Remedy for canceled excursion?

Newbiejawn

23 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

Newport information is found over in https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/9-canadanew-england/ the 'Canada and New England' forum.

Newport is a tender port - the ship itself does not dock. Folks on the ship's excursions will have priority for tenders. Be aware of the posted time for returning to the tender dock.

Newport itself is quite walkable - I would look for some online port guides [before you embark ] and just wander around for some of the local attractions [e.g. the Cliff Walk]

Once we left the tender, we walked about a block to the free bus. They have several stops where they can drop you, we chose the easy portion of the Cliff Walk. You see the backs of the mansions but the view from the cliffs was the draw for me. You can Google things to do in Newport for more information, including a tour of the mansions.

There are also other things you can see on your own listed there.

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Cruise Critic @Newbiejawn!

Between the port guides that are available in the app, cruise critic port boards, and WHATSINPORT.COM you should be able to map out an itinerary identical or similar to the canceled excursion. It's quite simple IMHO

Edited by Ombud

Posted (edited)

I booked a private excursion to go landsailing on my current cruise.  Hurricane Ernesto didn't hit Bonaire, but did screw up its wind patterns so the excursion had to be cancelled.  I found out at 10 pm the night before.  That night, I wrote to every boat company in Bonaire and thankfully one had availability the next day - we rented a boat and it had a little raft in the back my kids loved riding through the water.   If princess has no excursions, contact all tour providers on tripadvisor who have good reviews and see what they can offer you.  

This was also the only time out of 14 days where the internet was screwed up and extremely slow.  I went to the front desk to see if they could help, and they told me they couldn't help with the internet but they still had some availability on Princess tours.  I scared the poor front desk person when I told him the truth - the other passengers really didn't want my 3 kids on their princess tour, and we are all much happier when my family takes private tours (we take private tours for just our family so no one else has to listen to my kids when they get bored).

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

When the special you booked disappeared, Princess probably did refund the correct amount. If the Halifax tour is too expensive now, maybe you have time to cancel it before the cruise or even once on the ship if you try first thing.

On 8/21/2024 at 3:50 PM, Newbiejawn said:

Going on my first cruise in three days, Enchanted Princess Canada/New England. Just found out that my Newport excursion booked through Princess was canceled three months ago without notice. They only partially refunded me because another excursion became more expensive after I booked. I did not notice the credit on my card and only figured all of this out by calling them today. These two changes have me really upset. There is absolutely nothing available in Newport now, all excursions that I would book myself are full. I called Princess and after waiting for about half an hour they disconnected. Any suggestions around how they might make this right, or did I just pick a horrible cruise line and this is just the start of my disappointment?

Sometimes you do get cancellations so maybe wait until you are aboard and go to the excursions desk and ask. Whilst I didn't have the same problem as yourself I did have a problem. Regularly I check to see the excursions available and also to check prices against what I have paid. Somehow and I have absolutely no idea what I did I cancelled one of my excursions. My wife's booking was still there. So I rang Princess because the excursion was now another $30 more. However their customer services guy didn't seem to have the faintest idea of what he was doing. It ended up me having to re-book at the extra $30. Not thrilled about it, but at least it came out of my OBC.

Sorry to OP that this has happened.  I have had an excursion cancelled but I was notified and had time to rebook.  I can see that the reason your Halifax excursion went up was because you  were no longer booking 2 excursions.  That's the problem with the digital age - computer decides, based on the rules, not on good customer service.

I agree with other posters. if the Halifax excursion is now too expensive for what it is - cancel it.  You will get a full refund.

As far as the stress, I really hope you can put the frustration behind you and enjoy the fact you will be going cruising.  If everything else is good for you, I hope you don't give up on Princess or cruising.

I am a fan of checking the Roll Call for others on the cruise who may have a private excursion booked. We did the Eclipse cruise earlier this year and connected with some really nice folks ( @cruisetilidrop ) and did the best Whale Watching excursion in Cabo. It can really make a difference if you connect with people and join to do a private excursion. Generally much less expensive than Princess excursions and often much better due to smaller crowds and more personalized interaction with the guides.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/22/2024 at 9:50 AM, Newbiejawn said:

And it gets worse - I have since found out (not by Princess, they did not disclose this, but rather Travel Agency) that they also took my $100 onboard credit to pay even more for the Halifax trip.

if you are using a TA, they should be able to provide you with a printout of all the charges that were made to your account. Shouldn't they also be fighting this for you?

Also, if you are using a TA, would THEY be notified of the cancelled excursion instead of you?

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1