Sailing QV Next Week

foodsvcmgr

Hello everyone - in a week’s time we will be flying Newark to Rome to join QV for her voyage of September 2-16 in the Med, Britannia balcony, Deck 6.

While I don’t plan on doing a blog I’ll try to answer any questions.

On my return will do a review and try to address the various issues of interest here, dress code, food, changes, cuts, entertainment, etc.

I’m particularly interested to compare this sailing with my QV British Isles cruise one year ago and also my most recent Celebrity cruise to South America this past January.

• Like 7

I was on there between 5th and 19th August, so will be very interested to compare notes. Going straight back to work from Tuesday, I've not had time to put a review together yet, but will certainly do the same. 

What I would definitely say, though, is to be prepared for it to be significantly more casual than you will be expecting. While on the gala nights, the restaurant team were busy handing out jackets to certain disgruntled guests (or sending them away to the Lido), it was noticeably casual on 'smart attire' evenings. How much of this was due to the heat, and how much due to the eclectic mix of nationalities on board I don't know. Naturally for some on here this would signify the end of the world as we know it, but it made absolutely no difference to the quality of the service on offer, which I have to say was exemplary from the Captain downwards. 

Air transfers were another story entirely. Not Cunard's fault, but loads of room for improvement in proactively dealing with issues and providing assistance at the time, rather than apologies afterwards. 

The ship experience itself though? I'd be back on board tomorrow if I could. Wonderful. 

• Like 2

Thanks King Amo - I’ll pack the tux to cover the four formal nights and I prefer to wear a jacket for smart casual unless the heat in the Britannia is oppressive but will certainly reduce the number of ties packed.

I certainly expect to enjoy the rest of the experience as you did.

34 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Thanks King Amo - I’ll pack the tux to cover the four formal nights and I prefer to wear a jacket for smart casual unless the heat in the Britannia is oppressive but will certainly reduce the number of ties packed.

I certainly expect to enjoy the rest of the experience as you did.

Good plan. I wore the tux for the four galas (and noted that many more people went with the theme than I was expecting, including numerous masquerade masks at early dinner on that night), and had a long sleeved collared shirt and smart trousers for the other nights, but I could probably have counted the number of guests wearing ties on two hands. 

If packing's tight, I'd certainly recommend ensuring you have enough daywear given the heat in ports, rather than worrying about having lots of jackets for smart evenings. 

I find the regular comments about ties very odd. If ones shirt collar fits, a tie should not be uncomfortable. And as a garment I think my ties are lighter than most other things I might bring.

As for the heat in ports, unless it's New York and the ship has to be cleared, if the air-con is working I don't see the need for particularly lightweight clothing.

• 2 weeks later...

A few updates re: topics of recent interest here.

Having boarded Monday I’m very impressed with food and service in Late seating thus far.

Excellent Beef Wellington tonight.

No evidence of any cuts since last year other than the evening canapés, however three different bowls of snacks are presented with your cocktail in Commodore Club.

World Club party tonight, Sr. Officer’s Party coming Friday at 7PM in the Yacht Club, a nice time and venue.

As others have mentioned Casual nights are shirt and slacks for most, I’ve added a sport jacket.

Tonight’s formal night was almost entirely black tie in the party and Britannia with a few dark suits with ties.

Great cruise so far!

• Like 6

16 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

A few updates re: topics of recent interest here.

Having boarded Monday I’m very impressed with food and service in Late seating thus far.

Excellent Beef Wellington tonight.

No evidence of any cuts since last year other than the evening canapés, however three different bowls of snacks are presented with your cocktail in Commodore Club.

World Club party tonight, Sr. Officer’s Party coming Friday at 7PM in the Yacht Club, a nice time and venue.

As others have mentioned Casual nights are shirt and slacks for most, I’ve added a sport jacket.

Tonight’s formal night was almost entirely black tie in the party and Britannia with a few dark suits with ties.

Great cruise so far!

Is the Senior Officer's Party also have the Captain of the Queen Victoria attending this party? Since I will be aboard the QM2 on November 20th of this year, I hope to see that things are back to normal before Covid 19. Also are the behind the scenes ship board tours that cost $120 being offered aboard the Queen Victoria for this cruise? When I was last aboard the QM2 in October,2022 I was told that there would be no behind the scenes ship board tours on this crossing but they maybe will be offered again in the future.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cruise Liner Fan said:

Is the Senior Officer's Party also have the Captain of the Queen Victoria attending this party? Since I will be aboard the QM2 on November 20th of this year, I hope to see that things are back to normal before Covid 19. Also are the behind the scenes ship board tours that cost $120 being offered aboard the Queen Victoria for this cruise? When I was last aboard the QM2 in October,2022 I was told that there would be no behind the scenes ship board tours on this crossing but they maybe will be offered again in the future.

The captain did attend bothe parties last week. Yet, this is never guaranteed, he might have other responsibilities. Yesterday, the staff captain stood in for him at the CWC party. The captain joined only towatds the end.

The behind the scenes tour is curently offered 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, carlmm said:

The captain did attend bothe parties last week. Yet, this is never guaranteed, he might have other responsibilities. Yesterday, the staff captain stood in for him at the CWC party. The captain joined only towatds the end.

The behind the scenes tour is curently offered 

Thanks for your response and I'm happy that things seem to have gone back to normal.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Lots of chipping and repainting of balcony fronts today in Toulon as well as indoor maintenance being performed in the Lido.IMG_6615.thumb.jpeg.84b0989b0f04231dcd8e7c34a9103fb3.jpeg

It is a good thing that Cunard is keeping the Queen Victoria in mint condition. I hope that Cunard is doing the same thing with the QM2, Queen Elizabeth & Queen Anne

• Like 1

Boy this is sure taking time.... they were chipping and priming her balconies on this side of the ship in May!  I have never been on a ship, in service, with more primer splotches than QUEEN VICTORIA and in three assorted colours, too.  She looked like a spotty 13 year old. 

Maintenance is good but not an attractive (nor particularly quiet or restful) prospect for those aboard at the time.  

They have 25 days to get this all done until we board in Barcelona.... so carry on painting, gentlemen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

They have 25 days to get this all done until we board in Barcelona

Not for me - three days and then the job stops for the next 21. Sorry but you will have to cope with the restart of painting when I am gone😂

• Haha 3

A beautiful sunny day at sea today enroute to Palma.

We have been fortunate in the ports so far with good weather.

Very well run and fairly priced Cunard tours to Pisa and Cassis, complimentary water shuttle into old town Toulon.

IMG_6501.thumb.jpeg.84c64b61dfda007a3730430622783e2f.jpegIMG_6610.thumb.jpeg.3e6e0f65dcc64d307c8225704be46cd5.jpegIMG_6607.thumb.jpeg.c183d4f1a083db885f1243712cc1cf31.jpeg

• Like 4

Currently running 11.9 knots towards Palma de Mallorca which will put us well ahead of schedule.

Captain states we will anchor a couple miles offshore tonight around 2130 then pick up the pilot tomorrow morning 0645 and proceed into berth.

• Like 2

Great to hear she is being cared for.  We are doing Turkey and Greek Islands on her next May and looking forward to trying Cunard for the firt time.

I am pleased how the dress standards for meals are managed.  We are travelling a long way so have luggage limitations and will bring a black suit for me and a formal black dress for my wife but, other than that, we will have neat casual.wear for the other nights.

I understand why Cunard manages its cruises differently from TA voyages and that makes sense.  The expectations are different and Cunard has to meet the market. 

People enjoy the couple of formal nights each week but are also on holiday and neat casual seems appropriate for the other nights.  Any more formality would probably be a turn-off and drive away first time Cunard customers and any less would mean Cunard would lose differentiation and Carnival may as well just rebrand the fleet as HAL.

• Like 1

Nice Cunard excursion to Soller from Palma de Mallorca today including return via mountain tunnels on a vintage electric train with wooden carriages.

To answer the question, yes, the Captain did appear and greet guests entering the Sr. Officers party last night.

Another Gala evening with almost universal participation in formal dress in any of the areas I passed through as well as Britannia.IMG_6728.thumb.jpeg.777ca3416d7902d051f93a9058ea49fd.jpegIMG_6717.thumb.jpeg.51bedd5ad3b7b5b5318cb2848cadb1ad.jpeg

• Like 7

After another beautiful day in Barcelona the seas picked up overnight for the first time since boarding in Rome last week.

Today we are enroute to Sardinia sailing 11.5 knots into 25-30 mph winds.

Like Palma, the plan is to anchor offshore tonight prior to tendering tomorrow.IMG_6944.thumb.jpeg.a6aa6ece32b0d81662b566c55a00cb89.jpegIMG_6899.thumb.jpeg.1f94438ace91edf4181bf57838f6044a.jpegIMG_6882.thumb.jpeg.d0619df8051e255ef59d889b8d1d5f8e.jpeg

• Like 4