Back on Queen Anne again.

Colin_Cameron

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Blackpool was once a grand old lady now sadly run down like a lot of UK seaside resorts.  It is now known for hosting stag (bachelor) and hen (bachelorette) parties.  As a result the description used in the manner it was is intended to suggest somewhere full of people seeking cheap entertainment, drink and baldy.  Unfortunately there is a tendency by some to refer to UK seaside resorts, holiday camps and some pub chains as comparisons when wishing to denigrate an offering. Basically taking the Michael (mickey) and suggesting that Blackpool/the holiday camp/pub chain etc are low class and full of cheap entertainment.

I always recall people referring to Mickey Mouse watches as a form of denigration suggesting poor quality, the irony being that Mickey Mouse was the foundation for one of the world's most successful organisations.

There's nothing wrong with Blackpool save it has sadly been run down over the years and is trying to regain some of its old grandeur.

I can say that Coney Island, Asbury Park (NJ shore), and Atlantic City on this side of the Atlantic parallels the Blackpool description. Some areas reclaiming their glory better than others. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, NE John said:

I can say that Coney Island, Asbury Park (NJ shore), and Atlantic City on this side of the Atlantic parallels the Blackpool description. Some areas reclaiming their glory better than others. 

It's the same the world over from what I see, particularly with seaside/shore towns built and based on entertainment from by gone eras.  It was once a dream of people here to go to Acapulco but I doubt they want to go anywhere near it now.  We have a TV station showing quiz show reruns from the late 1970's and 80's and quite often the "dream" holiday is to somewhere that's either a war zone or a no go area these days.

I find it very sad that people try to be funny with these flippant throw away insults to compare things. I'm lucky I can go on a cruise, be it Cunard or any other line however many here at home can't afford to even dream of any holiday and a week in Blackpool or a Butlins holiday camp is something they can at least aspire to.  

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NE John said:

Much as it hurts my Jersey girl heart to agree with you, yes, that's a reasonable comparison to Blackpool. To be fair, I haven't been to Blackpool in many years, but when I first saw it, I thought I could be in one of the Jersey shore boardwalk towns--similar rides, amusements, souvenir stalls. The biggest difference was the smell. Our boardwalks tend to smell of pizza, while British ones smell of the vinegar that comes with fish and chips. 

• Like 4

In Wales we might say "like Barry Island on a bad day".  That seaside resort known for its day visitors and funfair has had a visitor renaissance thanks to its location for the British TV comedy Gavin and Stacey.  Many have happy memories of childhood treats of a day trip to Barry beach.  

• Like 4

I too am onboard Queen Anne right now and agree that the service in Britannia Club is outstanding in every way.  However, so far we are quite disappointed in the taste of the food.  So far nothing memorable and often rather bland.  This is in regards to dinner.  The buffet selection is quite limited compared to the competition, especially Celebrity Cruises.

the entertainment variety is excellent and the Bright Lights Society is fabulous!

• Like 1

I was thinking that the lift doors weren't closing as quickly as they had been so did a little testing. 

If the lift is empty I've been pressing my floor and the one above (if I'm going up) and timing how long it takes the doors to close when I get out. Turns out it's anything from 5 secs to 9 secs. I haven't yet worked out if it depends on the individual lift or some other factor.

Just to add to the problems a number of the up/down lights aren't working.

10 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I was thinking that the lift doors weren't closing as quickly as they had been so did a little testing. 

If the lift is empty I've been pressing my floor and the one above (if I'm going up) and timing how long it takes the doors to close when I get out. Turns out it's anything from 5 secs to 9 secs. I haven't yet worked out if it depends on the individual lift or some other factor.

In May, on one of the midship elevators the voice was confused about direction. If you pressed UP, the door would open and the voice would say "going up." Then the door would close, and the voice would say "going down," even though the elevator was going up. 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

The time of lift opening is called lift [door] dwell time and the minimum is between 5-6 secs for disabled access. QA's lifts are standard at 9 secs.

I know this as I had a chat with one of the managers [can't remember title] about the snappy door closure problem  for those with reduced mobility. Cunard therefore meet requirements and then some.

Still an issue if a wheelchair user happens to be on the wrong side of the lobby and the lift is empty as no amount of 'hold the lift please' will have any effect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

They frequently close a lot quicker than that, as I've found out.

Then as I did, a visit to Front desk and now armed with ADA minimum dwell time is in order.

I'd be there like a shot!

I think they're meeting the 5-6sec.min, if only just. The situation is exacerbated by a) the seat in the middle of the foyer, which I initially thought was a good idea and b) the direction indicators not working meaning you have to head for any door that opens and having to ask whether this one's going up or down, only to find the one you really want has now arrived, on the other side of the seat in the middle.

Other issues not yet resolved: The signs for the gent's toilets are still causing problems. Where the two are side-by-side the difference is clear. Where they are separate, the 'Ladies' is obvious but the 'Gents' is ambiguous. Even on day two of the Maiden Voyage management were aware, having been personally interrupted by female passengers walking in on them.

It seems we're destined to not see "Brief Encounter". Apparently it's only been cancelled twice, on the Maiden Voyage, because of bad weather, and tonight due to technical (sound) issues. They're going to try and reschedule later in the voyage.

It seems our waiter had a nasty fall just before we arrived for dinner tonight. There was a short delay but a replacement was drafted in (from Queens Grill) and he was asking which tables he was covering, etc. The maitre d' told him, "Just do what ***** (the assistant waiter) tells you. It's what I do."

I have to say that the restaurant service reminds me of Cunard, 25-30 years ago.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

If the illumnated arrows don't work, does the lift "ping"? If it does (like QM2. QV and QE) it's one "ping" for up and two for down.

It did in May. I never knew about that until I read it here.

6 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

It did in May. I never knew about that until I read it here.

I sussed that out on our first Cunard trip in '11.

Easy aide memoir is

ding dong down

so

ding, is up!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Currently on QA and first cruise on her. We have enjoyed all the other Queens at various times and equally impressed by Anne. Our balcony cabin on Deck 10 starboard is lovely although storage is limited compared with other ships. Deck 10 is a great position for buffet access, library access and outside spaces, also a good view. Food has been very good everywhere but portion sizes at dinner are small. Entertainment is good, live music of a wide variety means there is plenty of choice. Show off dancers in the the Queens Room are entertainment in themselves and worth a look for a few minutes each evening or during afternoon tea.

We haven't been comparing the ships as Anne is new and fresh and stands on her own merit as far as we are concerned. Dress standards are good on the whole with a couple of people who seem to have booked the wrong type of cruise. 

It was sad last night to have the performance of Brief Encounter stopped suddenly after a technical issue but they have promised to re-schedule. We have missed Skagen today because of high winds and a new programme of events has just been announced so again plenty of choice to fill our time.

In all I would say this Cunard cruise is as good as any other we have enjoyed and we wouldn't hesitate to sail on Anne again.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

If the illumnated arrows don't work, does the lift "ping"? 

It's taken a while to confirm, but no. When the lights don't work the "ping" doesn't work either. Nor does the little indicator on the digital floor display.

I've yet to work out if it's the same lifts on each floor or not.

4 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

It's taken a while to confirm, but no. When the lights don't work the "ping" doesn't work either. Nor does the little indicator on the digital floor display.

I've yet to work out if it's the same lifts on each floor or not.

Somehow between the hurdling wheelchair-bound and the "ping!" ... I see Monty Python building a routine out of this.

• Haha 2

Someone mentioned a while ago about the lack of ship pictures. I'm not sure if they've been adding them since the maiden voyage but there are a few around. Also, the 'modern' art has lots of Cunard references that I'm only starting to notice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Someone mentioned a while ago about the lack of ship pictures. I'm not sure if they've been adding them since the maiden voyage but there are a few around. Also, the 'modern' art has lots of Cunard references that I'm only starting to notice.

What sort of references are you seeing? 

I really looked, and I found only two paintings, both in the pub.

We are on board tomorrow just for the 4 nights to Rotterdam. Really looking forward to it and going with very open minds so will be doing our best not to compare. We are in PG deck 5 so will report back on how things are. It looks like grills is all in the middle which looks easier to navigate but have only ever done PG once before on QM2 All other times in Britannia which we still like and will be doing again.