605d17bd0595a.jpg

Susan was just looking at me, where are YOU going to put these (while I'm trying to organize & sort out, which goes where) ... as in there is still room in the luggage.  Remember, haha ... multi-pocketed travel vest.  Going to wear the dark one this time, less conspicuous under the jacket, no matter where (test kits are expiring soon ... might as well pack them, use it for self-screening like the last TA)  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Heck, no !  Nope, you do NOT and should not wish to catch, the current & newest variants are highly contagious.  Unless you then remain highly "isolated"

Yes I spend most of my life in isolation so I would not expose anyone if I were infected. The problem with being isolated from everyone most of the year is that I have no immunities and easily catch covid on the ship! 😅 And, this was after getting the booster twice. I'm doomed.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

40 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Shared (with DW) 24" Samsonite expandable spinners - closed & Airtagged, ready for United Air. 

3 medium compression bags (including heavier 3-season/winter wear for Alaska) plus 2 other smaller packing cubes ... several pair of shoes, black suit and liquid that exceed 3-1-1 allowances, plus misc. 

Cost for this (up to 50 lbs/23 kg) - UA charging US$35 prepaid 24 hours+ prior, as checked bag thru to YVR and on the return @ CA$35 (about US$25 converted)

This is when I am thankful to have smaller clothes and shoes. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I am thankful to have smaller clothes and shoes. 😁

Ya "telling" others as I know, we know 😉 ... and being 10 lbs lighter doesn't really make a difference, size 13W dress shoes took up a lot of luggage space - maybe, I will end of wearing that on Tuesday vs. the walking/hiking shoes.  

One of the other nieces' family plus a group of friends left on the Symphony of the Seas last Sunday and their cruise is over ... 7 days, too short for our preference these days, they will be back to Cape Liberty by 9 AM this morning, if not sooner - ETA is 5 AM.  Breakaway is "flying" and burning fuel - sail to sustain, not on this run, maybe out of medical necessity, showing ETA of 2:15 doing almost 21 kts, fast approaching Ambrose Channel; and, USCG is supposed to be enforcing or requesting compliance with speed zone restrictions due to sightings of protected whale pods in the NE corridor.  Don't know what's going on with NCL's Starlink partnership enhancing and optimizing the onboard guest experience with satellite connectivity ... those on the Jewel and Gem reporting serious issues & inability to use ship's WiFi (Jim has been trying as we know)   You might as well skip trying to do a Semi on the eastbound run, wait & then summarize with a post-crossing report/review ... and add your rich & colorful photos.  

P.S.  Good catch, fixed & corrected ... just in time. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

You might as well skip trying to do a Semi on the westbound run, wait & then summarize with a post-crossing report/review ... and add your rich & colorful photos.

Do you mean the eastbound TA? I will certainly try and see how far I can go as a Barely Live on that one. 😊 The two westbound TAs should be fine.

• Haha 1

T minus 5 to embarkation ... 

reminders popping up and out at us, left & right, and alerts via mobile devices ... 2 more days, really.  Will be up by 4 AM to get ready, take a short ride over to nearby LGA Airport's Terminal B for our United flights, bag drop & check-in at the counter, go thru TSA and hangout briefly until our turn to board the B737Max8 ... been "monitoring" for changes, revised flight times & other unexpected; and, all is good.  Reconfirming with the AirBnB Superhost about our afternoon check-in on Tuesday, all is fine with our Hertz rental ... (taking "bets" among ourselves, the color of our assigned minivan at YVR)   Weather ahead for this week looking good, expecting a smooth trip to go across & into Canada.  

Collage_2024-08-24_18_07_56.thumb.jpg.008639f05e5ee61952ac462015a1c004.jpg

Out of curiosity, off-season B&B rental in the Vancouver area, very good - once the Alaska cruise season wind ... maybe, we'll consider a winter retreat and use miles to fly, just a thought.  Nice rentals and a good # of them highly rated.  

20240824_162803.thumb.jpg.4f8ff96f9fcb140d4e882633fe55923e.jpg

Pixel & Samsung smartphones are ready to do turn-by-turn navigation to Canada Place Cruise Terminal ... set & programmed, saved.  Only about 45 hours worth of driving to get there, involving tolls ... not sure if fuel & restroom stops, border crossing ... part of the ETA shown as calculated.    

Can't wait to get this underway ... okay, schedule ahead and pay all the bills first since we'll be gone for (only) half-a-month.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

As long as ships take reasonable measures to clean, sanitize and enforce proper hand wash, and follow best practices ... we'll just have to do our part to minimize health risks.  Been on vessels with the nasty norovirus outbreak, yeah.  

I have found that Cunard do what they can to keep the ship clean, unfortunately the weakest link will always be the passengers who  don't / won't sanitise when they have the opportunity or need to, I have lost count of the number of times I have I have seen passengers dismiss some poor crew member trying to offer  hand gel on entry to the buffet. As you say we all need to do our part, its just that some are more willing that others

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Poole Boy said:

I have found that Cunard do what they can to keep the ship clean, unfortunately the weakest link will always be the passengers who  don't / won't sanitise when they have the opportunity or need to, I have lost count of the number of times I have I have seen passengers dismiss some poor crew member trying to offer  hand gel on entry to the buffet. As you say we all need to do our part, its just that some are more willing that others

and there will be some passengers, such as myself who will not use the hand sanitizers as our skin breaks out.

In fact, in '22 when Covid wasn't such a distant memory, I went down to the Medical Centre as 'my' eczema experienced a grand flare up and stupidly, I'd left my extremely potent steroid ointment at home as skin was in remission.

On doctors orders,and armed with some Betnovate [didn't have the top of the range stuff  I have at home] I skipped all future attempts to be sanitised and used good old soap and water which in fact, is far more effective.

Got some very dark looks from fellow passengers though.

Soap and water and don't touch your face. Won't have too much effect over Covid but will over noro etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Soap and water and don't touch your face. Won't have too much effect over Covid

Worked for us for 4 years and 7 months.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2024 at 11:27 AM, mking8288 said:

Thanks, understood ... as long as it's as nice as steerage on NCL (see below) with a cafeteria tray on a single stool, not even a small coffees table (no room to fit one). We did manage to bring in the micro, metal end-table from the balcony, it helped.  Otherwise, eating off the laps 😆

PXL_20240510_071126473.thumb.jpg.f28bd57c5862c48e4abd565c34af9d36.jpg

Where are the beans?

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Where are the beans?

Well, not sure if I wrote on door hanger as add-on, beans ... ordered morning delivery twice ($5 + 20% to refresh your memory, free w Cunard) on the 15 nights TA.  Delivery, otherwise, met standards with a verbal apology - they did not have smoked salmon available per request.  I said fine, not his fault to end up getting short changed on cash tip recognition.  Rather have Edamame beans over baked beans, but will try Brits' breakfast beans as it's considered a tradition ... will get your info this weekend.  Pudding - how about that ?? 

Picked up color laser printed luggage tags from local UPS Store, about $1 a page (with 20% discount) on #28 paper stock ... those CC clear plastic luggage tag holders not really.  More economical than buying HP color inkjet toners guaranteed to dry out. 

Collage_2024-08-25_14_18_22.thumb.jpg.c936b1712592c8261252642ede3ade52.jpg

Interesting, Cunard instructions to coil them up, donut-like as a "roll" & either tape or staple them firmly together (clear & wide shipping/package tape should ... ) use for embarkation AND disembarkation.  Side note: a good idea, borrowing NCL's tagline under dirty Harry, to "sail & sustain" and fewer paper waste to recycle.  

• Like 1

Busy Sunday on the final countdown ... haircut already done.  All the reminders popping up, credit card "alerts" getting charged (Cunard has us ... making sure our credit (cards) are good & not max'd out (it isn't) 

Weather-wise, a great week ahead in Richmond & Vancouver, sunny & nice - daytime high in the 70's.  Perfect for sightseeing on our own ... uncle H should get a waiver for being the driver & tour guide and pay less /just kidding.  

Collage_2024-08-25_10_17_07.thumb.jpg.a9d88661176c932008b9235162c596e1.jpg

10 days ahead (AccuWeather) forecast for Ketchikan and Skagway (likely, Juneau) is damp, wet & clouds, showers & rain to be expected.  First Sea Day (2nd day - themed white / formal night ) and Endicott ... will adjust accordingly - with late dining time, we'll definitely be check out afternoon tea in the Queens Room.  Hopefully, get a break in weather by Hubbard Glacier cruising on Thursday and then next day at Sitka, plans to do whale watching.  Then, ship will be southbound to head back - full Saturday at sea ... tea time again for sure, and the 2nd themed white (masks are packed, ready) and finally, Sunday afternoon & evening at Victoria, BC (re-packing almost everything in the morning first) and then - morning disembarkation back at Canada Place.  

• Like 2

Tweaking settings on the Apps to enable push notifications and alerts.  UA's flight ops has been good this week ... fingers crossed.  Ours as booked and in the Allianz app ... not relying just upon United's app to alert us of surprises & changes - Flightaware is the "other" friend to track inbound flights - B78M typically comes in late from DEN & parked overnight at the gate overnight for servicing and as among first birds pushback at 06:59, minimal risk for delay, ATC ground stops or crew issues ... weather & systems failure, that's nothing we can do. 

Referencing these now as I will not post particulars en route, not going to use WiFi unless we are on the ground and not after "doors armed and cross-checked" already by FA's - devices going to Airplane mode until wheels down & taxiing toward the gate. 

Screenshot_20240825_111119.thumb.jpg.19fc1f6bb1d562bbf9657b516a67a125.jpg 

Screenshot_20240825_111132.thumb.jpg.f3da54424427428e38f269b0b806b6d6.jpg

• Like 2

In other "breaking (travel) news" - got this alert affecting SEAttle, including port operations and SEA airport(s) as unconfirmed cyber-attack, resulting in chaos & delays.  Hopefully, mitigated and addressed, fully restored promptly to minimize impact on our flights early Tuesday.  

Flying via DEN into YVR, perhaps this will have only minimal and zero impacts ... those heading into Seattle (airports & cruise ports) for (mainly) Alaska cruises yesterday & today, or leaving from there ... best of luck. 

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/potential-cyberattack-outage-continues-port-seattle-causing-chaos-sea/5TINHK6ZRNG7FPENJCNBVCST3Q/

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

In other "breaking (travel) news" - got this alert affecting SEAttle, including port operations and SEA airport(s) as unconfirmed cyber-attack, resulting in chaos & delays.  Hopefully, mitigated and addressed, fully restored promptly to minimize impact on our flights early Tuesday.  

Flying via DEN into YVR, perhaps this will have only minimal and zero impacts ... those heading into Seattle (airports & cruise ports) for (mainly) Alaska cruises yesterday & today, or leaving from there ... best of luck. 

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/potential-cyberattack-outage-continues-port-seattle-causing-chaos-sea/5TINHK6ZRNG7FPENJCNBVCST3Q/

We also spent three nights in Vancouver before our June QE voyage and one extra night in town after we got back to both explore the city and pad time for these types of events. I’m glad you’re doing the same thing!
FYI - Just be careful if you’re going into the downtown Chinatown/Gastown area. There is much open drug use creating a criminally malignant scene on several blocks around there. I work in NYC and lived in Brooklyn and DW grew up in Brooklyn; we have both have seen a lot and we were freaked out with how bad the drug and mental illness problem is around Chinatown. We braved it out though for some good dim sum. I feel bad for the Chinatown merchants having to deal with that condition. The rest of Vancouver is really appealing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@NE John  Appreciated and thanks, John for the heads up ... no strangers to Vancouver, since 1985-86, visited infrequently over the years.  Had flown into SEA, picked up rental car & drove across the border to see BC, island ferry & stayed overnight in Victoria, and our return long overdue with other priorities settled.  Used to like walking the streets of Gastown and lunch in old Chinatown and say, 15 or so years ago - DW freaked out when we drove the rental car to do lunch.  Without Apple CarPlay or Android Auto in those days, just good old Garmin GPS to navigate - turn the opposite away from the main east-west route & lord, felt like in the middle of Los Angeles or Bed-Stuy and we just kept going.  Stanley Park & surrounding waterfront are still okay from what I read & hear ... windows up & doors locked when I take my group on a quick "drive-by" so they can see for themselves.  

Hence, used to stay in downtown but not anymore, last 2 times in diverse & easy-going Richmond, and with a rental car - go anywhere, south or across Lions Gate to North & West Vancouver ... don't think we'll have time to drive up to Whistler.  

Cunarders and others first time visitors to Vancouver are surely going to be shocked and surprised, and that is not to badmouth BC, it's no different - sadly - than urban places in the Americas & elsewhere these days.  Blessed that we can and able to travel, cruise and see, with eyes opened and ears listening and can taste & smell the aroma.  Cheers !

• Like 4