Visas for Europe

Hi seasoned cruises, this will be our first European cruise 2024 and from what I've read we don't need a visa to embark the infinity in Athens and we don't require a visa for the one day visit to Turkey. Canadian passport for me and USA for my wife. I appreciate your feedback. 

Thanks

Kevin

11 hours ago, KDLKCruiser said:

I've read we don't need a visa to embark the infinity in Athens and we don't require a visa for the one day visit to Turkey.

Correct.

Visitors who come to Turkey on a cruise ship will not require a Turkish eVisa on the following conditions:

They will only stay in the city where the ship is docked. (Including ship excursions)

The visit does not extend over 72 hours, which is 3 days.

The ETIAS for Schengen will be imposed during 2025.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Unless it is delayed once again

You are right - lots of delays.

However, I think 2025 is quite realistic this time. But there might be a transition period and the system may be introduced in phases. Time will show.

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

You are right - lots of delays.

However, I think 2025 is quite realistic this time. But there might be a transition period and the system may be introduced in phases. Time will show.

It has been delayed several times, correct? Do you know when it was first supposed to go in effect? Was Covid the reason it was delayed originally?

25 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It has been delayed several times, correct? Do you know when it was first supposed to go in effect? Was Covid the reason it was delayed originally?

There are 29 countries in the Schengen area.  Along with COVID, the 2024 Olympic Games, war in Ukraine, etc.... is it a great surprise that this initiative has met with delays?

45 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It has been delayed several times, correct?

17 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

is it a great surprise that this initiative has met with delays?

No surprise.
In addition to COVID and the Olympic Games, there have also been a combination of technical, legal, and administrative challenges, that has led to the repeated delays of the ETIAS system.

The integration requires extensive testing and development, which has proven more complex than initially anticipated. The legislative process for approving ETIAS as well as ensuring compliance with data protection laws and other EU regulations has added further delays.

• Like 1