Southampton hotels to cruiseport

1 minute ago, mrell345 said:

Can you walk with your bags from the downtown hotels to Southampton cruise port?  It doesn't look far on google maps.

We've done it a couple of times without any problem.  

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Southampton hotels to cruiseport
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

There are five different cruise terminals, all quite spread out. Some are more walkable than others, depending on where you’re staying.

Ahhh... an important detail! I was referring to Ocean Cruise Terminal Berth 46 and was staying at Novotel Southampton; there are a number of hotels closer to that pier.

Edited by d9704011

6 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Ahhh... an important detail! I was referring to Ocean Cruise Terminal Berth 46 and was staying at Novotel Southampton; there are a number of hotels closer to that pier.

I wouldn’t walk. It is possible, but a horrid walk along busy roads, and it will probably rain.

• Like 1

You can, but I wouldn't.

It doesn't make sense spending lots of money on a cruise and then wanting to walk some distance carrying luggage to save £10 on a taxi.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, d9704011 said:

As others have posted, it's not one to walk with luggage.

About 30 minutes, over a mile, alongside a busy but boring  main road.

A simple route, all on sidewalks, level ground, pedestrian lights to help you cross the road, so it's safe but no fun even in decent weather.

JB 🙂

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

As others have posted, it's not one to walk with luggage.

About 30 minutes, over a mile, alongside a busy but boring  main road.

A simple route, all on sidewalks, level ground, pedestrian lights to help you cross the road, so it's safe but no fun even in decent weather.

JB 🙂

Where have the senses of adventure, commitment and accomplishment gone?  A 20-25 minute walk with rolling luggage is hardly much different than what a lot of people insist on doing in large, busy airports all the time!

Of course, if the weather is bad, different situation.

Stayed at Room2 this past April for cruise out of Berth 46.  Could see the ship from our room, crossed the street and were there.

18 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Where have the senses of adventure, commitment and accomplishment gone?  A 20-25 minute walk with rolling luggage is hardly much different than what a lot of people insist on doing in large, busy airports all the time!

Why make life unnecessarily difficult? One of the joys of cruising is not having to deal with airports.

46 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

One of the joys of cruising is not having to deal with airports.

Agreed. But only applicable if you live fairly close to the departure/arrival port. I am looking forward to my next cruise which is a Southampton to Southampton one, so we can drive - but these are rare for my preferred cruise line. 

7 minutes ago, Harters said:

Agreed. But only applicable if you live fairly close to the departure/arrival port. I am looking forward to my next cruise which is a Southampton to Southampton one, so we can drive - but these are rare for my preferred cruise line. 

That is true. Being lucky enough to live where I do, I would never cruise other than from Southampton. 

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

A walk along West Quay Road isn't my idea of "a sense of adventure" 😉

Or "an accomplishment". And what need is there for "commitment"?

But each to their own

JB 🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

A walk along West Quay Road isn't my idea of "a sense of adventure" 😉

Or "an accomplishment"

Although driving along it successfully while trying to work out where you're going might well be an accomplishment. 😀

4 minutes ago, Harters said:

Although driving along it successfully while trying to work out where you're going might well be an accomplishment. 😀

Driving  along it on a saturday gives you all the time in the world to figure it out 😀

But a taxi driver will bypass the jam by taking Harbour Parade 🙂

JB 🙂

• Like 1

Here is an example of walking verse a taxi in Southampton.

From Southampton National Express station to Premier Inn West Quay

- I took a taxi under £10. Arrived relaxed.

- my sister and brother in law (he is fit for his age) came on a different Coach and walked, Thinking it didn’t look far on Goggle.   Sister was exhausted after pulling/pushing luggage on the sidewalk with people.

Get a taxi and arrive relaxed to the ship.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We once walked a short distance from a hotel to the cruise port for an Alaska cruise, and one of the wheels fell off my daughter's suitcase.   Something I recall when making this decision again.