Back on Queen Anne again.

Colin_Cameron

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

If I saw that painting, I probably couldn't bear to look at it long enough to see that. 😱

I think it is really rather intriguing. I don’t dislike it, but wouldn’t want it where I could see it all the time. The bathroom perhaps, if the colours matched.

I rather like it and it features the Cunard lion [rampant I think] although not sure what it's holding as it looks like a pineapple rather than the World.

Look closer and there are numerous marine tones and the lion rising from the scallop is rather reminiscent of Botticelli's Birth of  Venus but then I might be over thinking it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I rather like it and it features the Cunard lion [rampant I think] although not sure what it's holding as it looks like a pineapple rather than the World.

Look closer and there are numerous marine tones and the lion rising from the scallop is rather reminiscent of Botticelli's Birth of  Venus but then I might be over thinking it.

No, that was my thought. And I think there are probably echoes of other things. I have seen that fish somewhere before. As I say, intriguing.

So, as we sit waiting to disembark what are my thoughts on QA after our second time aboard?

As expected there has been a huge improvement in the service levels. Throughout the ship staff are now working as a team. Our move to Britannia Club will have had an influence on that but it's also evident in the bars and elsewhere.

The Commodore Club seems like a different room from the one we saw three months ago. It's not just the bar stools, the huge empty space that separated the bar from the rest of the room now has seating in it and it now feels like a single venue rather than a lounge with a separate bar.

There are things that still need fixing. The food ordering system continues to cause problems. Working some days and not others and seemingly sometimes failing during meal service,  with the waiters ordering on the tablets earlier in the evening but reverting to pen and paper later.

They've called our disembarkation ahead of schedule so I'll finish this later. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cook68 said:

We are on board tomorrow just for the 4 nights to Rotterdam. Really looking forward to it and going with very open minds so will be doing our best not to compare. We are in PG deck 5 so will report back on how things are. It looks like grills is all in the middle which looks easier to navigate but have only ever done PG once before on QM2 All other times in Britannia which we still like and will be doing again. 

Yes PG Grill dining, the Queens Lounge and Bar, and QG dining are all on midships up on Deck 10 -

You access here by B Lifts/stairway (no key card access needed for the Lift).
Food very good in PG, with A la Carte options (some needed to be pre-ordered).
Stanley is the Maitre 'D with a good team of Head Waiters. 

Just one flight up takes you to deck 11 for the Grills Sun Terrace (again no key card access needed)
There are No-entry signs to non-Grills guests at the doors leading out to the Terrace Deck.
You cannot access the Grills Terrace from the other Lifts/stairways.
Plenty of padded sun bed loungers, wicker chairs and reclining wicker chair loungers, most with cushions, and some larger comfy sofas.
Plenty of shade too, plus 2 x Infinity hot pools (bigger than tubs).

The two starboard side deck ''walk through'' access doors have been at last fitted with a key CODE lock, and the code will be given to you as a Grills Passenger. 
This now prevents non-Grills guests from continuously walking/wandering through the Grills Terrace, and also abusing the Grills Terrace facilities as was the case almost until the end of our Voyage. 

Afternoon Tea service is served on the Grills Terrace at your chair/lounger at 3pm, weather permitting.
A Drinks/Bar/Cocktail service at your chair was totally lacking on our H418 but was finally addressed by the end of the voyage, and bar menus finally appeared on the tables.
The complimentary 'help yourself' Tea/Coffee/Iced water service was abysmal, and the Coffee Machine was broken, so I hope this has all been addressed by now. 

Afternoon Tea is also served in the PG restaurant (free seating) and is a rather nice experience.(No clunky Ikea cups there LOL)

If you want to go for a swim it's down on deck 9 Panorama Pool (aft) so you go through the aft access deck door, walk back to the Cabana Bar through the sliding door and take the C Lift/stairs down to 9 for the aft pool.

You will need a cover up to do this, or wrap a towel around you.
There are also steep stairs outside to go down the two decks but they were too much for me.
If you want to use the midships Pavillion Pool (which has steps with a handrail leading into it) then take the B Lift down to Deck 9, cross over to the Port side to access the Pool Area.
Again a cover up is needed.
The Pavillion Pool is the one with the Screen, and the Wellness Cafe is above on Deck 10.

Hope you have a great time. 
QA grew on me and I think I will go back on her one day.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

Why can’t you access the Grills Terrace by walking along from the A Stairway, assuming you remember your keycard?

First of all you do not need your room key card to access anywhere except to open your cabin door.

It was complicated for many, from the forward A Lift/stairs to get back to the midships Grills Terrace on Deck 11 (or the Grills on Deck 10)
If you got lost there was a lot of going up/down and then along to reach it (same for the Commodore Club on 12 unless you have a cabin/suite forward....)

Whilst the A lift goes to up 11 you can (I think) then walk back outside (you can IIRC be on either side) and get through to the side Grills Terrace access doors (with a Key code number to enter now)
Decks 11 and 10 do not extend over the midships Pool.

For the Grills Terrace IMHO you are always better off heading for the B Lifts from wherever you are on the ship and going up that way. Much easier.

8 minutes ago, rog747 said:

First of all you do not need your room key card to access anywhere except to open your cabin door.

It was complicated for many, from the forward A Lift/stairs to get back to the midships Grills Terrace on Deck 11 (or the Grills on Deck 10)
If you got lost there was a lot of going up/down and then along to reach it (same for the Commodore Club on 12 unless you have a cabin/suite forward....)

Whilst the A lift goes to up 11 you can (I think) then walk back outside (you can IIRC be on either side) and get through to the side Grills Terrace access doors (with a Key code number to enter now)
Decks 11 and 10 do not extend over the midships Pool.

For the Grills Terrace IMHO you are always better off heading for the B Lifts from wherever you are on the ship and going up that way. Much easier.

Sorry, yes I meant the pesky code, worse still.

What is the easiest route depends entirely where you start from. I found my morning stroll from the Library and the Commodore Club back past the top of the Pavilion both simple and enjoyable.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Sorry, yes I meant the pesky code, worse still.

What is the easiest route depends entirely where you start from. I found my morning stroll from the Library and the Commodore Club back past the top of the Pavilion both simple and enjoyable.

Yes, that's def the best way from coming forward and staying out on the top decks.
But many folk in Grills are in Midships cabins so I guess I was speaking of that area, apologies.

You will get the Terrace code when you get on the ship, by a letter left in your room.
They had not thought of changing the code after each Voyage until we reminded them!

Posted (edited)

One thing I thought I could mention is just how much longer QA is versus QV/QE. She's over 30m longer, and just 20m short of QM2's length.

Whilst the QV/QE are still big ships at over 900' long, the QA is way bigger (at almost 1060') making her longer than both of the original 1930's Queens, SS France, SS United States and the Normandie.

I really sensed this immense length when I was onboard and being in midships (near B Lifts) which was very handy for the Grills 10, Chart Room 2, Tour Desk 2, Carinthia Lounge and Prom on 3, and Grand Lobby 1, 2 and 3, she was quite a long walk to go forward or go aft for anything else -
the passageways seemed endless!!

Note to self was that if I ever return on board for another cruise on QA, I would likely go Britannia and have an aft area cabin for ease of access to the MDR and the Panorama Pool.

Edited by rog747
  • Like 1

Just now, rog747 said:

One thing I thought I could mention is just how much longer QA is versus QV/QE.
She's over 30m longer, and just 20m short of the QM2's length.

Whilst the QV/QE are still big ships at over 900' long, the QA is way bigger (at almost 1060') making her longer than both of the original 1930's Queens, SS France, SS United States and the Normandie.

I really sensed this immense length when I was onboard and being in midships (near B Lifts) which was very handy for the Grills 10, Chart Room 2, Tour Desk 2, Carinthia Lounge and Prom on 3, and Grand Lobby 1, 2 and 3, she was quite a long walk to go forward or go aft for anything else -
the passageways seemed endless!!

Note to self was that if I ever return on board for another cruise on QA, I would likely go Britannia and have an aft area cabin for ease of access to the MDR and the Panorama Pool.

Yes, the length was a surprise. Other of course than the dreadful Grills Lounge, which I may have mentioned occasionally before, it was probably the thing I found most difficult about her, and I am fully ambulant, just lazy. Still, it was good for the memory, as, of course, is QM2.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, rog747 said:

Afternoon Tea service is served on the Grills Terrace at your chair/lounger at 3pm, weather permitting.
A Drinks/Bar/Cocktail service at your chair was totally lacking on our H418 but was finally addressed by the end of the voyage, and bar menus finally appeared on the tables.
The complimentary 'help yourself' Tea/Coffee/Iced water service was abysmal, and the Coffee Machine was broken, so I hope this has all been addressed by now. 

It sounds like they're getting some service going on the Terrace, and about time. There was none--not even self-serve water--on the third voyage. Afternoon tea was served rather grudgingly (if at all) and in a hurry. It took three months to figure out how to put out some water???

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Useful information. Thanks.

We'll be on QA on 3 November, so trying to take it all in.

Rather ironic that on our very chilly/windy Iceland trip, the bar menus were out on the deck tables plus the call buttons were out too on numerous deserted occasions.

No idea re on-deck coffee machine as one of our favourite bar staff members from the grills lounge kept us supplied with hot lattes.

If he could have added two hot water bottles with the steaming coffee, that would have been icing on the coffee!

• Like 2

After an eleven hour drive we're home.

Now where was I? Things still to be fixed: The food ordering system and the logo for the 'Gents'. The former will have to be fixed, and the latter is easy enough to do over time; The lift doors are still too quick for a lot of people, not just the infirm, and the now failing up/down indicators just makes things worse. And having to take 50% of the passenger lifts out-of-service at the busiest time, embarkation day - and on the last night- is just crazy. First and last impressions people!

I mentioned that we were 'underwhelmed' by our visit to Sir Samuels and I heard similar from other people. One of them summed it up, "It's amazing the difference something as simple as tablecloth makes." This is billed as a fine dining experience and although the food and the service are excellent, as far as the setting is concerned, you could be in the Lido - sorry, Artisans' Foodhall - and it could be argued that has a better view. The same applies to the other speciality restaurants.

However, it's the things that can't, or won't, be fixed that make Queen Anne our least favourite Cunard ship. The promenade deck, I don't use it but my wife does; The Queen's Room, 'cheap' with poor sightlines; and the theatre, a perfectly functional space but bland when compared with the other ships.

Will we sail on her again? Probably, but it would have to be the right itinerary, on the right dates, and at the right price. The problem is that now that Cunard have just-another-cruise-ship she has much more competition than the others.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Will we sail on her again?
Probably, but it would have to be the right itinerary, on the right dates, and at the right price. 
The problem is that now that Cunard have just-another-cruise-ship she has much more competition than the others.

Ditto to much of what you say about QA - she is a tad ''Marmite'' but she grew on me, so will I sail on her again?

Yes, possibly, but as you say too, it would have to be the right itinerary, on the right dates, and at the right price. 

On my 2 week trip to the Med a few weeks ago I chose to be in Grills (PG) and things started off really very shaky with the food quality/the service/food temperature/menu choices, BUT things vastly improved after a few chats, and by the second week much of our dining was top notch as it should be.
I went to the very nice and rather stylish Britannia MDR (for a Dinner and Breakfast) to eat with an old friend who was also onboard for this cruise, and staying on the one after to Norway, and the Maitre 'D there on Deck 3 upper level (who I knew) and he said I'm sorry it's so chaotic! 
Then we had ''SunBedWarsGate'' and the Grills Terrace service, and access doors debacle - both thankfully eventually sorted out by the end of our trip... 

To add my take to your scribe:

Now where was I?
Things still to be fixed:  The Lift doors are still too quick for a lot of people, not just the infirm
YES, I can concur to that, the Lifts do need a few seconds more

I mentioned that we were 'underwhelmed' by our visit to Sir Samuels and I heard similar from other people. One of them summed it up, "It's amazing the difference something as simple as tablecloth makes." This is billed as a fine dining experience.....
Deffo !

White Tablecloths and linens should be de rigueur in there...even fine NYC and LA Steakhouses I go to have nice white starched table linens

I hope Cunard will take note here...

However, it's the things that can't, or won't, be fixed that make Queen Anne our least favourite Cunard ship.

True

The Promenade Deck,
Sadly, I agree with you, but we all knew what we were going to get on this new ship (an enlarged HAL Pinnacle)

no seats. no real sea views. Just a lifeboat museum

The Queen's Room,
I agree not a patch on QV/QE's
Low ceilings, often very warm, ''Conference chairs'' laid out for additional seating, not a good look

The Theatre, a perfectly functional space.
I actually liked the Theatre pretty much!

• Like 1

I agree with some of your points Colin_Cameron. the interior structural issues being a particular bug bear but cannot be changed although I had no problem yomping around deck 3, but the ones I don't agree are

the signage on the loos as I didn't have a problem but then I might be in the minority here a

the theatre isn't bland to me as it's in keeping with the ship plus the sound quality is great as is the line of sight and that to me is more important then trad. Cunard decor.

and not that we will ever bother with alternative dining unless it's a freebie [which at certain times it would be for Diamond'ers], the no tablecloth approach is very 'now' for modern establishments and even Michelin starred eateries often go with an unpretentious, bare tabletop look and I'm thinking specifically 3* L'Enclume here plus other less prestigious yet still acclaimed eateries

Queen Anne is a different concept and whilst still retaining the Cunard  ethos, cannot, or should I say, should not be compared with her sisters

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I mentioned that we were 'underwhelmed' by our visit to Sir Samuels... The same applies to the other speciality restaurants.

Also underwhelming?  The food, the appearance, or both?

Thanks for your commentary.  We're on in November and I can hardly wait.

• Like 2

Just now, alc13 said:

Also underwhelming?  The food, the appearance, or both?

Thanks for your commentary.  We're on in November and I can hardly wait.

I would say (and agree with OP) yes underwhelming,  it is the lack of a wow factor and dullish dark appearance (you cannot think QE and QV Verandah Restaurants glamour here)
Think airline lounge here.
However, white table cloths would def enhance it vastly. 

The food is good (Steaks, Dover Sole etc) but there is little atmosphere that could make you imagine you were in a New York or USA Steak House.

I suppose white tablecloths might strike the younger people Cunard hopes to attract as old-fashioned and stuffy.  Part of that formal atmosphere Cunard is ambivalent about maintaining. 

But I"m wondering about the specialty restaurants.  I've booked us some reservations for November.  Any feedback on those?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

After an eleven hour drive we're home.

Now where was I? Things still to be fixed: The food ordering system and the logo for the 'Gents'. The former will have to be fixed, and the latter is easy enough to do over time; The lift doors are still too quick for a lot of people, not just the infirm, and the now failing up/down indicators just makes things worse. And having to take 50% of the passenger lifts out-of-service at the busiest time, embarkation day - and on the last night- is just crazy. First and last impressions people!

I mentioned that we were 'underwhelmed' by our visit to Sir Samuels and I heard similar from other people. One of them summed it up, "It's amazing the difference something as simple as tablecloth makes." This is billed as a fine dining experience and although the food and the service are excellent, as far as the setting is concerned, you could be in the Lido - sorry, Artisans' Foodhall - and it could be argued that has a better view. The same applies to the other speciality restaurants.

However, it's the things that can't, or won't, be fixed that make Queen Anne our least favourite Cunard ship. The promenade deck, I don't use it but my wife does; The Queen's Room, 'cheap' with poor sightlines; and the theatre, a perfectly functional space but bland when compared with the other ships.

Will we sail on her again? Probably, but it would have to be the right itinerary, on the right dates, and at the right price. The problem is that now that Cunard have just-another-cruise-ship she has much more competition than the others.

I really enjoy going on Cunard ships, QA as much as the others, but I really think, if it involved an eleven hour drive, I would never ever sail on them. You must be pretty dedicated. I find the drive from here to Southampton stressful enough (as a passenger).

2 hours ago, alc13 said:

I suppose white tablecloths might strike the younger people Cunard hopes to attract as old-fashioned and stuffy.  Part of that formal atmosphere Cunard is ambivalent about maintaining. 

But I"m wondering about the specialty restaurants.  I've booked us some reservations for November.  Any feedback on those?

That's a rather odd assumption to make.

We may well fall into that "younger people" apparently being targeted (although I only see that being claimed on this forum rather than anywhere else, least of all in anything official), but I think those specialty dining restaurants would feel more premium with table linen. Certainly in Sir Samuel's and Aji Wa

• Like 2

I'm also a younger person and prefer proper table linens rather than feeling like I'm eating at a glorified greasy spoon. Certainly the experience shouldn't be lesser than what you get in the MDR if you are paying for a premium experience.

• Like 1

I like table linens, too.  Upscale restaurants these days seem to go in for bare table tops, however.  So maybe Cunard isn't aiming at attracting a younger crowd, but is just pursuing a more contemporary style.

• Like 3