Not-quite-Live < limited > cruise journal: QE (Q427) Alaska cruise: 10 night, 30 Aug – 9 Sep 2024 plus Vancouver pre & post

mking8288

Day 2 at sea ... 1 minute video clip (2nd. half w audio of music played by the live band)

10 AM Welcome reception at Queens Room for those new to Cunard - hosted & attended by senior officers & managerial team, etc.  - well attended, packing the space full ... several hundreds passengers onboard.  

Names of 3 lucky winners were drawn from the entries (invite letter) dropped in the barrel ... prize will be delivered to the stateroom by the entertainment staff.  This is comparable to NCL's Latitudes Reception, nowadays hosted by the CruiseNext team with absolutely no door prizes whatsoever, watered down to a marketing & sales pitch, "fancier" micro Hors D'oeuvre / finger foods plus free drinks to now ... plain cubes of cheese & crackers.  

NCL door prizes were dropped about 10 years ago ... once upon a time, yours truly won a Del Sol (color-changing) frisbee, "donated" by the ship's gift shop ... top prize used to be a free 7 days NCL cruise for 2, duh ! 

• Like 2

Queen Elizabeth docked at Ketchikan on a foggy / cloudy morning (Day 3) - early on Sunday, Sept 1st 2024 with the Ruby Princess ship at anchorage, running tenders using their lifeboats to bring passengers ashore and back.  

This time of the year, up to 5 different salmon species worked their way up Ketchikan's Creek ... this is one of the most popular viewing spot, flooded by cruise ship passengers.  It is easily walkable from cruise ship piers, and a free shuttle is available to bring folks to/from where we're docked - running every 15 minutes.  

DYK - less "famous" than Alaska king crabs is the sea cucumber trade involving deep diving by state-issued permits ... Siri & Google it, we're surprised to learn about this, apparently, big & lucrative trade - deadly & dangerous for the divers risking their lives.  Another one of the deadliest catch: The Sea Cucumber, refer to as the "cukes"

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 4

Perhaps, just 3 to 5 short video clips, tomorrow to upload and that should be it ... (orphaned black & brown bears, eagles & owls at the wildlife refuge in Sitka, known as the Alaska Raptor Center.

Last one this evening ... salmon at the Mendenhall Glacier creek, a short walk from the visitor's center where bears are sometimes spotted easily ... not during our visit, however ... but, look at these.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I recall the NCL days of free raffle cruise, spa, sparkling wine, etc. at Lats party.  Now it is go to CN desk and told 'NO' to any reasonable or included perk.  Oh, then the robocalls to room to sell certs.  Specialties for lunch, nice, $10 charge, half for kids, no 20% for our convenience, of course, good old days.

Thanks for input on keep open mind.  I know you mentioned feelings on MSC, think it was from friends or relatives not pushing you to try.  I would.  We've done four Mera since restart and things are pretty good outside YC from what we've seen.  Good space ratios, low price, not many specialties but the ones they have are very reasonable with great food.  Buffet good, pizza great. Shows run about 40 minutes but are high caliber.

Thanks for asking.  Think cruising with kids over for the near term.  DS in last year of college.  Nice you can get nieces to go.  DD probably about their ages, don't see much anymore but this weekend we had large event in town so she ran 911 calls with the geezer.  No surprise, I did the least amount of work of those involved.

News lower 48, Home Depot settles $2 million lawsuit for over charging I'll wait for my $.01 and Tupperware filed for bankruptcy.  Oh wait...you are back in lower 48.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Perhaps, just 3 to 5 short video clips, tomorrow to upload and that should be it ... (orphaned black & brown bears, eagles & owls at the wildlife refuge in Sitka, known as the Alaska Raptor Center.

Last one this evening ... salmon at the Mendenhall Glacier creek, a short walk from the visitor's center where bears are sometimes spotted easily ... not during our visit, however ... but, look at these.  

Thank you for sharing. This naturalist geek is always astounded at the lengths these fish go to reproduce. An absolutely incredible journey they make. 

• Like 1

Last batch of wildlife videos from the Alaska Raptor Center, a refugee recognized and where injured and orphaned animals are flown here free by Alaska Air from anywhere within the state for care & recovery, etc. 

We had hope to be able to see bears, whales & other wild life in their natural habitat on this trip ... plenty of variety of salmon species spotted along with eagles but mother nature called the weather for us, and didn't always help.  Until we return again, perhaps - next time.  

These 2 black bears are huge, imagine feeding them daily 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 4

Thank you for your wonderful as usual live review!

As we have been loyal NCL cruisers, we are also checking out the competition and have enjoyed two short cruises on Celebrity this year. It was interesting to read about how NCL compares to Cunard. My husband and I enjoy dressing up a little for dinner so Cunard could be an option for us especially with their longer cruises in Alaska.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise on RC and I hope you will do a review of some sort as we may book one for the next cruise with our 9 year old granddaughter.  Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and the excellent photos! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Afternoon Tea onboard the QE ... nope, it doesn't look like this.  This, is available, in our hometown neighborhood in the afternoon and very enjoyable, it is nothing close to Tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria, BC either.  

PXL_20240603_1837420461.thumb.jpg.eaa9b52370a42303e671bd0271c14933.jpg

While Cunard's Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room (3 to 4 PM) isn't as fancy and elaborate as one might expect ... I should note that it is also served in the Lido Restaurant (Deck 9) and Cafe Carinthia ... as well via complimentary Room Service ( the champagne high tea, for an upcharge, is offered & available )  Plus, of course, afternoon tea for those in "Grills" (suite) class - leaving that for those familiar with it to comment/add to this, if they so wish to do so)

Let's go to the video clip again: here is the formal "start" of tea time in QR ... do get there early for best seating.  Suffice, we enjoyed it and one of the twin nieces are now "addicted" to it ... she's known for chasing down good "Bubble Tea" no matter where.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cafe Carinthia (Deck 2 Mid-ship, starboard side) offers a light breakfast, continental style - coffee/tea & freshly bakery items in a casual & relaxed setting at a slower pace ... with so much to do, offered onboard and things to do whenever we're docked - didn't get a chance to enjoy & take advantage of this.  Well, there's always ... next time, right as in hmmm, maybe. 

PXL_20240905_172008027.thumb.jpg.cbd44d329478e20f9013cb8652874d8a.jpg

PXL_20240905_172036471.thumb.jpg.baf7a78ee3cb787d0b462ea86b41223b.jpg

Seating is nearly always available whenever we walked past ... folks sitting there to enjoy, chat, play board games, read, day dream and for those seating by the window (starboard side) take in the outside scenery.  

PXL_20240905_171927397.thumb.jpg.a7db555a1bf9e2c00d6c7c5913eec144.jpg

PXL_20240905_170325659.thumb.jpg.4d8436b5e76298be6216c0b01b991bca.jpg

These photos were taken around 9:20 AM, ship time while in Alaska on a sea day ... the pace is slow and calm, not hectic and busy with lines, unlike being on the Norwegian Prima during our 15 nights TA that left from NY via Iceland and disembarked in Southampton, UK earlier this May.  Which one "you" the readers prefer and can you guess which one we like ... of course, we're "stuffed" full after a full sit-down Britannia MDR breakfast and simply needed to do a little easy walking exercise and check out other parts of the ship. 

PXL_20240905_172120881.thumb.jpg.b013e02e5b49f50e99be53b667094012.jpg

PXL_20240905_172100596.thumb.jpg.5b113a1f74dfb326cd698b07631bcc9a.jpg

The absence of crowds in the main atrium lobby, how tranquil and for solitude, how about the 2 level library that is open, with computer terminals to help pass the time, look up future cruise options (free access to "select" online sites, just like NCL) ... not a digital or virtual library access that hardly anyone figured out how to set-up, configure and use onboard Norwegian.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Let's go to the video clip again: here is the formal "start" of tea time in QR ... do get there early for best seating.  Suffice, we enjoyed it and one of the twin nieces are now "addicted" to it ... she's known for chasing down good "Bubble Tea" no matter where.

Thanks for sharing the start of tea time! I have so many thoughts that I wish I could make. I'll leave it with, I'd be laughing my butt off if I were there. But, I'd enjoy the tea as any afternoon tea is good tea to me! I discovered a YouTuber yesterday that films herself going to afternoon tea - the stunning part? The first video I checked out - the tea house actually offered Lapsang Souchong. Take that Cunard!! 

Please, please, please tell me the music was being played as the servers walked out? Or did you add it to the video to really get the uhhh atmosphere right? Were people really clapping as the servers did the oh so serious walk? So many questions! I must experience this event once. 

Oh, my gosh! I would enjoy the living heck out of this event (for all the wrong reasons)! 

Separately, those cucumber sandwiches and deviled eggs look yummmmm!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

cruiseny4life , it's called tradition and it's a tradition many, many Cunard passengers look forward to.

I find servers walking/marching out to the Radetzky March, Baked Alaska Parade or Afternoon Tea, kitsch to say the very least but traditions often are and I wouldn't change either marches, for the world!

I just make sure I'm not there for them! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I have so many thoughts that I wish I could make. I'll leave it with, I'd be laughing my butt off if I were there. But, I'd enjoy the tea as any afternoon tea is good tea to me!

Oh, my gosh! I would enjoy the living heck out of this event (for all the wrong reasons)! 

Let’s just say that it would be a bad idea to sit us together for this tea ceremony…

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Thanks for sharing the start of tea time! I have so many thoughts that I wish I could make. I'll leave it with, I'd be laughing my butt off if I were there. But, I'd enjoy the tea as any afternoon tea is good tea to me! I discovered a YouTuber yesterday that films herself going to afternoon tea - the stunning part? The first video I checked out - the tea house actually offered Lapsang Souchong. Take that Cunard!! 

Please, please, please tell me the music was being played as the servers walked out? Or did you add it to the video to really get the uhhh atmosphere right? Were people really clapping as the servers did the oh so serious walk? So many questions! I must experience this event once. 

Separately, those cucumber sandwiches and deviled eggs look yummmmm!!!!

What would all the wrong reasons be?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

cruiseny4life , it's called tradition and it's a tradition many, many Cunard passengers look forward to.

I find servers walking/marching out to the Radetzky March, Baked Alaska Parade or Afternoon Tea, kitsch to say the very least but traditions often are and I wouldn't change either marches, for the world!

I just make sure I'm not there for them! 🙂

Oh, I would absolutely love this tradition! I might not love it in the way traditional Cunard passengers do, but I'd be absolutely there for it! One - I love Afternoon Tea. Two - I'd just simply love the tea. The pomp and circumstance...well, I would have to be there for it! At least once, though I do believe we feel the same way. You're driving me to YouTube for this Baked Alaska Parade (with a huge smile on my face, btw). 

@exlondoner - I would find this very entertaining. 

@Sugar Magnolia - Perhaps we'd snort the tea out our noses together?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Only once, believe me, and I speak as a loyal Cunard passenger. 😀

Agreed, my personal opinion it's one tradition I think Cunard could drop.

It's all to staged and I don't think the staff actually enjoy it either, in fact they seem rather embarrassed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

@Sugar Magnolia - Perhaps we'd snort the tea out our noses together?

It would not be a dignified scene. I would love a few Strauss waltzes though. 

I am old enough to vaguely remember the flaming Baked Alaska parade. 😂. Thanks for the memories @Victoria2

• Haha 2

@cruiseny4life  That music is 100% authentic and live that I didn't detach or edit out from the video clips, have another one somewhere on a different day - bursting with laughters and chatter from my clan & fellow cruisers sitting around us ... it was fun and entertaining; and, from what I gathered, the wait staff were selected & chosen to be part of that tea time ceremonial introduction.  Our Britannia server wasn't among them but reminded us to do the afternoon tea at least once to experience it personally, and subsequently, we had the honor of meeting one of the 2 dozen that're doing the tea in the MDR over breakfast / lunch ... as other regulars said, it is part of the unique Cunard tradition and part of their training, duties and to foster the overall onboard experience for passengers, FWIW.  

Compared that to the lines inside (NCL) the Prima and Joy's Observation Lounge for afternoon tea, with the lines and atmosphere ... and the sofa/lounge hogs spreaded out (well, upper deck in Haven, hopefully wasn't bad since ...)  - I think we prefer this theatrical experience with live music/band in the background (but, the sound volume was a little bit too high, as in noisy)   Maybe @Sugar Magnolia has a different take or spin - but not an experience for solo cruisers in their private lounge ... where, accordingly to the last report I read, still just pound cake and no cookies for the afternoon.  I got "smuggled" in there briefly for a private tour and loved the coffee/expresso machine and the cappuccino was really good ... having scones & slotted cream, would've made that nice onboard NCL.  

Between the 2 of us (and, I'm going to be good & quiet by the back corner) - I am thinking, will be fun & interesting to give Cunard a spin if & when deals come around ... the TA crossing experience on the QM2 is probably (folks, help me out to explain or tell the NCL'ers) different and unique.  

Regardless, I got several more videos that I almost ignored - here they are, as below ... enjoy & for those that missed Alaska already, it's not a cure for post-cruise withdrawal but hopefully, helped. 

• Like 1

Let's go to the video clips again - White Pass Yukon Train at Skagway, boarding from the ships' pier ... if you booked yours directly with the cruiseline, you'll have a "shorter" walk to get onto the train vs. independent ones, which involved walking a  bit further.  Still, you still have to go ashore & step onto the pier ... like these folks on another cruise ship, docked next to us.  Our berth is the same spot as when we came here in 2008 via the Norwegian Star.  

The airport's runway is behind those building and sightseeing helicopters also take off/return here the landing pads, also behind the ground structure.  

We opted to do a shared, semi-private tour via the mini-bus with several scenic stops up the Klondike Highway up the summit on the White Pass, beyond the US-Canada border and back (travel document/passports required - driver does asked & checked) - the WP Railroad is on the other side and you can see (look closely near the bottom of the waterfall/stream) the rails with bridge crossing in this video.

Close-up of birds on the river stream/bed feeding with tens of thousands of salmon swimming and laying their eggs, returning to their birthplace - spawning.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

Time to wrap this up with comments, comparisons and impressions, FWIW, as other "live" reviews are starting up ... let other folks chime in and do their expert review as we are newbies on Cunard, strictly and seriously ... here to kick the tin cans, smell the ship and get a feel for whether we find Cunard to be a good fit.  

In short, I think - we feel - got a winner here and Cunard will be on our radar for future cruises, if and when it is a good match for our plans.  NCL and dirty Harry, better try and work harder to make our cruise days better ahead, or else ... the suspension will stay in force.  

When it comes to reviewing and comparing food, and especially between cruise line B and C vs. D and/or N, etc. - whether it is quantitative and qualitative, it is highly subjective and biased, personal and often distorted; except when it comes to food temperature as tested and served, using "calibrated" digital temperature probe & surface scan.  FWIW, we found the MDR (or, Britannia Dining Room) hot entrees and soup to be 2 clicks warmer (hotter) - overall speaking - than those served onboard NCL.  As far as hot soup offered (typically, one choice in Britannia each day/evening only) - it is, without a doubt - superior, better & hot compared to NCL.  

Here's a recap of some of the memorable food dishes, entrees, specials as well as the ordinary ones no longer served on NCL ... let the pictures speak for themselves: 

Collage_2024-09-18_21_37_51.thumb.jpg.7a7da1ba40b762b37c90dba01012e0bf.jpg

Collage_2024-09-18_22_18_34.thumb.jpg.c9ab42f3a855bed1a104fe48923dd516.jpg

I do not know what Cunard's secrets are - maybe, it's because the MDR is closer to the gallery (kitchen) and/or, they are kept warm - at a higher temperature hold - than that of NCL ... and, they are kept near the wait stations & quickly accessible to each team of servers, they just have to move the soup into the warm bowl and bring that to the tables ??  

Collage_2024-09-18_22_32_47.thumb.jpg.c863bde8a5a4330e8423381cd0cc0745.jpg

Cunard's MDR menu, apparently, has been reduced & simplified according to others (cut or chopped, if you prefer to use those terms) and quality-wise, we've concluded that it is most definitely, above and superior, better than NCL's current/latest offerings (with its 14 nights / 20+ nights of rotating menus) ... some of them repeated often, i.e. French onion soup with cheese topping.  I love onion soup served piping hot in a bread bowl with generous topping of  melted cheese - but, even with that, you get tired of the same old, same old after several days on a 10+ days (longer) cruise or itinerary with the same ship. 

Service has been excellent and prompt, friendly and cheerful, no issues or complaints and problems to speak of, with Cunard and once we resolved the requested late dining choice to be seated together on embarkation evening ... the remaining days were seamless.  Even if ordered the full 4-course and/or 5-course meals, pretty sure that our servers can get us out of the MDR within 1 hour, with plenty of time to make our way over to the Royal Theater Court to see the 10 PM show (with our "late" seating - doors open at 7:45 PM and should be there by 8 PM, and doors closed by 8:15 PM)   

With NCL, even 75 minutes would be pushing it, especially with the "new" "Freestyle Dining" where no advanced reservations can be made for parties of 5 or less, except for Specialty Dining (with the upcharge / fees ) - closer to 90 minutes or more, lately, based on our recent experience in several dining venue & specialty ones on Norwegian.   Cunard has NCL beaten by at least 15 minutes on the clock as in "time management" partially attributed to, that we are using fixed dining / late seating ... eliminated the wait to get to the front of the line (not knowing whether priority restaurant seating for Sapphire/Diamond members would be recognized, honored and given).  We could've switched to QE Anytime (flexible) Dining and show up on Deck 2, and wait to get seated if and when, once a table for 6 is available.  

Nobody is perfect, we did come across one (1) cranky server in the MDR on disembarkation morning, apparently b/c we were among the last dozen to walk in for sit-down breakfast (not in a hurry to disembark, unlike most) and trying to rush us to order, kept repeating several times that the kitchen is closing soon.  I got it, he and the rest of the crew had been up early b/c it is turnaround day they want to clear the restaurant and have it set up for the next group of passengers boarding in a matter of hours.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

Red Lion Pub - we only managed to eat their once for a late lunch.  A very basic and short menu, good food & served hot and it wasn't busy as it was near closing time  ... and Tea Time almost ready to start nearby within 1/2 hour.  

PXL_20240903_225009209.thumb.jpg.2612ac9f55b0d991211117fc675816cc.jpg

PXL_20240903_225001976.thumb.jpg.b8095d67f3f4c6251834104c799a393d.jpg

Collage_2024-09-18_22_21_38.thumb.jpg.37ed20993c1ce7081214b50d9f9d8dee.jpg

• Like 2

Lido Restaurant a/k/a QE's "buffet" place ... casual dining, all-you-can-eat and a popular place to sit, watch, relax and enjoy the outside scenery.   From what we could tell, you can nearly always find a table for 2's and 4's to sit and eat.  Table for a bigger group of 6 or more, like us are harder to come by at "peak" or busy meal times - simple strategy, split up and find a table for 2 and another one for 4 ... not always nearby but ... it work.  

Lido's food options were very good to excellent, IMHO, in terms of quality and variety, and it is very, very easy to take too much and challenging to eat it all - it take discipline.  Believe it, yours truly barely gained one (1) pound at the end of this cruise-vacation, including days eating in Richmond/Vancouver - indeed, a miracle: mission accomplished.  However, can't say the same for the sis-in-law and bro-in-law most definitely gained at least 5 to 6 lbs, if not more.  What about RC's upcoming 9 nights cruise, stay tuned - should I decide to not go dark and entirely undercover, and do minimal to almost zero not-quite-live-limited reporting next week/end. 

20240906_230454.thumb.jpg.62565a1a071b17acc6c7b2a1adb07c1c.jpg

Observations and this is obvious, compared to NCL's newest Prima, Viva and maybe the Aqua (launching soon) - QE's Lido is very spacious, very similar to the designs for NCL's "older" mega ships like the Breakaway Getaway, Escape, and Joy - with multiple food stations, salad, dessert, pizza, craving station, and of course, beverage station.  Lido (15 years old now, last drydock in 2021, I believe) is well spread out by design ... avoiding one,two and maybe three long lines that appeared singular and continuously, when you really just wanted to do the salad bar, dessert and fruits, or pizza, or soup & bread - and there is seldom any foot traffic jams.  

20240906_230440.thumb.jpg.95cabd664193405d7e2a9f66b6dd7966.jpg

Despite having "fewer" beverage stations - passengers eating in Lido can easily get to what they need, milk and juices available all day long (not just at breakfast) - more tea drinkers than what we are used to see, where there is sometimes a pause for folks to find & select their tea bags.  Lemonade available vs. NCL's flavored water (not offered onboard Cunard - unless we missed it)  Of course, no problems finding hash browns in the morning and cookies during the day, and puddings - maybe, fewer "fancier" dessert choices than NCL and don't think jellos are "popular" to fill the space.  

Collage_2024-09-18_23_54_15.thumb.jpg.432faa7a6c8da0d02039c83212d6db36.jpg

For the twin nieces, the millennials in their mid 30's - they fell in love with Lido's made/baked-to-order & ready in 15 minutes "personal-sized" pizza, complimentary and we all agreed, as they're most recently on the Norwegian Getaway (last December) - just as good as the ones from NCL's La Cucina (Italian) specialty restaurant, and more than 2 clicks better than the other's room service pizza (with a fee, for one's convenience)

Collage_2024-09-18_23_47_54.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20240901_145350.thumb.jpg.6014a669c95093917589b4607754d164.jpg

There is one important area, that QE's Lido did not score well - that is, the availability of crew members a/k/a staffing level that we considered adequate & appropriate to promptly clear and clean tables, take away plates, dishes, cups & utensils ... insteading of leaving them piled up and unattended.  Even when the previous passengers have clearly got up and left, the handful of crew assigned to work in Lido appeared distracted and/or focused on other tasks on hand, i.e sorting cups & dishes at their cleaning stations, moving carts around into the service area.  

We noticed this on more than 2 or 3 occasions and had to "flag" one of them down to come over to clear, clean & wipe - it is NOT what we consider best practices; and, having to ask them to bring clean & fresh, covered utensils with the cloth napkin.   Maybe, it's just annoying for us - it's a good thing that we don't eat and live or spend much time hanging out on Deck 9.  

Hand sanitizer stations are positioned near the entrance but it is entirely voluntary and not always with "washy washy" crew around holding the spray bottle.  Very few, if any, stop at the restrooms to wash & rinse with soap & running water.  Thankfully, noro-virus wasn't lurking (we think ...) 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

20240905_193859.thumb.jpg.cde9207fd32cb66226f90fd837189481.jpg

As far as the ship's Starlink satellite WiFi access, what more need I say - loved the speed and fairly reliable connectivity, short of streaming video content in HD mode or otherwise. For someone traveling ultralight - the Library (upper section or deck 3) does have 7 or 8 working PC terminals with access, but I wouldn't do any banking or similar logins thru them, for cyber security reasons as it isn't secured and most likely, not adequately encrypted. 

It's usually quiet inside and around that area, very good spacing & distancing from others and unlikely for anyone else to be overlooking your shoulder while you are logging in and keying your "credentials" to browse.

On the opposite corner (Port side) is the Card Room, also fairly quiet & spacious (especially when you compare it against NCL) - don't have to worry about the entertainment staff running a game show outside & below in the atrium lobby, solo or duet musicians putting on a performance and drawing a crowd.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1