Celebrity Eclipse Sky Lounge closed during 12 day cruise

quicklabs

14 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

Not only do I suggest I 100% think the Hotel Director and the Captain should have the power to make decisions to remedy a guest service issue.  

They do. There have been bottles of wine given out as compensation to some.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

Not only do I suggest I 100% think the Hotel Director and the Captain should have the power to make decisions to remedy a guest service issue.  

To the extent of unilaterally abrogating a contact with a paid client of RCG? 

I think the Board of Directors at RCG might differ with you on that, but it is possible to take it up with them.  You'll get more attention if you hold a fair number of RCL shares, however.  Right now, I believe there's a few over 250 million shares outstanding, so it may take a bit of an investment.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, canderson said:

I think the Board of Directors at RCG might differ with you on that, but it is possible to take it up with them.  You'll get more attention if you hold a fair number of RCL shares, however.  Right now, I believe there's a few over 250 million shares outstanding, so it may take a bit of an investment.

You seem to think the most important people are the ones who signed a contract for the most money and the rest of us can just jump off the balcony.  

Do you know anyone else who signed a contract with Celebrity?  Maybe a few thousand contracts?  I guess you’ll say that doesn’t matter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Travel-and-See said:

You are suggesting that Celebrity would fire a captain for making a decision on how to handle a situation on the ship they are assigned to? That's a very bold claim.

The captain obviously has a lot of leeway and discretion.  They also know before the cruise even starts that this event and any other planned events that will be taking place during the cruise.  So it's not really a "situation" that requires an on the fly intervention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

It's a publicly traded company with a huge corporate structure.  Do you think managers of WalMart stores get to say how their stores are laid out?  Every peg and inch of shelf space is already accounted for in Bentonville long before tomorrow's trucks show up.  Think again.

It's the manager's job to execute, not innovate.  Just how it is.

The only person outside of corporate offices who actually does have the authority to do what you're describing would be the captain, though afterward, he/she likely wouldn't be a Celebrity captain for very long.

That's a great comparison.  "Miami" controls everything.  It was their decision to place Park West up there and only they can make modifications in this decision.  As another example, we were talking with some staff about issues related to the menu changes.  The ship's executive chef has no power to change anything about it.  Not one single iota.  If every single passenger were to send back the amuse bouche, he would have to continue to serve it until told otherwise.  I can't imagine how frustrating this must be for every director/manager on the ship to have such little power.  I feel badly for them.  It is entirely a case of centralized control, centralized execution.    The Captain would never get involved in stuff like the Park West situation, nor should he.  His responsibility is the safety and well-being of the passenger, crew and ship, not getting into the weeds of allocation of space in a lounge.   

Edited by quicklabs
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, RichYak said:

A gesture. Which is more than they owe anyone for what amounts to an annoyance.

For some the Sky Lounge is the top attraction.  Think of inside cabins ,  cold weather cruises, etc.  The peoples who are not in the suites …

Celebrity is riding the cruise boom but that will not last forever…

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I needed that laugh.  One of the major lounges is closed for most of a cruise but that’s a minor inconvenience?  Sure maybe if you’re in the Retreat.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I needed that laugh.  One of the major lounges is closed for most of a cruise but that’s a minor inconvenience?  Sure maybe if you’re in the Retreat.

I agree with you, zitsky.  It ultimately affected everyone on the ship who fought for places to sit.  Again, the outside could hardly be used on this very cold weather cruise, so that made indoor real estate at a premium. 

Edited by quicklabs
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, RichYak said:

An annoyance would have been Park West taking over the space for 1 day. Not the entire cruise. 

This is an advertised space and amenity. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Were Retreat passengers permitted in the Sky Lounge while it was closed?

5 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

An annoyance would have been Park West taking over the space for 1 day. Not the entire cruise. 

This is an advertised space and amenity. 

Last August, I sailed Summit from Bayonne to Iceland and never once set foot in the Sky Lounge. It's amazing that I survived.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Last August, I sailed Summit from Bayonne to Iceland and never once set foot in the Sky Lounge. It's amazing that I survived.

What class did you sail? Where did you spend the majority of your time on a sea day? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

What class did you sail? Where did you spend the majority of your time on a sea day? 

It was Summit. I can't think of any one particular place that I spent most of the time. I recall being on deck 4 promenade for the entirety of Prins Christian Sund. Sailaways from the ports were mostly on deck 11 above the pool deck or Sunset Grill. I went to lectures in the theater. I read books in my stateroom.

I think this might have been the cruise where we had to go to the Sky Lounge at one point for Immigration. Other than that, I wasn't in there at all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I recall being on deck 4 promenade for the entirety of Prins Christian Sund. Sailaways from the ports were mostly on deck 11 above the pool deck or Sunset Grill.

I meant what class of room did you have.  And it sounds like you had good weather for your cruise - which naturally means there is less demand for indoor spaces. 

57 minutes ago, canderson said:

Just re-read that.  Should have said "contract", not "contact".

7 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

I meant what class of room did you have.  And it sounds like you had good weather for your cruise - which naturally means there is less demand for indoor spaces. 

Oh sorry, we had a Sky Suite. Weather was a mixed bag. Promenade deck 4 is mostly undercover so we used that when we wanted a view during rain, that or our balcony.

Edited by RichYak

I think we are all missing the point. No one frim Celebrity will read our comments and say hey, maybe we should do things differently! People from the Retreat had no where to go as even their spaces were cold! Please fill out the survey and copy paste anything you’ve written here to the corporate email in this thread. Maybe just that will make things move!

• Like 1