Vista v. Windstar Pride

Having sailed both this year and suspecting they appeal to the same pool of yacht rock listening clientele, might be fun to trade fours and compare.  (see recent review of Pride on CC for more on WS in n'Iceland)

Food - O by a nose based on fun themes, comfortable spaces and choices, WS post-stretch in the buffet (Veranda) could get crowded especially when the weather prevented outdoor seating but give WS a slight edge for quality taste and service -- but both very very good

Room - WS based on size for the $$ and quiet - french balconies let in fresh air, O has nicer, newer decor but noise has been a huge issue (see for example Sir Gary Bembridge's long positive vlog right up till cabin noise being a non-starter for future booking) we bring travel noise machines and rarely heard neighbors but when we did yeooow, win for WS

Public spaces - O by a lot, both sailings were full but O felt empty always - like eerie empty while WS felt tight post-stretch especially the common areas, addition of a small infinity pool on WS is good but might not be enough in warm climes and WS being much smaller rocks and rolls so bring your book of numbers, keys and your remedies

Service - WS by a nose but both very, very good

Embark/Disembark - no issues w/ either but WS was a tad easier on/off

Pricing structure - much prefer WS a la cart to Simply More (more $$$ likley)

Bottom line: both good values and food focused (Szechuan dumplings after the deal has been done anyone?) so would 'do it again' on either next year Explora Journeys 

• Like 1

I'm assuming you're discussing the Windstar Star Pride. She was launched in 1988. And then lengthened and massively refurbished in 2021.

"Carrying only 312 guests, Star Pride still tucks into small ports like Sanary-sur-Mer and Seville or narrow waterways like the Corinth and Keil Canal."

Vista holds almost 4 times as many guests and is much larger. A better comparison is to the 4 smaller R-class ships (e.g., Sirena). We're taking Sirena thru the Kiel Canal next week. But even these have nearly 650 passengers.

Star Pride - Wikipedia

100% agree MEFIowa as to your point on ship size but still would suggest from a consumer experience and price point perspective, O and WS compete to some extent for the same pool of cruisers.  From time to time on these boards others seem to agree.      

4 hours ago, Steelydad2021 said:

but noise has been a huge issue (see for example Sir Gary Bembridge's long positive vlog right up till cabin noise being a non-starter for future booking) we bring travel noise machines and rarely heard neighbors but when we did yeooow, win for WS

I just always tell my wife to turn up the Eagles the neighbors are listening. 

Well done ORV!

Dandewine lion - we can 'turn that jungle music down, just until we're out of town' but yeah WS I think is a decent option if one knows ahead of time what to expect

I might say forewarned is forearmed but 'only a fool would say that.'

• Haha 3

We are looking to try Windstar, so this comparison is very helpful. The problem is I would prefer their 3 larger ships (star class, 312 guests) and not the smaller ships with 150 guests, but smaller ships have better itineraries.. Also WS provides better value for us since we don't drink and prefer private tours. O became a bit expensive, lets see 2026 prices (does anyone know when rest of 2026 comes out?)

Before O Stu and I cruised many times on the small Windstar ships..no balconies, no elevator but the best times we ever had..maybe because we were young and more daring but we were on that line at least 6 times..and loved every moment..

In those years we were not comparing like we are today and I for one found it ore fun to find out the quirks when we got on the ship..

Jancruz1

• Like 6

8 hours ago, ak1004 said:

We are looking to try Windstar, so this comparison is very helpful. The problem is I would prefer their 3 larger ships (star class, 312 guests) and not the smaller ships with 150 guests, but smaller ships have better itineraries.. Also WS provides better value for us since we don't drink and prefer private tours. O became a bit expensive, lets see 2026 prices (does anyone know when rest of 2026 comes out?)

Better value is the goal, bangs for the bucks, penny saved can go towards another cruise and like that.  Gotta drink a lotta Black Cows, White Russians and Cuervo Golds to pay for those included "free drinks." 

Different valid views out there on itineraries, some sail mostly for route but given how often stops get cancelled for all sorts of reasons, at least picking a good ship is something that can be controlled. 

That said, IMHO in the Med, Europe is like a Disneyland for adults with sightseeing the more important while in the Caribbean its about the experiencing water and nature so ship time might matter more.  For example, we are much more likely to try wandering the town or eating off the ship at Med stops.

... also forgot to mention WS had amazing wifi like best at sea ever here at the western world.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Steelydad2021 said:

Better value is the goal, bangs for the bucks, penny saved can go towards another cruise and like that.  Gotta drink a lotta Black Cows, White Russians and Cuervo Golds to pay for those included "free drinks." 

Different valid views out there on itineraries, some sail mostly for route but given how often stops get cancelled for all sorts of reasons, at least picking a good ship is something that can be controlled. 

That said, IMHO in the Med, Europe is like a Disneyland for adults with sightseeing the more important while in the Caribbean its about the experiencing water and nature so ship time might matter more.  For example, we are much more likely to try wandering the town or eating off the ship at Med stops.

... also forgot to mention WS had amazing wifi like best at sea ever here at the western world.  

Completely agree. And I would probably not sail in the Caribbean on either of them. We will be trying the MSC Yacht.

But speaking about cancelled ports, I would probably still prefer to be on a ship like Vista on unexpected sea day than on a 5 ton small MS ship. 

22 hours ago, Steelydad2021 said:

... would suggest from a consumer experience and price point perspective, O and WS compete to some extent for the same pool of cruisers....      

Though for price that means a discussion of the various cabin types on O. And I'm focusing more on the 4 R=class and 2 O-class ships, than Vista. That range from inside G-F to porthole window D-C to basic veranda B and concierge veranda A. (The PH and above even more expensive.) And while prices may vary considerably for the O cabins, the overall experience on the ship in the public areas, lounge, pool, etc. will be essentially the same, with only a few variations, for the various cabin levels.

10 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Though for price that means a discussion of the various cabin types on O. And I'm focusing more on the 4 R=class and 2 O-class ships, than Vista. That range from inside G-F to porthole window D-C to basic veranda B and concierge veranda A. (The PH and above even more expensive.) And while prices may vary considerably for the O cabins, the overall experience on the ship in the public areas, lounge, pool, etc. will be essentially the same, with only a few variations, for the various cabin levels.

To me the proper comparison would be OV since WS is mostly no verandas (verandas are typically MUCH more expensive), and then comparing OV on O ships to OV on the bigger WS ships, and R ships on the smaller WS ships since they are similar sizes.

Many European sailings on WS are under $400 USD per night in OV. O is closer to $500. 

1 minute ago, ak1004 said:

Many European sailings on WS are under $400 USD per night in OV. O is closer to $500. 

Though O pricing is what it is based on when you book and if you booked or rebooked during a sale.

We were $350 (B3) and $380 (A3) per cabin per day on Riviera in the Med Oct-Nov, 2023.

Now we're $490 (F) and $570 (C1) per cabin per day on Sirena in the Baltic Aug-Sep 2024. Booked the 2nd part, 10 nights, in May 2022 (so no SM). Then added the first part, 12 nights, in July 2023 (during SM sale).

Comparing pricing is a whole album, maybe a double album or triple and IMHO, they deliberately make it extra convoluted and tough do apples-to-apples although price per night is a good start to avoid the royal scam.  I envy those who have the time and attention to make spreadsheets.

But then how to you value something like having great wifi if that's important?

9 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Before O Stu and I cruised many times on the small Windstar ships..no balconies, no elevator but the best times we ever had..maybe because we were young and more daring but we were on that line at least 6 times..and loved every moment..

In those years we were not comparing like we are today and I for one found it ore fun to find out the quirks when we got on the ship..

Jancruz1

Reminds me our river cruise on Uniworld that we did last year.. a tiny 150 sqft cabin with a small window, only one dining venue and one small bar. But it was one of the best cruises we ever had. 

But this cruise had no sea days. Most of the time in ports. I cannot imagine spending a full sea day on one of those tiny ships, and WS small ships look similar to river ships.

10 minutes ago, Steelydad2021 said:

Comparing pricing is a whole album, maybe a double album or triple and IMHO, they deliberately make it extra convoluted and tough do apples-to-apples although price per night is a good start to avoid the royal scam.  I envy those who have the time and attention to make spreadsheets.

But then how to you value something like having great wifi if that's important?

Price is obviously only one of the factors. To me, if the itinerary is good and the price reasonable, I book. $50-100/day difference won't make it or break it. WiFi is important, but having variety of dining options is important too.

One of the factors to consider is good space to passenger ratio. O newer ships have much better ratios than WS - do you feel it while on the ship, or it's more a theoretical number? 

44 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

... To me, if the itinerary is good and the price reasonable, I book. $50-100/day difference won't make it or break it....

Yes, I suspect the vast majority of us would agree. We always book first for itinerary (looking for port-intensive cruises in interesting places) and second for price (trying to get a sale, either at initial booking of rebooking prior to final payment). Both are important.

Yes, yes.  Price per day and space to passenger ratios are uber useful #'s.   

Also agree as to Uniworld.  Room size is a joke but who cares when its all about the adult European Disneyland like stops?  Few is who.

Food is subjective but who does not like great food in nice rooms?  Nobody is who.  And O and WS seem to stress and largely succeed in that area.

Vista was at capacity but felt empty, ghostly even, which the staff said was typical b/c the older demographic stayed in their rooms and the ship was overwhelmingly older.  A comedian started his set saying Holland was really really old only to have a guy in a walker come in late and sit in the front row middle so not sure he read the room well.  Funny/not funny.  We are all on the march.

Vista Wifi was realy bad though compared to WS if that matters.  WS was 'no static at all.'

Only risk w/ putting itinerary first is how often its ends up w/ the unexpected sea days.  "The surf was easy on the day I came to stay' but then it could be 'danger on the rocks' ... its the weather so whayagoing to do?

• Like 2

I love Oceania. We were on Vista in January.  Had a good time. We were on Marina in May.  We have sailed many times on Oceania. Overall, our favorite ship is Marina.  We usually rebook winter cruises on Oceania. However, we didn’t this year. Why? We aren’t big fans of Simply More. We seldom drink and aren’t interested in tours in the Caribbean. In Europe, we enjoyed simply more more.  We took excursions. Some were good. Some were just ok. For the most part, we were able to enjoy visiting most ports.  This winter we are sailing on Windstar Star Pride.  We love Windstar for warm weather cruises.  If I want to buy excursions, I can. They don’t include excursions.  That model fits us best.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I love Oceania. We were on Vista in January.  Had a good time. We were on Marina in May.  We have sailed many times on Oceania. Overall, our favorite ship is Marina.  We usually rebook winter cruises on Oceania. However, we didn’t this year. Why? We aren’t big fans of Simply More. We seldom drink and aren’t interested in tours in the Caribbean. In Europe, we enjoyed simply more more.  We took excursions. Some were good. Some were just ok. For the most part, we were able to enjoy visiting most ports.  This winter we are sailing on Windstar Star Pride.  We love Windstar for warm weather cruises.  If I want to buy excursions, I can. They don’t include excursions.  That model fits us best.

Couldn't have said it better. 

Had a good time on O (bring that travel noise machine).  But not a fan of Simply More or those excursions so its nice to have choices and occasionally WS might be an option especially on pricing.  Lift the needle and flip the record to the B side and there are some tasty tunes there too.  

• Like 2

By the by, Steelydad, I'm a huge Steely Dan fan, and enjoy your frequent lyrical allusions to their music. Are you now or have you ever been in the biz? Would love to meet up with you sometime for some SD analysis. No WS for us, but a few Os on the horizon...cause 'hey, nineteen' no more! 🎶😉