Ultimate Balcony Dining Regal - Questions

We will be on the Regal Princess in November in a mini suite and have questions about the UBD?

The balconies are a bit tight on this ship.  Is there room to do this?

What is included in the $110 charge?

Any recent menus?

Is it served course by course?

We have a side balcony mid ship on Caribe deck.  Will it be too windy?  The latest we are in any port is Cozumel 6pm.

We have Premier Package.  Can we do wine pairings with each course?

TIA

Posted (edited)

We have the UBD whenever we have a balcony cabin & have enjoyed all of them…in 9’x4’ Royal-Class balconies, 9’x5’ Grand-classes, in 9’x9’ half covered Grand-classes of cabins, even inside once when inclement weather moved it into our cabin.

For $110/couple you get cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, salad, steak and/or lobster, dessert, flowers, half bottle of champagne (we have exchanged for an equivalent full bottle of wine) and a photo.

Waiters serve by courses & wait in the hallway until they see you’re ready for the next course…great food & service. They will work with you if you’d like to make a few adjustments to the menu.

We have ours during evenings in port or during sailaway in an effort to have the best weather conditions. We had an UBB once during a seaday & it was too windy to fully enjoy it. And that breakfast dumps all plates of food at once…not the great UBD service.

I have no experiences with packages for wine.

It’s our favorite Princess dining experience and would highly recommend it.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

Here are a few shots from our 2017 Mexican Riviera cruise on the Ruby. We had an aft suite and invited my parents to join us; obviously four would be impossible on most mini-suite balconies. If I remember correctly, the dessert course was one plate with a special rolled/perforated chocolate per person PLUS one plate of small nibbles to share per couple.

I've said this before and will say it again: the waiters are there to serve you. If you give the slightest hint that you like something not on the menu and they can grab it, it will magically appear on your table. 🙂 In Alaska, we know there's usually lobster one night and king crab legs another night, so we asked our MDR waiters which night was which. My wife loves both of those, but her thought is we live in Seattle so she can get crab legs whenever, so we did UBD on crab leg night. We told our UBD waiters this story (WE NEVER ASKED FOR CRAB LEGS) and poof, five minutes later the junior waiter returned with a DOZEN crab legs.

Cruise-511.jpg

Cruise-512.jpg

Cruise-513.jpg

Cruise-514.jpg

Cruise-515.jpg

Cruise-518.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

we hopefully will experience our first UBD on the SUN P in October - paid for and date set

hopefully set the time as soon as we board if we can't before

I’ve never been able to select a time before a cruise & call room service to set up a time instead of waiting for their call. 

The last I heard there are two UBDs available early (5-6) and two late (7-8)…a maximum of four UBDs per evening. They have even recommended exact times based on viewing the sunset. With all of the increases in prices, we pre-booked & paid our next UBD during our evening in Honolulu.

Lots of good food with great service although think it’s not as much food as the Chef’s Table…hopefully you’ll enjoy it as much as us.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

I’ve never been able to select a time before a cruise & call room service to set up a time instead of waiting for their call. 

The last I heard there are two UBDs available early (5-6) and two late (7-8)…a maximum of four UBDs per evening. They have even recommended exact times based on viewing the sunset. With all of the increases in prices, we pre-booked & paid our next UBD during our evening in Honolulu.

Lots of good food with great service although think it’s not as much food as the Chef’s Table…hopefully you’ll enjoy it as much as us.

It looks like we can request a time in the Cruise Personalizer when booking (buying?) UBD ahead of time. Alas, I doubt it's guaranteed, and of course they need to ask all of the questions.

We've also heard the same of two early and two late UBDs per day. Interestingly, on our 2015 cruise when we first discovered UBD, we did it on night 5 of the cruise, and the UBD waiters told us we were the first to do UBD that whole cruise and no one else had it booked yet for the rest of the cruise. *shrug*

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, peety3 said:

It looks like we can request a time in the Cruise Personalizer when booking (buying?) UBD ahead of time. Alas, I doubt it's guaranteed, and of course they need to ask all of the questions.

Lucky you…our only option is the date but we always get our preferred time by calling room service upon boarding.

I think the lack of promotion is why there are so few UBDs booked. It’s our favorite Princess dining experience & enjoy it more than the Chef’s Table which costs about double.

Edited by Astro Flyer